Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I found this link here Thank you!!!! If I found this on the Net then please enjoy watching someone as silly as me doing a great job :!: I like her comment on Squirrels
:lol:
http://www.standardpoodlesusa.com/basic-obedience.html

:lol: I guess I'm wondering if F1's being 1/2 Golden take on that quiet peaceful personality in training :?: Abby being an F1B has Soooo much [email protected]#[email protected] Poodle :lol: I feel like I'm battling Starlings Blue Jays Lizards and bugs on every training 'Adventure' :D Not complaining just 'enjoying out loud' :roll: [/i] Here's THE PERFECT SIT
[/URL] :wink: [/img]

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ahhahahaaaaaaaaa i love it ...has so much @#[email protected]##@ poodle hhhahahaha

remember some golden retrievers as puppies are the same way as poodle puppies at times.

Peanut OMG was richocet rabbit and a lewis/clark expedition gal for 10mod old. The day she turned 11mos old she just calmed completely down with training easily and very focused. :shock: she has so much golden retriever personality though.

Beau has more of the poodle thinking and antics hahhahaa
but he's a calm personality but jumps 3 to 4ft over something with no warning and loves doing snowangels on the floor inside, outside and in class hahhahaa which tells me training will be REAL FUN hahhaaa

But last week he finally settled down again coming out of wild puppy stage . NOW during training he's calmer now and works harder focusing and trying new tasks/exercises.
last night i was shocked , i did a lie down/stay and left the room
he managed 2min before i released him :shock: and he loves getting praise as i am doing 50/50shot if he'll get a treat or not during training.
he also responds to most hand signals now sometimes without a word too. :shock:

others with f1b and f1 GD's (as well as labs and golden retrievers) that are in our class are going thru what you are MTD
seems in the 4th and 5th &6mo mo these puppies just want to be silly at times for a week or so, then one day wahlaaaaaaa they are focused and perform like a champ and want to learn even more :shock:

I feel like GD's can watch a blade of grass blow in the wind with deep curiousity for half the day or chase a butterfly with glee oblivious to everything else hahhahaha

all day long however i use feeding, playing, potty walks etc as a mini training and found 30min lie down/stays really help BIGTIME with training.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MaxandMe said:
ahhahahaaaaaaaaa i love it ...has so much @#[email protected]##@ poodle hhhahahaha

Just watching the video I finally had to acknowledge
she's 3/4 her father

remember some golden retrievers as puppies are the same way as poodle puppies at times.

I think they are very different

seems in the 4th and 5th &6mo mo these puppies just want to be silly at times for a week or so, then one day wahlaaaaaaa they are focused and perform like a champ and want to learn even more :shock:

I believe this to be true. Shows how smart puppies are. They can do in a week what a teenage human takes years to work out

all day long however i use feeding, playing, potty walks etc as a mini training and found 30min lie down/stays really help BIGTIME with training.
Me too! :D I have not worked hard on Stay preferring to use 'wait' first then switch on to sit-stay later. For some purposes like when she's holding something I'd rather she remain standing so 'wait' works for that. Also IMO Stay is too definitive for young puppies to be called play training. At 6 months I am starting Abby on the next phase which for us now is sit-stay adding distance. Heel on turns and sit when stopped. dr katz has taught her how to swipe with a paw.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Oh wow... now that's a different perspective than I have had. LOL
My poodles are SO mellow and willing... they focus on me and remain calm where my Labs are all wiggles and silliness and trying to play when I ask them to work. I truly thought poodles were just a much more mellow dog than Labs. Did I misunderstand you or are my poodles just unusual? :eek:

Snuggles (f1 doodle) is far more active and playful and impulsive than her poodle father so I blame it on her having taken more after her Lab mom.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MTD ...i too teach them the word WAIT
and also found from age 7mos onwards is when a extended and/or distance Stay sinks in. Once it does though i find training really takes off from there.

TINK there are some really mellow std poodles BUT as puppies most are more challenging to train due to their intelligence level and how they take in so much at once being stimulated by their environment/surrroundings

i have also watched older std poodles.......awesome dogs but they need diversified training as they can easily bored and then be a cute devil
kinda like our doodles at times? hahhaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My poodle boys were 4 and 6 months of age when I got them... and quite seriously neither is nearly as energetic or playful as even my 5 yr old Lab.

With mine, I use the word "stop" to make them stay in a stand. Tonight with all of them in, dh and I have been playing around with treats trying to see if we can get all 5 to sit or lay down at the same time on command. So far no luck... lol By far the most obedient is Moses, who will assume whatever position almost immediately. The others are more easily distracted by each other. We've spent a lot of time just sitting on the floor cuddling with them and have all enjoyed it.

It's funny how each has their own strengths and distinct personality. Snuggles has mellowed out so much since she's settled back in here. She's getting more exercise, has the others to play with, and I have come to enjoy her more than I did at first. I think she really needed to burn off more energy than she was able to with Shannon, and missed wresting and romping with dogs her own size. She's really given up a lot of her frantic silliness and roughness in the past week or 2. I've got her retrieving a ball like a pro and coming when called, sitting and laying down on command and 90% house broke in just the past couple of weeks.

I really think each learns in their own way though, much like we do... what works with one doesn't always work with another and the best training come with time, repetition, and observation. Once you see how an individual responds you know how to best teach them.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I remember the standard poodle "Fifi" who lived 1/2 a block from me growing up. She was exactly like the dog in that video. She loved to plow us kids over with love much to the chagrin of her human......but we kids LOVED IT!!! :lol:

Tink. did I miss something?? You have Snuggles back?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Yes Gene, I got her back when Shannon's Landlord decided she was too big and rowdy for the house. Poor girl was about to be evicted and I ended up taking Snuggles so she wouldn't lose her home but can still see the dog. She's been the most hyper pup of the litter, so I cringed when I got her back, but thank God she's settled down considerably. At my age I simply am not up to chasing after and struggling with large hyper animals... so had to work around it.

I plan to keep her long term and hope she tests out good to be bred later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started field work around 7-8 months, prior to that he was a goof ball, attention span very short....But once he figured his purpose, he is all ears, and loves to please....

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
PanamaCamel said:
I started field work around 7-8 months, prior to that he was a goof ball, attention span very short....But once he figured his purpose, he is all ears, and loves to please....
me too, i find the 7mo to 8mos age a great time to start doing more formal training

I am now doing whistle training inside my house
WOW do they catch on quickly......all 3 of them!!!
one toot ...they all come
and two toots afterwards means sit

i am not using any words yet and will introduce word
COME probably by this weekend.......right now all i want them to do
is hear a whistle and come on their own, yes they get an immediate treat

and hahhahaa they are like a chuckwagon commerical they way the all come running :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts