Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two 4 month old puppies having peeing outside down pat. But it seems every few day they are pooping in the house and I walk them for up to 10 minutes each time. My mother isn't a big dog fan any way and she said we will have to give my dogs way if they don't stop any time soon because she said they will stain our new carpet. So I'm desparate for advice I love my dogs and don't want to lose them.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that you are under such pressure. I guess your dogs need more than ten minutes. Do you have your dogs confined to a small area of the house so you can watch them real closely for signs of having to go to the bathroom? Can you confine them to an area where there is no carpet until they are housebroken? You also have to clean the area with something like Nature's Miracle or white vinegar and water so the smell is removed so they don't return to the same spot over and over. It takes dogs several months sometimes to be housetrained, and even then, they can have accidents. I hope you can find a way to keep them off the carpet and when you do allow them on the carpet, watch them like a hawk. Puppies are alot of work and it's a pain sometimes, but it will pay off in the end. Sometimes it takes catching them in the act or about to commit the act, telling them "no" and taking them outside immediately and tell them to "go potty" outside. When you take them out, do you tell them "go potty" and then praise them when they do? Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oooh, it is really hard to have two puppies to train...I have been there...it is a real challenge!
I understand your mother's frustration, but it is something that the whole family should be involved in, the training. Otherwise, it will be tough to get a handle on.
What happens when the pups make messes? Are they punished? Do the pups hide to poop or do it right in front of you?
Sometimes it just takes longer for some dogs than others...and it depends on how they were raised at their breeder's home too.
Most breeders don't have the time to potty train their puppies, yet they do try to teach the puppies that there are certain places to go.
Crate training is important. Your pups should be in a crate if you can't watch them carefully. When they are out, you should have them tethered to you (you will need someone to help you by tethering the other pup to them because you can't do it with both.)
This link might have some helpful advice...at the bottom it has a link to houstraining too. http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts