Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter how much I bathe her, within a day or 2, Chloe has that doggy odor! She doesn't even go outside much right now other than to potty. Does anyone else have this problem and is there anything that can be done...other than spraying doggie perfume on her? :roll:

G

·
Found this comment...what do you think?

It's a musty scent on her hairless patches of skin. The Humane Society calls it "bald dog smell." I believe she has a yeast infection. Yes, of the skin.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, thanks for the link. Definitely sounds like this may be the problem. I am going to give her new diet a chance to work and if the problem still exists, I guess it is back to the vet for us. The smell to me, smells like a dirty wet dog. Chase smells like it if he hasn't had a bath in along time but he can go several weeks/even months before he gets this smell.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gene, things are turning out wonderfully. I am able to keep Chloe and she seems to know something was up because she has been on her best (which is still not great...but for her it's good) behavior.

I did a sniff test last night and she really didn't have a musty odor like the one described but I am not sure. I bought a large bag of a herring/rice formula specifically for skin issues. The lady at Petsmart was very helpful and even offered to give my money back if it did not work. It is rare that you get that type of service or find a store that really stands behind their products :).

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Thanks Gene, things are turning out wonderfully. I am able to keep Chloe and she seems to know something was up because she has been on her best (which is still not great...but for her it's good) behavior.

I did a sniff test last night and she really didn't have a musty odor like the one described but I am not sure. I bought a large bag of a herring/rice formula specifically for skin issues. The lady at Petsmart was very helpful and even offered to give my money back if it did not work. It is rare that you get that type of service or find a store that really stands behind their products .
Good luck w/the new food :) Just keep in mind that it may take awhile to see results. That's the tough part of food trials is that you have to give it several weeks (from what I was told) before you know if it's working.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Autumn, I was interested to read about Chloe's doggy odor troubles. I too am going through this at the moment with Tegan. We only bathe her a couple of times a year because of her fleece coat. She doesn't usually have any odor until a couple of weeks ago. She's also very itchy around her neck area. I bathed her 2 weeks ago using an oatmeal and aloe shampoo I bought off the vet, hoping this would help with the itching and smell. She did smell quite sweet for a couple of days and now she's stinky again. I have been wiping her over with pet wipes with vitamin E and aloe on them, as well as with damp cloths soaked in chamomile and mint but the odor still persists. Yesterday I noticed she has stinky feet so I washed her feet, I also cleaned her ears but could still smell her so last night I bought some doggy cologne but that reeks as well and I don't like her having to wear that, so don't think I will use that again.

Tegan has always been a fussy eater, I was posting in another forum last week about that, she decided to quit eating for a few days. This week I changed her food yet again and she seems to be OK with it for now. She turned 1 year old yesterday and so far has had about 4 changes of kibble. She gets bored after about 3 or 4 months and quits eating. Everything I feed her is only top quality, she was on Wellness Simple Food Solution venison until Sunday, now she's on GO, which is a Canadian made food with only 3 ingredients, including Salmon and potato. A friend suggested I change her collar to leather for the neck itching as it could be an allergy to nylon.

The 10 months I've had Tegan have been a lot of trial and error. She's had lots of tummy upsets, diarreah and vomiting, she's always scooting and had her anal gland expressed 4 times within 2 months, but not recently, even though she still scoots from time to time.

One of the reasons I decided on a labradoodle is because I had read they were easy to care for with little or no doggy odor, so I am baffled by this also.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, usually noone can get close enough to Chloe to even smell her as she starts the Doodle 500s anytime someone comes over :shock:. I bathed her last night so she smells like cucumber melon from her medicated shampoo...now if only that smell would last!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tegan says a big thank you to all her Doodle friends for their birthday greetings.

Only me and my husband have noticed this smell and it's from her feet only. I have sniffed her everywhere else but can't detect any odor, when I put my face close to her, she thinks I want kisses.

I called the vet this morning and made an appointment to have her feet checked out. I keep washing them and wiping them but they are stinky again a little while later, so decided I should have them checked for a fungus infection.

We had snow last night, so her feet had a good wash on our walk this morning - LOL. It's getting quite cold out in the mornings now at around -10oC this last couple of days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts