Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello labradoodle experts!! Two questions....

Bailey is leashed often while in the house (during potty training). But, although he doesn't mind the leash, he often chews through them!! I'm on my third leash and not sure what to do. I also crate but love using the leash as an alternative when home. I've tried spraying the leash with lemon juice (loves it), bits of tabasco sauce (helps a bit but not great) and Nature's miracle Best Behavior training aid (a spray to stop unwanted chewing) which also doesn't work. I correct him if I'm right there but often miss the boat if he starts chewing quietly.

Any other ideas of what I could put on the leash that might deter him? My previous dog hated mustard but that seems a bit messy. I thought of a chain leash and may try it but have heard it's bad for their teeth if they do chew it.

Also, my 6 year old boy is very skittish around Bailey because of the puppy biting. Because he often gets skittish Bailey thinks it's playing and does it more. I've tried to 'teach' my son how to act around the dog but he just doesn't get it (my 4 year old is great). Brian Kilcommons says to use a mint mouth spray everytime he goes to mouth my son to deter him. Don't spray it on him but at the spot he mouths (eg. his ankles). Has anyone tried this?

By the way, I'm really not too frustrated with all this. Overall, Bailey is very smart has caught on to things easily. I'm very happy with him. These are just a couple of little things I need to sort out. Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I bought some bitter apple spray to use on the shed, Annabelle has chewed off 4 corners, as soon as I bought it, she stopped chewing on shed :roll: I'm sure she'll start again at some point so will keep it around

As far as mint mouthwash, if Bailey likes Lemon juice, good chance will like mint mouthwash LOL

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use something called "Stop Biting". I got it from the pet store. The only problem is that this only lasts a few hours at the most so have to keep sneaky spraying so Sam doesn't work out it's me doing it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have used Grannock's bitter apple (bought at PetSmart) and Hartz's Clean Earth Natural Chew Prevention Aid (bought at Walmart) to try to stop Nicky from chewing all sorts of things (mostly made of wood). Neither sprays worked. He chewed the items anyway!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bitter Apple also comes in a paste which works well when applied to furniture legs, leashes, etc. - it doesn't dissipate as fast as the spray. Bigsby can't stand the stuff but I've heard that some dogs practically lap it up. With our previous dog, all I had to do was get the Bitter Apple bottle out of the cabinet and show it to him and he would drop whatever he had in his mouth :)

One time I had someone tell me that Bitter Apple stopped their puppy from mouthing/nipping when sprayed one time, quickly, in the dog's mouth while saying "no." I wasn't too sure that this was a good idea - maybe spraying it on the body part (like the ankles) instead would work just as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts