Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Last night was the 4th night Sofie has gotten sick in the past 5 days. She eats at 7am and 6 pm. She throws up at 4 or 5 in the morning. Even as a puppy she never through up. She is the same happy girl she always is otherwise and is hungry at mealtimes. I was going to wait it out but decided to get her to the vet day after tomorrow. Has this happened to others and do you think I'm over reacting. Should I wait it out a little more or consider this an emergency? Thanks for any input.
Mike

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
is she eating any plants outside? our dogs recently decided that a freshly frost killed vine is a delicacy. they never ate it before but do now and then throw up. We are removing them all. If you can't think of a reason like that I would probably at least give the vet a call. Usually if they are eating and drinking and have no fever they will tend to have a wait and see approach.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Mike, I would definately have her checked out by the vet. Do you notice any churning or grumbling noises in her stomach in the mornings? Our chocolate lab had a condition called bilitis (can't spell it). It is caused when the stomach is empty for too long and she would throw up bile in the morning. We solved it by giving her a bedtime snack. It is common in labs maybe in doodles too? :? Let us know what the vet says, hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Dogs can get sick like this for so many reasons, sometimes something as easy as allergic reaction to their food ingredients or very sensitive stomach...other times it can be due to blockages, eating bad things or worse.
I wouln't wait any longer...5 days is long enough to know that there is a problem. Your vet can help. You may just need to put your dog on a low residue diet, but you may also have a medical problem that needs attention.
I am sorry that I can't give you more info...but I am one of those pet owners who would rather pay my vet to say that I over-reacted than to take a chance on something being really wrong.
Good luck...please let us know what your vet says and how little (beautiful!) Sofie is doing...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wouldn't wait any longer as Jac says.

It's vital that anything is checked out, our Bella's long history began with vomiting, hopefully it's something simple and easily treated but the longer you wait the longer you'll worry anyway.

Let us know what they say as many members here will have had simular and can then help your further

good luck

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Mike, did you get Sofie to the vet today? Please let us know how she is doing. She is such a doll :) I hope all is well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Mike,

I just read this post today. Kenai has been sick since Thursday, after she was at Dog Den for day care that day. She's mostly got the runs, but has vomited a couple times too. We have a call in to the vet.

Has Sophie been over there lately? Maybe there is something going around.....come to think of it was she there on Thursday? They sent a note home with Kenai saying that she had lots of fun playing with "Sophie" that day.

I'll post again after we hear from our vet (my brother in law).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sloppy rice (rice made with extra water), cubed cheddar cheese, and scrambled eggs mixed together is the recipe to cure the doggy flu. Yogurt and whole wheat toast too. Kenai already seems to be feeling much better and we went the whole night without having to go outside.

I hope Sophie is feeling better, Mike.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi seems my max for 5 days vomited up bile every day in early to mid afternoon.... I called the vet. For right now max is on a boiled rice and ground beef ( or turkey) made with water when cooking. So far past 2 days no vomiting.
can dogs toot from yougurt? seems our max did from plain yogurt

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
also how is sophie feeling?

my max stills acts as his happy self which has me puzzled and checking in again with vet on tuesday

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone-
Sofie has been doing a little better. I took her to the vet today. I was going to take her last week Thursday but she seemed to be getting better. Well Sat. night she threw up again. They got her in right away this morning. My regular vet wasnt in but the vet that saw her said it could be a many different things since she shows no symptoms besides throwing up. Her fecal came back neg for worms but he didnt rule it out and shes still going on the dewormer for 3 days. Shes also going to eat 3 meals per day instead of her usual 2. He also tried to switch her to a different food (both of which they sell there, and both have ground corn as the first ingredient!) This site has taught me better than that!! :D I feed her chicken soup for dogs right now. It gets a good rating on the food test posted here and its worked great for me until this situation happened.
So that where we are right now. There are other things to try later if this doesnt do the trick. I feel so much better now that I took her in. I appreciate all the advice given from everyone. I will keep you posted!
oh and clippart_

·
Registered
853 Posts
I hope Sophie gets back to normal soon. Doc has been throwing up quite a bit the last few days, too. Everything else is normal and he has an appetite, too. I've got him on white rice, chicken and plain yogurt right now. He seems to get a sensitive stomach every now and then. If he doesn't get better soon, I'll have him checked for worms, too. Your post reminded me that Doc eats the horse poop sometimes and even though, I worm my horse every other month, I guess it's possible he could pick something up from that.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
kim you got me thinking...i was wondering if max ate some deer poop.

I sure hope ALL OUR DOODLES stop vomiting and have un-sensitive tummies soon.

I know this sounds crazy but I swear yougurt makes Max deliver SBDs while we are watching a movie.

·
Registered
59 Posts
MIke, Tucker is a year and went through a period of occasional vomiting, his was usually in the mornings and we could hear his stomach churning loudly. Vet never found anything and recomended Science diet. We knew better because of this forum. I asked about it here and Lisa gave me the same advice as you- bedtime snack. It worked! We also switched his food from Iams to NutroMax because of the dog food grading list I saw here. He has not been sick since :D Good luck, Donna

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
donna what kind of bedtime snack did you give?
Max was fine for almost a week and vomited again ...yes hear his stomach just like your dooodle

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes donna- my vet recommended science diet, and iams.. which they sell at the clinic. It bugs me that they recommend a food with alot of fillers because of their kickback.
Also Clippart if you see this. Sofie only goes to the dog den on wednesdays so that wasnt her that Kenai played with. It is my understanding there are 6 sophies there!! With as many dogs that go there on any given day I wouldnt be suprised if something is going around. Also we go to the dog park every day so things could be picked up there as well.
I did see Kenai there once and shes a beautibul little girl!

Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts