Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do they stop? In the past week Sadie has destoryed 3 Kong toys, 2 tennis balls, Nylabone teething rings, and a few other things. This after NOT destroying her toys for a while. Is this teething or what? When does it stop?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i think Toby s thru the teething period at just short of 7mos..

but, i suppose it could go much longer..i think chewing is something
they do till they just outgrow it..

have you found any teeth laying around on the carpet?..Toby was chewing up a toilet paper roll and i still noticed some blood spot on
the papers..

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
In my opinion, Sadie may not be teething...but may be breaking in her adult teeth. Dexter is not (and never was) a very strong chewer, but he did become stronger after getting his adult teeth. Both our doodles still have a pretty strong desire to chew and chew on their bones a bunch, but it's not as much as before. I think the stronger chewing phase lasts until at least 1 yr and maybe 1.5 yrs...but probably varies from doodle to doodle :)

I would remove any softer (stuffed) toys for now or she will probably just destroy everything...put it away until she's out of the chewing phase and give her toys meant for chewing :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wrigley is 5 mos old and has already lost most of his puppy teeth. But he is always chewing on something, and most of the time it's something inappropriate. Since he is now tall enough to reach into the bathroom trash cans, he loves to pick out used tissues & other paper products. He also loves my kids stuffed animals, or basically anything he can find to chew on. I always try to replace the inappropriate things w/his toys, but he just seems to take the most joy in chewing on something he shouldn't. I have some of the bitter spray, but I can't spray down everything in my house. My other dog was never a chewer. Do others out there have doodles that are still big chewers but are way past the puppy stage?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sherlock is 6 months old today. He's still chewing. Anything and everything. Basically anything that isn't tied down is fair game.

Yesterday he chewed up his bed in his crate :shock: He loves his crate too. I was a little surprised by that as we keep toys in there and rotate daily so he doesn't get bored. He took to his crate the very first night. Has slept through the night since day one with not one wimper.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
to-date i've found with 3 doodles

6mos they lost almost all baby teeth and CHEW , ignore when called etc hahaha
8mos start to chew again...need much time, attention, chewing toys

10mos old OKAY time to break in the adult teeth bigtime
this is when marrow bones or Tank bones by merrick along with Kong toys really helps out alot
do NOT let a doodle out of your sight at this age hahhaaaaaaaa

it does get better as they stop chewing and learn to steal :wink: (socks)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
So are you saying Beau is a handful? Cacao is only 5 almost 6 months. I am not looking forward to 10mon.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max wasn't a big chewer until around 10mos old
he shredded mostly toys and KONGS were the only rubber toys he didnt' bite thru

Peanut was our chewer hahaha
BEAU....is good right now he was horrible at 6mos old but i keep bones around and lots of kongs :wink:

G

·
Maya the 9.5-11 mos were the worst. She wouldn't listen and basically ran amok during this time. Then she hit 12 mos and it was like she matured overnight. Not saying she is perfect but I will take this over monkey puppy. through all her faults she really has only chewed on her toys and bones (Well except for the few tastes of my BF's coffee table leg)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Heather is right :) Most of the bad stuff gets much better after 12 months. Dex is still a little devil from time to time, but after 1 yr the chewing and the complete disobediance of adolescence improved greatly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, hopefully then I have some better behavior to look forward to. Because right now, at 5 mos, he jumps up & lays on the furniture, which he is not allowed on, and doesn't listen when I tell him to get off. He also has a horrible habit of stealing food off the table whenever it's on there, and seems to have no shame or fear when he is yelled at for it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
just when i thought i could leave him alone for 10mins. to water the lawn..

i came in and found the got my wallet and credit cards..along with 2
$5 bill s.. :cry:

upstairs..my daughter s student loan papers were in shreds.. :x

as lumbering as they might seem..they have very light feet..i put a
Christmas bell around his neck hoping to hear him when he s on
the move..yet he still able to slip away without a sound..you really need
eyes behind ur head to keep track of some of the doodles..

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
honestly...Dexter had 0 freedom before he was 8+ months old. We had him on a leash when he was loose in the house with us. Anytime he wasn't near us at that age he was off causing trouble so we felt the only way to catch him and correct him was to keep him always in sight. When we did start with him off leash, we would follow him to watch what he was doing. When we couldn't do this he was confined in the kitchen. I'm just saying at that age many of them just cannot handle any freedom.

Not that it's all perfect at an older age either...left them loose in the house when we ran some errands today and came home to find someone (I can only assume it's Dexter because I don't think I have ever seen Kirby do anything wrong) pulled dirt out of a potted plant and spread it over our are rug. Luckily it's something that can easily be cleaned, but those plants have now been moved :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
10mos old OKAY time to break in the adult teeth bigtime
this is when marrow bones or Tank bones by merrick along with Kong toys really helps out alot
do NOT let a doodle out of your sight at this age hahhaaaaaaaa
I can't wait!! Hahahaha! Jofi had her adult teeth by the time she was 6.5 months (as far as I could tell). She went through 2 weeks of chewing and she did some damage, but since she's been absolutely fine - not once having destroyed one of her own toys. Ok, I won't mention the two pairs of summer shoes which have succumbed to the doodle-goddess (she makes subtle adjustments - removing straps and insoles).

My tip - make sure your doodle always has something 'good' to chew on - a good strong chew-toy - or in Jofi's case, a rawhide or a filled bone. Ok, it's not as good as a shoe or sock - but doodles will 'tolerate' a bone if they have to. That keeps them busy and out of trouble (mostly).

it does get better as they stop chewing and learn to steal Wink (socks)
Jofi learned looooooong ago how to steal - it's just a matter of polishing her act i.e. how to conceal three pairs of socks in her mouth at once, how to steal and tear up a toilet roll or two on the couch while 'mummy' is drinking tea checking e-mails. Perfecting the art of looking innocent and cute thus evading any repercussions for 'moving and adjusting' household items.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts