Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! My vet says I can't take out Boodles until 4 months, my trainer says Parvo is a thing of the past and I should start taking him out now (at 8 weeks) to Starbucks, car rides, and "safe" walks off grass. I don't know what to do - I want a well socialized dog, but I also don't want to put him in any danger. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My vet and breeder said the same thing, but my vet said it would be ok to walk Dakota around the neighborhood. He has met lots of people and loves them all to death! I was told to keep him out of places like PetsMart but I really wanted to get him in puppy training for socialization and just general discipline. I talked to the trainer at PetsMart and he assured me it was a safe environment--they sterilize it regularly and all puppies are required to have shot records. Dakota started puppy trainig at 15 weeks because we had him out of town with us for a couple of weeks, prior. The trainer did say to not let him walk through the store, but bring him to the training arena in a carrier or shopping cart. Dakota loves it! He loves all of the dogs and all of the owners and it seems to be turning out to be a great socialization experience for him!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Kristan and welcome :) Parvo is not a thing of the past and I can't believe your trainer would say such a thing, I think I would look for a different trainer. Please read:

http://www.misbhavendoodles.com/GraciePersonalPage.html

It is very important that you are careful of where you take your puppy until all shots are given. You can take precautions and still have a well socialized puppy.

Have fun but take care :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm so sorry about Gracie

That is a horrible story. In September of 2005 I lost my 8 year old bulldog and then in January 2006 I lost my 3.5 year old bulldog to lymphoma. You described it perfectly when you said your heart is ripped out, thrown on the ground, and stomped on. I want Boodles to be happy and calm, but I don't want to put his life in danger just so he's not shy. Frankly, I'm terrified of losing another dog.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Kristan, welcome and you are wise for asking questions beyond your breeder and trainer.

As Diane has said, PARVO IS ALIVE AND WELL! And I have an article that explains why it's worth waiting until your Boodles has had all of his shots and boosters: http://www.geocities.com/englishbulldogpup/parvo.html this link/article could scare the PetsMart right out of you! :wink: And in the whole scheme of things, is waiting on dogparks and training sessions for 4 more weeks really going to make a big difference in your baby's shyness? It's not worth risking his life!

Like someone else suggested, I wonder what's motivating that trainer to say such a thing; it really brings his/her whole character into question, since they aren't the one risking losing their beloved doodle. And if you wait are they going to refuse your business? I THINK NOT! :roll:

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's smart to be weary of parvo, but I think it depends on your local area and how prevalent parvo may be. We walked our doodle, Dave around the block in our neighborhood starting a very young age. We also had puppy playdates (within our own yard/home) with pups that were at the same stage of vaccinations. We made an effort and invited alot of our friends over to our house to meet him when he was young. He's such a well adjusted, friendly 9 month old doodle now, and I feel like it's because we did start socializing him at such a young age. We are so shocked to have met so many dogs whose owners say "I'm sorry, he doesn't do well with other dogs." It's such a shame because one of the coolest thing to see is your dog happily frolicking with other dogs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree about the trainer....

I agree about the trainer. I don't have a good feeling about him and didn't trust my instincts before I signed his "contract." He comes over tonight for our first session. If I still have no confidence in him after tonight, money or not, he's gone.

As for the socialization, I'm erring on the side of caution. No walks before shots. I took him for a car ride yesterday and I held him while I went into the drug store just to get him used to people, screaming kids, etc. and he was totally calm! I think we're going to take a little trip every day until he's too big to hold! :)

Thank you ALL for all your advice. You don't know what a relief it is to have help with him. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts