Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chouette sleeps on her bed next to mine, tethered with a leash. This morning I took her out first thing, carrying her down the steps as usual, and then left her downstairs with DH while I went up and made the bed and got dressed. I was in the bathroom perking along when all of a sudden I was joined by a triumphant-looking doodle. She had climbed the stairs all by herself! But will this hurt her? Not that it would be easy to stop her - you know the saying, "Show the cat the way to the dairy...."

She'll be four months old on the 10th.

Leslie

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi :)

As I understand it, it's ok for younger puppies to use the stairs as long as they aren't playing (running, jumping) on/off them. And the stair use should be somewhat limited. Dexter wouldn't go down stairs for awhile, but I think by 4 months he was using them (supervised).

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I think it's ok as long as they aren't playing on them. I would think it would be fine if it's how they will get to you. It's normal that they would like to try new things. Kind of like toddlers - the "I do it myself" attitude.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 10-month old, Kiley, still won't try the stairs going into the basement. I have not enticed her and she is very intimidated by them but very curious.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annabelle has done stairs since she was about 3-1/2 months old -until then we had to carry her, she couldnt reach stair to stair but once she coudl she used them on her own - way our house is designed only way outside is via stairs - once she was big enough she never had a problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts