Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm hoping you can give me a little advice. Maya is getting spayed this week and I'm looking at the estimate and wondering what "extras" we should get. Things such as laser surgery, blood work and pain medication are all add ons and I'm just wondering what is necessary and what is not. Also, is it necessary for me to be home with her the following day after she comes home? I have to work a 5 hour shift that day and am a little nervous about leaving her alone.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
neutering is a short procedure..but, the vet said i could come
and pick him up at the end of the day if i had to work..

i d get her whatever would make her more comfortable along with
what the vet. recommends..i did nt get the collor cuz i was worried he d end up knocking it off going thru the doggie door..instead i got some
R-7 Liquid Bandage ..it s nasty tasting and similar to the liquid bandage the vet. used..

we ended up paying for the anethesia for sure :lol: and blood work..along with a pain medication and anti-biotics..

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max we had the bloodwork done only cause he had had poor health prior to surgery...NO cone, no pain meds, he took it easy for 3 days and was fine

Peanut no bloodwork, no pain meds, no cone....she took it easy for 2 days
only tried 1st night to lick incision, i sat next to her whole night saying No and would just pet her....she was fine

both doodles came home same day......they did great, I was a basketcase hahaaaaaaaaaa

G

·
Maya got the bloodwork and pain meds. For me the bloodwork was not optional. My vet does it to make sure she could handle the procedure.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we belong to Banfield so Dexter's neuter was included in our package. They did bloodwork (and I think an ECG) pre-op and we got pain meds in case he needed them (he didn't).

We did stay home with both doodles for 3 days post surgery. Can you find out the difference in healing/recovery if they use a laser? I would be concerned she could find a way to lick her incision if she was alone the next day. When Dex had surgery (to remove the tennis ball) we had to leave him alone 5 days post op and we had to put a cone on him for 2 days. Talk with your vet to see what they recommend.

·
Registered
247 Posts
we had blood work + pain meds added on (not optional). didn't need to use the cone. i stayed home with her the night she came home and the following next day. i did buy the bitter yuck to put on her incision is she licked it but never needed to use it. by day 3 she was back to normal.

·
Registered
309 Posts
We have always gotten bloodwork done before every surgery any of our dogs have ever had. Laser is also a good thing, it cuts done on blood loss and recovery should be a bit easier on her. I highly reccomend both.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao goes in on May 14 and no blood work, no meds. I will be home with her to make sure she is ok, hopefully no cone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can reschedule for another day since I absolutely have to work the day after. I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. It's never really been about the cost... I just honestly didn't know what was necessary. I kind of felt like I was choosing a bunch of "a la carte" options! I didn't realize there was so much to consider. I am nervous for her but I'm sure everything will be just fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our vet has a 'puppy package' we signed up for, which included the spay procedure. Holly just got spayed Monday and you would never know it, she is as rambunctious as ever. She had the pre-op bloodwork (like others said, the vet said it was necessary and was part of our package deal), anesthesia (can't imagine doing major surgery WITHOUT anesthesia...!!), and pain meds. SHe didn't need a cone, only licked at her sutures once or twice (I just got her to stop and redirected her to a chew toy, or petted her). Laser wasn't an option...but it sounds cool!

Holly had to stay overnight at the vet's (which I didn't understand, since I don't think there's a tech or anyone who stays with the animals at night...?). Boy did I miss her that night... :( When I picked her up the next day, she was wild with joy and was jumping and wagging like mad. They do seem to recover pretty quickly!

·
Registered
560 Posts
We had the bloodwork done as our vet said it was a good baseline to have for future issues that come up. As for pain medication, are you talking about pain meds to bring home with you after the procedure? If so, it probably isn't necessary. My dog had his neuter done and was fine without additional meds for once we were home. The nurse said the medication they give him during the procedure lasts at least 12 hours so she thought he would be fine after that and he was. I would suspect that if he was uncomfortable you could always call them back for some pain meds. Or ask if you can give him an aspirin (I think that is the one that is safe for dogs).

We were told no off leash walks for 10 days. We lasted 5 days. I gave him the short 10 minute walks on leash everyday too (just to burn off some energy). I think all dogs are different. Some are uncomfortable and need more rest. Others, like mine, are bouncing off the walls the minute they get home.

In regards to leaving him at home the next day - maybe not a bad idea if you have a cone for him and/or he is kenneled. That might force him to get the rest he needs to recover.

Good luck with your pup's neutering. It's a bit scary to put your pup's life into someone else's hands for the day, but it goes quickly and usually without complications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts