Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need some serious advice on how to get more hits on our website. Our first litter we had at least 3-5 a day for like 3 weeks. Is this a bad time of year for new puppies? I have taken the advice and put our puppies in ALL the free ads I could find and joined breeders club. So far after looking at the other puppies for sale we have a VERY competative price. Oh and Lea and Maggy both are scheduled for their OFA hip testing on the 18th! Skeet will be done in October!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Well your pups are adorable, so it isnt because they aren't cute !

could it have to do with the parents hips not being tested yet, I think that matters to a lot of people and it could be the time of year, training a puppy in the snow isnt as easy as no snow :(

I wish you the best, wish I could take them all home, they are adorable

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Lindsie, I think your biggest problem is not having the testing done on your adults. The more testing you have done, the more inquiries will come your way on your puppies. Good luck to you :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
many breeders won't even have a litter unless they already have a pretty good size interest list.

Just something to think about if you are serious about breeding.

(Of course all the stuff Jac said too :))

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
movistar said:
many breeders won't even have a litter unless they already have a pretty good size interest list.

I agree with this in principal, but in reality how many deposits do the doodle breeders here have before breeding? ie. do you have 3,4,5 deposits months before heat.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I took Linz question to be
how to get more hits on our website.
People don't know if she has a guarantee, has tested or anything else if they don't know she's even "out there".

Linz, What's really helped my site to draw in people aside from the ads, are the blog articles I wrote and posted on my site. My stat counter tells me which search engines people find me through, and exactly what phrases they used in their search that connected to my articles. This way I know which are working, what I should add, etc.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
KingstonTodd said:
movistar said:

I agree with this in principal, but in reality how many deposits do the doodle breeders here have before breeding? ie. do you have 3,4,5 deposits months before heat.
I think there are quite a few breeders out there that actually do have deposits ahead of time or at least an interest list. I gather an interest list and keep in contact with them about upcoming litters and refer those on that I cant help. I personally dont take deposits before a litter is born.

Of course in an ideal world you would have ALL puppies sold prior to breeding and while I have heard of that I think its very rare and really specialized dogs. It has never happened to me :)

Breeding like any other small business requires marketing research and a business plan (in my opinion) You have to learn breed standards, what generations are out there and where they are heading, what foundations are well established and where more are needed, and of course the publics likes and desires. Testing, guarantee and breeding style come into play too! There is a LOT to consider :) (It makes my heads spin LOL)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The thing most people don't realize about breeding is it takes years to build a list you just don't start breeding one day and have a list of people the next. You have to advertise and sell and get referrals from families, it takes time that is why so many fail. They depend on the money from every litter and you just can't do that, you may sell half the litter really fast and the other half slow and at a reduced price. Also going into debt to raise dogs is a big mistake others make you can't do that and depend on a litter to pay the bills for you.

When you breed you simple have to do it for the love of the breed and the dogs, of course you have to make money to pay for things that's a given but don't ever count on a litter to pay the bills, to many things can happen. I know others have said this also but it can't be said enough. Another thing is not every family can afford 2500.00 for a dog that is a huge luxury if you think about it. :shock:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
martha ....i have even seen a reputable breeders that do full testing will every so often advertise in the paper as it can get their name/dogs in view of the not only the local Rochester area but surrounding areas such as buffalo, syracuse etc.

they run a week or 2wk ad on top of their website and referrals.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I may be ignorant w/how search engines work, but is it possible to get your site to pop up on google or yahoo if someone searches "labradoodle and arkansas"? Have you tried Craig's List?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks you guys! All these suggestions are so VERY helpful!! We have advertised in our local paper, but it does seem to be that Labradoodles in Arkansas are still kinda rare. I have received a couple of calls from some VERY nice families, who simply could not afford the puppies, but would make EXCELLENT homes. At least I know if I have to place an older pup it will be to a nice family. They are just getting so stinkin cute though, I may end up keeping them all for myself!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You can always donate them to guide dogs or any of the 'Service' organizations and take the tax break!!! You would be doing a nice thing for someone who cannot afford a service animal :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Linz, for me, a big part of the fun about breeding Labradoodles is being able to introduce them to people who aren't familiar with them.
They make such a GOOD impression and are SO cute! I take mine to town with me and have had a lot of people come up to my car asking what they are, if they can pet them, and where to get one. ;)

It's a really easy way to get them seen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts