Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Bailey had knee surgery 3 weeks ago and we're having trouble getting her to eat her Canidae food now. (The knee surgery went fine - but that's a whole 'nother thread)

She used to eat it the Canidae fine. We even took some of her food when she went in for surgery. After surgery, the first couple days in the hospital, she didn't want to eat much, so they gave her some canned food - I think it was Purina. We've tried mixing some canned in with her Canidae and she seems to be able to pick out the canned food and leave the Canidae. We've tried Iams & Alpo canned. She DOES eat so we're not worried about that, but seems like she's not eating the quality food we want her to eat. We now tried Beneful (kind of a chewy kibble) but she can easily pick that out and leave the Canidae. And the first ingredient in the Beneful is Ground Corn - not good.

So, our dilemma is...should we...
1) Keep mixing the 'crappy' food in with the Canidae and try to mix in less each time, or
2) Give her only Canidae and when she gets hungry enough she'll eat it?

Besides the canned not being as nutritious, we waste more because we pitch out what she doesn't eat.
With the Canidae - she pretty much free-feeds and eats about 2-3 cups a day. We put 6 cups in a bowl and it lasts 2-3 days. She never did overeat and her weight is fine.
She just eats a little at a time when she wants to - which makes it hard to mix in the wet stuff.
Also, thought about just mixing in some of the dog food gravy you can buy, or a little warm water, but then we're back to tossing out what she doesn't eat in a little while.

We do want her to eat, but we want her to eat good food. Seems like we're creating a monster by making her a 'finnicky' eater.

Any advice?

She doesn't get any table food and only gets Canidae treat biscuits and a little peanut butter in her Kong.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, sounds to me like she has discovered some "yummy" crummy foods....( who hasn't??) I have for some reason always fed Coco twice a day, morning and evening, with Canidae, mixed in warm water to soften, and a glop of plain yogurt stirred in. If she got finicky in the really hot weather....I would stir in some chicken broth ( canned Swanson's ) and let it soak in a minute. I have free fed other dogs strictly dry food, but I like feeding this way better. She eats 1 -/2 cups both feedings. The broth entices, and she can't pick it out!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Have you tried giving her rice and ground beef or finely cut up cooked chicken mix?

We have always used Iams and at one point one of our labs stopped eating, we switched from beef base to lamb or chicken (cant remb which) and she started scarfing it down

She may just not like the Canidae anymore, dogs do change their mind on food sometimes - neighbors husky did that after her surgery and they went to chicken and rice and then slowly added dry food in just bits at a time, and slowly Sascha began to eat the dry food also so they slowly cut back on the chicken and rice and eventually she went back to eating dry - you may need to try another brand besides the canidae

Good luck

G

·
Maya is on Blue Buffalo (Canidae upset her tummy) and she loves it. Eats it faster than the Canidae you may want to try that.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Will she totally not eat, or does she just eat small amounts? Not to sound silly, but with her lack of exercise, maybe she's just not that hungry right now? Personally, I wouldn't keep giving the canned to get her to eat if you don't want to feed canned food. I think she'll just keep getting used to having it and will want it more. Could you maybe find another dry food (different flavor) and mix in a little bit for now?

When Dex was little he would not want to eat sometimes and we would crumble a liver treat and mix it through and then he would eat. We only had to do this for a little while.

One final funny story - Kirby was a slow eater when we first got him. He would wander around and take his time eating. Dexter started trying to sneak and steal his food and now he has learned to focus on eating so he doesn't lose his meal :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You have been given some excellent advice!
The reason she likes the junk food is that they add sugar to it to make it taste good. They also add those cheap fillers from China...watch for anything from China! (Human food too.)
She may just be developing the Poodle appetite. They are very picky eaters and don't need much to get by. Labs eat everything in sight but Poodles are more of a social eater. They will stand there and watch, only eating when they feel like it.
I, too, free feed...for that very reason. I find that my Poodly types like to sneak in the garage and eat at night.
Nothing wrong with canned. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, canned was the first, most common dog food, they switched to dry kibble, adding preservatives, when the tin for cans became scarce and for no other reason. My holistic vet says table scraps are best, so long as you are eating and feeding wholesome foods.
But if the appetite thing really troubles you, you can ask the vet. They can run tests for various gastric problems. Poodles are prone to get Addison's which affects their appetite...but before jumping to scary conclusions, if she is otherwise active and normal, I'd just keep a close eye on things like "input vs output" and see if she is vomiting, watch for coat changes (dullness, falling out) or hot spots and skin irritations...all often related to diet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My Pep is on Canidae and just has never been a good eater. I know that when I tend to mix it with other stuff in order to get her to eat, she picks out what she wants. She is a smartie pants!!! I then just give her a half hour and then pick it up. Dumb Guide dog rules. She would love to just free eat. Thank goodness, theschool says they will now work with her on her eating and only feed her once a day, so she'll eat if she is hungry. I am just afraid they will think she is stressing and release her from training. Thank goodness, I have documented her palate on her monthly reports so they will hopefully see it is just her and not stress!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i'd try calling the vet and discussing Bailey's aversion to Candiae now.

Also like sue said , try feeding some canned Canidae in with the dry Canidae. OR like others said add a dash of liver in with it

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Combination approach

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

We got some Bil-Jac Liver Treats and crumbled a few of those in with her food and stirred it up. She did eat better then. I liked that suggestion because it is dry food and we can still leave her food out. Also, it seemed to work.

Also, am considering getting some of the Blue Buffalo and mixing it in with the Canidae. Maybe she'll like the taste of it better. Whew - it's expensive too $39.99 for a 30# bag. I think the Canidae is like $36 or $38 for a 40# bag.

Good thought by LMTOTH2 that she may not be as hungry since she is definately not as active. She is in an exercise pen most all the time that she is not on a leash for a walk or a potty break.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
For those of you with Country Max stores......Canidae is only $30 for a 40lb bag and other foods such as California Natural, Innova, etc are all cheaper there

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
anyone have a review of Innova? Or any of the other better foods??
Like the Blue Buffalo..or whatever it is called.
How about Fromms,
Newman's and that California natural....

I guess for a bit of variety from the Canidae, I have wondered which I could use.....

Just curious what you may know/think!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
There is a review site, but I don't have the link. I believe it is in the archives here too...but I wanted to say that California Natural is a good brand. I have researched a lot of different brands, tried them all, and my dogs prefer Canidae, but they did eat California Natural for a while...they are two that were not affected by the toxic substances from China. I think that Merrick is also US made, with no ingredients from China.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
thank you! i will read about Merrick...and California Naturals!

I don't know that I need to switch, but Coco seems a little disinterested in the Canidae right now. Maybe it is in food in general....she is in heat.
Could be she is just being weird.

8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
GENE you rascal, calling the kettle black perhaps? as they say it takes one to know one :wink:

I am feeding Peanut a dash of california natural with her Canidae
Max gets a dash of the chicken canidae with his normal canidae

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Me????????? Weird?????????????

Naw, can't be true!!!!

Denial is a dwelling place.

:shock:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts