Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this topic before, but although a lot of people looked at it, no one answered. So, here I go again :D

Has anyone had their female spay by laser surgery? There is a vet in our area that offers it and it seems less intrusive and has a quicker recovery time.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I just met someone at the park tonight who is going to have her female
spayed this way..................I know of no one else who has done it so
i can let you know after she has hers done...............sounds good
but like I say I had not heard of this before tonight...........

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I look at this way, if a woman can get a laser tubal ligation
why not a dog?
suppposedly less invasive procedure, quicker healing and less pain

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have heard that it is better, and quicker to recover

I recommend waiting until closer to 6mths old to do it, they need all that stuff to mature properly, and less chance of bone cancer developing or incontinance issues when done later

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am planning to have Callie spayed in this way. Our vet recommends it, saying that the bleeding is less, the recovery time is less, and it is less painful.

We are waiting patiently for her to have her first heat before spaying her, hoping that her inverted vulva will resolve (the vet says that it may, and recommends the wait-and-see approach as best case scenario is it resolves, then we spay her, worst case is we suffer through a heat without any change in her vulva, then spay her anyway!). Nine months old and counting... should be any time now, right?

I would love to hear of anyone else's experience with the procedure!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yup should be anytime now, and that is the best to do for calli,
that heat may help,,however
i had a dog once that had that happen ,,it was not a pretty site, heat may actually make it look very much worse ,so dont freak out, and watch her carefully when she does come in heat ,not to alarm you ,, ask your vet about signs to be concerned about when she does come in heat,
even with the experience in life i have had it was a shock to me ,,ended up emergency spay in the middle of heat which is not the safest thing to do i might add

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Great info. Please let me know about the lady you met in the park and how her dog did after surgery!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
MaxandMe said:
I look at this way, if a woman can get a laser tubal ligation
why not a dog?
suppposedly less invasive procedure, quicker healing and less pain
My thoughts exactly!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a friend that is a vet and had to switch to doing laser surgery at her new practice. She says that she would never go back to doing surgery with scapels because the difference is amazing in terms of recovery time for the dogs. Of course her opinion is from a vet perspective not worrying about the cost difference.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Oliver was neutered using laser surgery. He healed very nicely. It was a fairly easy post operative recovery.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have two cats, one was spayed with laser and one was spayed the "ol' fashion" way.

The cat who was spayed by laser has almost no pooch on her belly, she healed quickly and you can't see her scar.

The other cat has a very visible loose skin (pooch) on her belly and the scar is still somewhat visible.

I would never do anything but laser surgery with my animals again, unless I didnt have an option.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Our vet charges $50 extra to use the laser. This seems to be uniform across her practice, regardless of the procedure. The laser option is indicated as $50 on the estimate for Callie's spay surgery, and when our cat had surgery on his tail 3 weeks ago, the vet used the laser and the charge was $50. In my opinion, it is money well spent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
laser surgery is great!! 2 of my dogs have had the laser sugery and they recovered very quickly, they didnt bleed as much and they didnt seem to be in too much pain and recovery was very quick. one of them had surgery for a huge almost 10 pound mass on the spleen and the other was for a few very large fatty lumps on the chest and armpit. both dogs 11 years old and very active. the one that had the spleen and mass removed even came home that same evening after the surgery. this seems to be the way to go for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts