Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son came from a friends house yesterday and the friends dad was helping bring in some stuff. Son came in and Digby saw the dad, the dog barked and my son was trying to get the door closed, I was trying to grab the dog. He got out and tried to bite the dad and he had a bag and blocked the dog with it. Then Diog ran down the steps and wouldn't stop barking and wouldn't let the dad down the steps. I grabbed him and scolded him (dog).

Now the dad is a cop and said this could be a good thing (protective and wouldn't let anyone in) or (he will bite someone) this isn't the first time Digby has done this.

He is very protective of anyone on our property that "Digby feels" shouldn't be there. He has met this man before many times. We have tried all sorts of training methods, had trainer out, he seems to be fine when not on our property but if you take him for a car ride and someone comes up to the car he will "attack"

He was a "rescue" in that we got him from some friends who were fostering for one of their friends who couldn't keep the doodle (small kids and two other dogs) now I am wondering if they got rid of him because he was too protective.

I am so sad, we :cry: have decided that we cannot keep a dog around who is too overprotective. We have someone who may be interested in him, but I am not sure what he will do - maybe the same thing with them.

What do I do - for the sake of the dog and to avoid a dangerous situation?

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I know this sounds silly but did the man have any type of hat on, I've noticed a lot of dogs don't like that for some reason.

Also he might do well in a one person home who wants a somewhat protective dog, but I do think Shannon's idea of special training is a good idea.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i would have digby evaluated first by a trainer who could help assess the situation at hand and give advice on ---if further training could eliminate this potential problem and what creates it.

Sometimes it works out and other times it doesn't....like you said you don't know digby's true previous background.

i fostered many dogs over 20years and must say one once could not be trained...all others though worked out fine but took a little work on everyone's part.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We found a new home for Digby. He has a pal (beagle) lots of cats, fenced in yard and has settled in well. There are no kids there and the people are familiar with Digby. He seems very happy and I know it is for the better for him.

Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Protective Dogs

Although Digby has a new home I'll offer this up. Our previous dog was a Chow mix...raised with just 2 of us...no kids, little social interaction with other humans. She was extremely aggressive of ANYONE except the 2 of us. I discovered that when guest where arriving I would walk Sassy into the street (off HER property) and introduce the guest and then we would walk together back to the house...worked like a charm. Sassy was the perfect dog...always remembered anyone she had been introduced too and they could come to the door...

Sassy lived to the ripe old age of 16

Jim, Honey & Chewy

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am curious about the dog - was he an australian doodle or one being bred from poodles and labs here in the States -= I hope I put that correctly - I was wondering if some of the Austrailian Labradoodles get "testy"? I have noticed other problems on other posts talking about a "testy doodle"

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure where he was bred. We got him at nine months and were his third home. He was a wonderful dog and very sweet. Not the sharpest one but just the same his sweetness made up for that.

He just got too overprotective of my son who is 10 and we were afraid that one day he would "snap" pardon the pun. I think it is great to get a rescue and I commend anyone that does that, but it is very hard and not knowing their backround and socialization can be trying. I wish they could talk and tell you what they went through.

He has a great home with one of my husband co-workers who has met Digby before and was always commenting on what a beautiful dog. Digby will have the life of Riley has his own couch too, and we can go visit anytime we want.

It is too quiet around the house and the cat is looking for his buddy. I cried for two hours yesterday and know it was the right thing to do.

Thanks again for all the support of this fourm! You are all the best! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts