Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, this is sort of a training question...

I've gotten Coco to the point where she will heel, sit, down, shake hands, wait until i give her the go ahead in order to eat or drink, and we are working on counting to three, but for the stay command, I'm a little confused.

When I say "stay", I usually make her wait for 2-3 minutes before I give her a treat. However, she only stays if I am within eyesight. If I duck behind a wall or a door for more than a few seconds, she immediately comes over to investigate. Is this normal and natural behavior for a dog? And should I try to make her stay still even if I am not within her sight?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
you're doing great!! it takes time for you to be able to leave a room. Max still tests me on that one :wink:

i tried making the stay motion with my hand then put the treat on the floor and continue talking to someone in my house making Max just stay and wait. I do this when giving him his food, a sit, stay....when i use the word "OKAY" that means he is released from the stay.
i did make the STAY longer later on ...beginning was 1min, then 2, 3 up to 5minutes

but leaving a room takes a bit of time...OTHERS may have better advice and/or training than me.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My Coco will sit and stay....sometimes she will lay down when I say sit....
and she will stay until I release her....except if I leave the room. She still gets up to see where I have gone. I just take her back to the spot she was on and tell her to sit/stay again....this time I go just to the point where she is leaning to see me....then I release her. Next time I take one more step to be out of sight....sometimes she waits a little longer before coming to find me.....we are not there yet. Been working on it off and on for 7 months. HA! :shock:

8)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
One way my trainer taught is to use a 25 ft leash on the dog outside and start close and tell them to stay. Move back a little as you see they are doing good. The leash gives you control so if they bolt they can't go to far. Anytime they start to get up tell them No Stay and put them back in the same place they were. Gradually move back a little as they do good.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks, Sessa!!!

Very clear hints.....I wasn't returning to her and that sounds like a key step to begin doing this successfully. I was just releasing her to come to me....which unless she knows we are doing an exercise and treats are involved, she doesn't mind very well.....

One thing that I must have imprinted is to let me walk out the door or come in first. Now there are times Coco will come to the door to come inside and I'll open it widem, while all the cool air exchanges for hot...and just STAND THERE! She won't just come on in. If I try to get her collar to coax her in, she balks and takes off. Big game. Very annoying when you just need her to come in!
:?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts