Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was covered quite recently, but I didn't pay attention, because I wasn't seriously considering it. But I just went to the pet store today, and I wanted to pose this question to everyone.

I plan on crate-ing my puppy during the day, or at least crate-ing and x-pening it during the day if we're going to be gone for any period of time. But we plan on putting the puppy in either the spare bathroom or in the kitchen so that should any accidents happen, its on tile and not carpeting.

But, from what I've heard, puppy's really want to be in the same room as you at night, so my question is, what would people do in this case? I thought the soft crate in the bedroom at night, with some sort of locking device on the zipper so the puppy can't climb out, would be a decent way to keep it contained at night. I've only got a small apartment, and I'd rather not have two crates. But I'm also lazy in not wanting to carry the crate from one side of the house to the other.

So what do you guys think?

Kristen

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and one more question...

where do people buy their crates and stuff from. Petco had medium to large crates at about $100. I know I've seen some websites, but I forgot those too.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I just shop around local stores for the best bargain.
I personally HATE soft sided crates and would only invest in a wire or hard plastic type.
Soft sided get dusty, they collapse, they just never have done the trick for us....

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
A friend of mine just had a funny experience with a soft side. They are going camping and don't have room for Toby's(medium mix breed) "hut". They wanted to try out the soft side, so when she ran her kids to school, she put him in it to try it out. When they got home an hour later, the soft side was gone! He had moved it from the kitchen to the other side of the house like a hamster ball and was still going strong!! :lol:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Gene wrote
Thing is, he was inside of it with a kong toy....he LOVES his kong. I can just imagine Jonah in one!
Your kidding right Gene????
We all know that Jonah would not be in one cause
he would just chew through one!!!!
Bahahahhaahahahaaaa!!!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, I can only imagine. Sorry, I don't think I specified. I am planning on getting a wire crate for the kitchen/ bathroom, but keep the soft one for the bedroom, so that I don't have to keep carrying the metal one back and forth across the house. Or do you think I would still have the same issues at night with the puppy rolling? Should I just x-pen it at night?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Kristen:

I would either have a second wire crate in the bedroom
or the x-pen. I too just do not like the soft sided crates.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Ok,ok...I'll be the odd ball....Raleigh has a square soft sided 'crate' if you will...more like a tent with screen windows and a high roof....I didn't like the regular large crate we had for him because I felt he didn't have enough room to spread out....he's been in this 'tent' for two months now, and so far so good, he hasn't tried to break out, chew or scratch the thing! :shock: go figure...especially with his past history...hahahahhaa...oh yeah Gene....out of six chair covers, we're now down to 4 and counting...hahahahaha

P.S. ya know when I posted the picture of the blue area rug that Raleigh had 'nibbled' on??? And Jonah told him he was an amatuer??? Well tell Jonah that the rug...or whats left of it went out to the curb for trash pickup last Wednesday! hahahaha :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Kristen, what I've done with Chouette at night is to tether her to the leg of my bed with a leash so she can't go far enough to feel free to relieve herself; she has a large dog bed to lie on next to my bed, with a few toys. I've always done this with new puppies; that way they're not lonely, and I can tell if they're getting restless and may need to be taken outside for a middle-of-the-night potty break. This is just until they're fairly reliably housebroken, but our dogs have always slept in our bedroom on their own bed. Later we move the dog bed to the floor at the foot of our bed.

I'm not convinced Chouette couldn't get out of the plastic x-pen I just bought, if she were really determined. Probably the crate's safest if you're not going to be home with your pup. I use the x-pen as a playpen, just to plop her somewhere safe when I'm going to be around but need a break from watching her constantly.

Leslie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We bought a soft sided crate for travel, when I made the turns, it tipped over!! (Not just once either!)
Imagine the poor dog then! hahahaha

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Raleighsmom said:
P.S. ya know when I posted the picture of the blue area rug that Raleigh had 'nibbled' on??? And Jonah told him he was an amatuer??? Well tell Jonah that the rug...or whats left of it went out to the curb for trash pickup last Wednesday! hahahaha :shock: :shock: :shock:
I have a couple of old area rugs from the upstairs bedroom that I've been "testing" the kids with......for some reason, they seem to be getting smaller! Hmmmmmmm, think I'll wait to return my good on to the living room!!

Raleigh...knew you had it in you man....
Jonah
:wink:

·
Registered
273 Posts
As far as where to get your crates and x-pens from I found I could order them online and have them shipped for much less than I could buy them locally - same goes for most toys as well. After price comparisions I bought mine from dog.com but someone is selling them new on Ebay for really good prices. Other stores I ordered puppy from were petedge.com and carealot.

Heather

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Heather is right. We buy so much online now. We also found dog.com to be a good site. We buy our heartworm and flea/tick meds online too and save a ton of money vs buying from our vet!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome, thanks! I'll check those sites out.

Maybe I'll just keep it kenneled during the day. We're not planning on being gone for more than three hours at a time. So we'll only get one crate and keep it in our room. I don't want to run the risk of the soft crates. But I did see some at Petco that looked pretty sturdy, but I'm sure its probably deceiving.

Thanks for your advice!

Kristen

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
gene said:
Raleighsmom said:
I have a couple of old area rugs from the upstairs bedroom that I've been "testing" the kids with......for some reason, they seem to be getting smaller! Hmmmmmmm, think I'll wait to return my good on to the living room!!

Raleigh...knew you had it in you man....
Jonah
:wink:
OK...i think Peanut belongs to this rug chewing club...uh my one of my WOOL area rugs now has a 2nd area chewed down to cloth backing :roll:

and SOFT sided crates hahhaaaa who has the hamster dog? :wink: I could NOT imagine peanut or max in one of those!! though the thought of throwing in a kong in one and a doodle does sound like a inexpensive way of entertainment

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, Kristin, doggie daycare is an excellent idea! The dogs love it! And they get a lot of socialization and exercise...even training sometimes!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts