Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We visited my mother at the weekend and she lives in a upper flat with steep stairs, Otto came down them OK then jumped the last 5 and landed with his paws bent, now he is limping there does not appear to be a break, but will be watching for the next day before taking him to the vet. He lets us move it about, I think it could be his shoulder, any thoughts on this

·
Registered
853 Posts
I would just watch him for a few days and if it gets worse or doesn't seem to be getting better, I would take him in to the vet. Doc has had times where he's limped but he gets over it pretty fast. Once my horse stepped on his foot and he was howling until the horse finally moved off it. I was so worried but there was no blood and he only limped for a short time.

P.S. I finally measured Doc and answered you on the other post. :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Angie, I would take him to the vet today.

Whenever people write in with this problem, I give the same advice...and 85% of the time there is a serious break or other problem...the reason I say to go to the vet right away is that dogs do not show pain or weakness unless it is extreme...so if your dog is limping it is not a small pain...

In the wild, dogs showing weakness will be killed...so they are hard-wired not to show if they hurt.

The fact that your pup is limping, to me, indicates enough reason for a vet visit. I'd rather that they say, "nothing wrong" than to wait when someting is serious.

I hope that I am wrong...and that Otto i sbetter soon.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jac, we took Otto today, the vet does not think it is serious, she gave otto an injection and tablets to take for ten days, if it does not do the trick then they will exray, BUT after the injection he appears to be a lot happier, but is still walking with his paw off the ground. The vet said it is his shoulder as he did not like her moving it around, and is most probly muscular.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, I am so happy that the vet had a look! Sounds like Otto will be sore for a while, but that it isn't too worrisome...thank goodness!
Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After one injection and one tablet, Otto is hyper and driving us mad, I cannot believe the quick recovery he is making, but I am so pleased.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had a nasty experience last night, could have been the tablet or injection, but bless him he tried to tell us but could not wait, a dirty crate and bedding first ever, but never mind it all washes, as long as Otto is feeling better i can put up with anything, and he has been playing ball today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts