Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so little scout went to her second puppy pre-school class yesterday and she has gone from the best in the class to... lets just say not the best in the class. All the other puppies have caught up to her when it comes to sitting and walking on the lead, but now when we have been learning to stay, the other puppies took to it straight away, while scout does the exact opposite and moves as soon as i try.

The technique the trainer is using is to hold a treat between the thumb and forefinger, get the puppy to sit and then with the three remaining fingers, tap the dog on the nose with the back of the fingers, straighten your body up while saying 'stay' and then step back a pace or two.

As soon as i tap scouts nose, it is as if it is the command to get up and walk away. I don't even have time to straighten or take a step back.

He said that not all dogs take to this method but i don't know of any others.

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone else had this problem with their puppy?

·
Registered
576 Posts
We just learned in puppy class that the hand sign for "stay" is your open hand, palm towards the dog, an inch away from the nose. Continue to hold up your hand as your back away slowly...I continue to say "stay" but I was told to only say it once :roll:
The first times you just get a foot or two away for five seconds...then reward. Then try to make it further for longer durations.

G

·
When I taught Maya stay I did as SadieFern did open palm and say stay. I did not back away though. Distance comes later. Until she was in a stay reliably for 3 minutes I did not try moving. Once I did add distance i was easy. Now I am adding distance where she can no longer see me. We are up to one min with that.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We did what Heather said...we had Dexter just sit (and sometimes down) when we stood next to him. We would release him "OK" and treat. We added distance later. The more tough one is getting them to stay in one room when you are in another (even more tough w/2 of them).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with the open palm in front of the nose. I also think it's way too ambitious for a dog to learn "stay" and then start walking away all in one day. I think we worked on just sitting and staying for at least a week - and then added baby steps back.

Good luck with the training. Practice all week and then you'll be top of the class again. :lol:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We also use the palm in front of the face saying "stay" and gradually lengthen space and time.

I don't know about touching Tanner's nose, I think that would distract him.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
annieG said:
We also use the palm in front of the face saying "stay" and gradually lengthen space and time.
YEP!! That works for us too! But..............we'll see what happens at Bogie's FRST class tonight!!! :roll:

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm working with Ozzie on this one too. I used the "clicker" method and eventually the "light bulb" went on and Ozzie understood what I wanted of him. He's far from perfect but is improving. I won't move on to any other commands until he gets this one behavior perfect.

·
Registered
273 Posts
We were taught stay in a really unique way that worked very well for us. I'll try to share it if I can do it without making this too confusing. Wish i had a video.

First, in puppy class we were told never to add a word until you were consistantly getting the behavior. If you keep repeating the word as they get up and walk away you are teaching "stay means to get up and walk away!" Instead use whatever you do to signal when a behavior is done right - either a clicker or a word like "Yes!" or "Good". Once you are able to repeat the behavior over and over then you can add the command - either click then say "Stay" or "Yes! Stay" or "Good!Stay".

To teach "stay" the instructor gave us each a food dish to put a treat in. Place your puppy in a sit while holding the dish. While keeping your feet in the same spot, try to place the dish down on the ground an arms length away from the puppy. The very second the puppy moves to get up - pick up the dish. Sometimes you won't even get the dish to the ground before they move. Don't say anything at all. Keep repeating this over and over. The puppy will quickly learn that moving out of a sit gets the dish and the treat taken away and will sit still. You can then say whatever release word you are going to use and encourage them to get the treat in the dish.

Once they get the hang of this you can add the word stay and whatever hand signal you are going to use and you can also start placing the dish further and further away. Feeding times at home are also great practice for this.

You just have to make sure you are quicker then the puppy and always able to pick the dish back up before they can get the treat if they break the stay before you release them.

Heather

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK i also use the open palm going across our doodles face and say stay
no distance though for at least one week
HOWEVER they did have us tap their nose the 1st class as more of an attention getter......then we used open palm afterwards

When i feed all 3 doodles i make them sit and say STAY
they do NOT eat till i say OKAY ---as this helps to reinforce a sit/stay

going out the door and coming in....i make them sit/ stay then they can follow me after i go first
i do this all day and night long.

BEAU took 1 week to learn stay and another week and half to learn to stay while i walked 4ft away facing himand stand there saying nothing
lastly then i walk around him and release.

Every other night I have all 3 doodles do a 30 min lie down/stay which really aids in training and respect.

with puppies going thru so many stages they can take a week or two sometimes to learn things
patience, love, and daily training

Max surprised all the trainers and people in class last night
he did a 10min Stay lying down with no leash and no treats
and my daughter and DAVE walked in , ok max cried almost the whole time as he LOVES my daughter and gets an instant perm
but he never moved an inch :shock:

BEAU? hahhaha he lasts about 2minutes :wink:
and in class 5........we weren't prepared rather i reviewed weeks 1-4 instead since Beau wasn't ready. I let a puppy's maturity dictate how far we progress and try to make sure basics are down pat

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a dead set miracle!!!! This is an update on Scouties staying problems...

We went to our third puppy preschool class on Wednesday and Scout still had not 'stayed' for even half a second. Every time i said the word 'stay' she would break her 'sit' instantly and either run away or in some way move around.

I went to the class disspirited and this increased when the first thing we did that afternoon was to show the class how our puppy was sitting. All the other puppies were getting 3 or 4 steps away, scout just ran away.

I spoke to the trainer and he said to try a few different things. I went away determined to get her to stay, even if only for a minute.

Then on Thursday i just asked her to stay and took a step back, no movement, another step, no movement, another step, no movement. I got about 10 steps away and went back to her. Astounded! But not convinced. i did it again. Another 10 steps. and again, and again, and again. This morning i tried again. She doesn't move an inch!

It is a dead set miracle, she has gone from not staying for even half a second to not moving an inch, waiting for her treat.

I didn't try anything new, she just decided to understand. I am seriously gobsmacked!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I didn't try anything new, she just decided to understand. I am seriously gobsmacked!!!
Now that is awesome see, sometimes it takes time and
then all of a sudden they get it............
What a great puppy congrats......................

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i always love those moments when the :idea: goes off in a doodle's head and they get it :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts