Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in a 3rd floor apartment and have been able to train Fuji to come up and down the stairs pretty successfully although he's still learning. Our question is, though, we sometimes worry that it's bad for him, especially at such a young age. Maybe it's bad for his growing bones? Or maybe it can lead to hip problems later in life? Sometimes he wimpers and acts like he doesn't want to and other times he seems fine. We were told not to run with him yet when we go for runs so I feel like there must be a correlation. At some point he'll have to go up and down the stairs when he's bigger but what about now?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi...welcome to the forum!

I wish that I could tell you not to worry...but in my opinion, a lot of stairs can be harmful to your puppy's hips and elbows. Given your description, if Fuji was my puppy, I'd see a vet and ask about this behavior.

When I took my dogs in for their PennHip evaluation, I asked the vet what a person can do to make sure that their puppy doesn't get hip problems and he said:

Keep the growth slow, watch his diet so he doesn't over eat and grow too quickly.

No frisbee...jumping and landing on back legs is really bad for a dog.

Jogging only after 18 months of age.

Limit rough and tumble (where dogs slam into each other and roll around) play.

No stairs.

Here is a really good article about hips...I think that everyone should read it...I hope that this helps:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1916

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input, we're started taking him down the long flight of stairs or as many as he lets us. He is used to walking down on his own and gets antsy when we carry him now. He walks kind of funny so we are worried we may have done some damage already. We took him to the vet this past Saturday and he said oh its perfectly fine to let him go up and down 3 flights because he has so much energy. Yes it will tire him I guess but its not worth the cost of potential hip problems. Btw the article you linked talked about not feeding large breed pups too much, we give him 2 meals a day (approx a little more than a cup) and treats throughout the day for training purposes. That sound like too much/too little?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning...I think that you are feeding properly...are you using a "large breed" puppy food? If not, you might want to check that out because it is made to control the quick growth of large breed puppies...then I'd just follow the feeding schedule on the bag or what your vet has said to feed.

If you are concerned about Fuji's hips, you could ask for a consultation with a vet specializing in hips or joints...perhaps as a second opinion. If everything is clear, then you don't need to worry. (That is always a good thing! :) )

How old is Fuji? I had two dogs that grew to be almost 70 lbs and they both had growing pains. REally! Because they grow so quickly, it is painful for them...maybe that is what is happening to Fuji...still, I think I'd want an evaluation from a second vet...just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts