Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, how many time did your puppies do this? Sadie has done it twice. Today we caught her after one little turd came out. We had to literally drag her outside to finish. Should we have picked her up? We said "OUTSIDE" and she didn't budge. She was still in the squatting position so that's when we dragged her out.
At least it wasn't like the other night when we didn't know she did it until she RAN through it and tracked it all over the livingroom.
When will this end?? :?:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
How old is your dog? Are you crate training? Do you notice when the dog is sniffing around looking for a place to eliminate? Are you walking the pup 5-10 times a day? A lot of Housebreaking is about preventative measures...mtd

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dex only had a very few poop accidents as a puppy (unless he had a GI problem). We never caught him in the act, but I think you did the right thing. I would not yell, but say something negative "no, ah ah" if you catch her in the act and then take her outside to finish. If she finishes outside I would give her lots of praise (maybe a treat too).

Just keep taking her out at regular intervals while she's young (we were doing every 30 minutes especially around meal times). Lots of praise anytime she goes on command. You'll figure out her signals (Dex cries and Kirby barks or sits and stares at us when they need to go).

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She'll be three months tomorrow. We've only had her for eight days. She's totally crate trained but we let her run around the downstairs some. She did sniff for about two seconds...by the time I realized WHY she was sniffing, it was too late. She's FAST. I don't want her in the crate all the time and I realize it's up to us to keep a closer eye on her. Right now she's barricaded in the kitchen or in her crate most of the time.
I know this too shall pass. :roll:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
3 months is really young! we had accidents until 5 months (although after 4 months they became much much less). Just really keep an eye on her and try to keep her in the room you are in :) A warm soft rug may be more enticing to her than the cold grass :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You'll both learn. She's still adjusting to her new home and you're still learning her signs. Even at 8 months, our foster dog had a couple "accidents" the first week.

One thing I found with our dog is that he had to be housebroken for every room of the house. Every time we let him explore new territory, we went through it again. You'd think he'd associate but no.

Deb

·
Registered
183 Posts
You will have to make sure you get the smell out of the rug--Nature's Miracle works good--but this is also a good time to invest in a carpet cleaner. I think having one makes life with a puppy (and even adult dogs) much easier. You can just spot clean the spots that need it. Also, it helps to leave a poop in the outdoor spot you want your dog to use--this helps them to get the idea of where they are supposed to go. I know it can be frustrating and a lot of work to housebreak a dog--especially if you are in a cold region and need to run outside in your pjs because the pup was sniffing the rug. It is all worth it though--and within a few months you may be like a lot of others here--and looking for your second doodle!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
have you seen the picture of my doodles with the wooden folding chair on the stairs? hahahhaaa

it is cause BEAU who WAS fully housetrained for some reason would go potty outside and if he got upstairs would give a 2nd try at it and leave us a present. (just like max did last year) :roll:

BEAU from day 1 was great till just recently so with chair there...no accidents at all

also 3mos is really young, give your doodle some time. :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
When our Great Dane started relieving herself on occasion in the upstairs hall I went to my dog training library and learned that if an animal doesn't see a specific area of the house as "living quarters" it assumes it's okay to eliminate there. I started playing with her there and occasionally feeding her there and the behavior stopped. That was so much easier and less stressful than getting angry at the dog; once I learned what was operating there I could adjust it and fix it without any blame or hassles.

Dog psychology works!

But again, that was an adult dog. Puppies do have accidents and you just have to watch them like a hawk. That's why I ended up getting an x-pen, so I could feel free to take my eyes off my pup without having presents to clean up and without having to crate her, which she really didn't like. The x-pen is now down the basement but it was wonderful to have at the time.

Leslie

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sadie Fern...she is so young but sounds like she's doing great for her age! :wink: Give her time...she'll get it! Angel was 8 mos. old before we were accident free. I did the same as you...gated her in the kitchen and used her crate A LOT! Our kitchen is hardwood and if there was going to be an accident, it was easier to clean. On the up-side, poop is easier to clean than pee, right? Maybe that will make you feel better. That's what I kept telling myself when she pooped in the house! She now rings her potty bells to let us know that she needs to go out and we haven't had one accident in 3.5 months. It took her some time to get the hang of the bells but it's great b/c I can hear them anywhere in the house. Now if I could just get her to stop ringing them when she sees birds at the bird feeder! She just wants to go out to "visit" with them!

This was Angel at about 3 mos. (I think!)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Great time to catch a doodle is right in the act! I think picking her up & putting her outside right then was super!
Now my little Bogart went to his bed in my office to pooo :shock: I'll never figure that one out!! :roll:
I caught him in the act and GASPED......... :lol: he ran into the other room. I got him & took him out where he finished.. :wink:
So far, NO accidents in 10 days!! YAY!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Having had Sam for about 5 weeks, I totally agree that housetraining is about prevention. Fortunately, Sam has never done poops insides the house (yet!) :eek: . However, in the first weeks of puppy pre-school, he was the first to do a poop in the vet's waiting room (how embarrassing! :oops: ) Sometimes, there seems to be very little notice and then squat! :( In those "accident moments", it's totally my fault for not watching him closely enough. I find that the crate is very good especially when I have to go out soon. I'll put him in for a few minutes and like magic, he goes. I also find that Sam is getting pretty predictable with his poops.....first thing in the morning, in the middle of a meal, after a meal. What I'm also learning is that once he's pooped, it doesn't mean that he's done; there is potentially more to come. It sometimes takes Sam two or three times before he fully empties his bowels. Once, he has pottied (both poop and wee), I let him in the house as I know he's an empty doodle. From here, it's just watching for the sniffing as that means he has to wee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts