Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quincy has always had soft stool - he's on Nutro for sensitive stomachs - but when he had diarrhea on and off for 10 days, I took him to the vet. They did a fecal sample and he had a parasite. The vet gave me flagyl at first and when he confirmed the parasite, we also got some more medicine and we put him on I/D the canned food (very bland) for sensitive stomachs. He was doing great - stools firmed up. Then I guess he got really hungry and helped himself one day to some dried mango from the cabinet (which is child proofed but he still manages to sometimes work stuff out, if it's not far enough back in the cabinet) and the next day ate a whole bag of potato chips. At first there was no ill effect and I switched him back to his normal food. It is now 2 days later and he really has diarrhea now. Could it take 2 days for the potato chips to work through his system?? We're back to the bland food and hopefully it will pass but was just wondering if anybody else had this time delay factor.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner will occasionally, out of the blue, come up with diarrhea and pudding like stools or it may happen when he has eaten something new. I was taking a sample to the vet each time and it would come back negative.

Now what I do is put an eye dropper of slippery elm bark on his kibble AM and PM for the first day. In addition I give him 1 or 2 pepto bismol tablets.
Yesterday, he had pudding stools. I did this and this AM they were firm and normal.

If the above doesn't work after 2-3 days of runny stools then I take a specimen to vet.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Could it take 2 days for the potato chips to work through his system??
I think it's possible. If it's not better on the bland diet in a day or 2 I would take a sample to the vet. I'm not sure how old Quincy is, but if he's very young I would call the vet to see what they recommend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts