Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up Buddy this afternoon and drove him four hours to our home. He is just precious - beautiful - sweet. He's black with lots of chocolate tones. I was really worried because when you reach out to pet him he shrinks back and shakes. After about 20 min he was fine and would come up to me and let me pet him and look into his sweet eyes. He was fine on the way home and kept trying to get out of the back and up to me in the front. He's just a sweet baby. Anyway, the breeder told me he had never worn a collar or been on a leash. He carried him to my car. I asked if we should let him go potty before the trip and he said he didn't know what he would do if he put him down. I assumed he thought Buddy might be overwhelmed and run off. We got home with his $150 of new toys and gear and I put the collar on him and the leash and my husband picked him up and put him down. Well, Buddy wiggled once, twice and was out of the collar. He ran up the driveway and jumped around and then dashed off into the woods. We called and called and couldn't get him back. We had written him off for lost since he doesn't know the area or our home. About 15min later he emerged from the woods soaking wet - he obviously went swimming in the river. I called him and he came pretty close then dashed off into the woods again. I could practically hear the song "Born Free" playing in the trees! My husband and I have deduced that this poor guy was probably tethered his whole life with no socialization at all. We're so sad because we have such a fantastic home to offer him if he'll just come back. We are very, very rural and now we have "unleashed" an unneutered dog without the rabies vaccination into the wild. I'm just sick. He's such a wonderful guy and with lots of love and attention I just know he would be great and so happy. What do I do? I'm going to put the crate on the porch with a blanket inside. I think I'll put a bowl of food in there as well. We let Cody out to try and bring him back but nothing came of it. I'm so sad. I really believe the breeder is a good guy but how could a puppy be so isolated that he ends up like this. He shrank back with his tail between his legs shaking at the thought of being approached. I don't think he was physically abused - just ignored. Now I'm also worried about him getting sick or even aggressive/wild/dangerous and being in the woods near my children. Could I have just lost the animal that will attack my children one day? I'm just sick.

·
Registered
401 Posts
just keep looking in the woods, ride around the city, just keep calling his name. hopefully he will come back, poor little guy! I dont know if he will do to well out there...hopefully he will come back! oh i feel so bad.i dont think you have to worry about him attacking your children. Good luck finding him!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are there animal control people that could help get him back to you? Wow, what a sad situation! I agree that you should just keep on looking and maybe have food with you. Poor little fellow :cry:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sigh....

You know - I don't even think he knows his "name". We live in a really small town and there's no animal control. I'll just pray to St. Francis and keep looking for him. Poor little guy. I hope he comes home.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wish I could help you look...I feel so bad for the little guy. You should take a BOX of treats or put some treats in a box and shake them and see if he comes also try calling him saying "name" come get a treat. hope you find him!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Maybe put some sort of food that is really smelly outside... like I suppose canned dog food or liverwurst or something that he may be able to smell over a long distance. That may help get him back to your place. I really have no clue about what to tell you.... I am just thinking aloud here!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Angelajk,

I would also post something in your local paper about your missing sweetie. I would put up fliers with his picture around town. He may make his way out of the woods looking for food or warmth and someone may spot him. Keep looking and get the word out about him running away. The more eyes searching the better luck in finding him. I would also call your nearest neighbors and tell them to look and spread the word. Hopefully you'll get him home soon! We are praying for you.

Kim

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,

I'm going to notify all the animal shelters in the area today. I have put the word out on a fly fishing forum that all the local guides post on and local fishermen. If he ever comes home we're going to name him Rocket. I think he's long gone. I got up several times in the night to check the bed and food I left on the porch for him and he never showed up. Also, Cody was running around this morning like normal so his scent isn't around either. :cry: I'm going to give him a few days to come home and then I'm going to contact the breeder of Cody. I cannot do that again with an adopted dog. It's amazing how attached I got to him so quickly and now he's gone and I'll worry about him forever. I'm going to just get a puppy and deal with all the puppy issues I was hoping to avoid. My little heart is broken for Buddy.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So sorry to hear about Buddy's disappearance. Any word yet?

How old is this dog? If he is just a puppy, he must be very frightened. I think notifying everyone you can is the right approach. He may end up at one of your neighbour's homes looking for food. Or someone may even have him in their home, not knowing where he belongs. He may end up at one of the shelters, so if they all have your name and number, you will hear from them.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and best wishes for a happy reunion with Buddy.

·
Registered
972 Posts
So sorry to hear about Buddy. I would definitely put up flyers. Call all the animal shelters, the police department, and notify any and all neighbors. I am sure Buddy was just scared and ran. Check the lost and found on petfinder for your area, and be sure to get this info out to as many doodle boards as possible. I was just looking at an Arkansas shelter, and saw a terrier mix in there that I am sure is a labradoodle, but a female.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, no...Angela, I am so sorry. I am certain that you are heart-sick about it all.
The advice you have been given is very good...and I pray that he will find his way back to you ... if he does, try not to go towards him...sit down and speak softly to him, let him come to you. (That will be hard to do because you will want to run after him, especially if he bolts...but he is afraid and very uncertain.)
I know someone in a similar situation. A person who had a dog for a short time and the dog ran off into the woods. It was gone for a week, then one day they came upon the dog...it was huddled in a ball, hungry and frightened but very alive and very grateful to see them...and they are all together now and the dog is huge, loving and happy. So, don't give up hope.
You might want to contact the breeder and find out if the puppy has any favorite treats or toys...and you could try leaving a trail to your home. Granted, it could lead some undesireable animal to you...but maybe the puppy would find its way back. I'll be praying for you and Buddy/Rocket...please keep us posted.

For all of the new puppy owners...as a suggestion to prevent this type of thing...even if the pup is not used to collars and leashes...put one on him...and the best kind, although it seems mean, is one of the slip leashes, you know...the kind that tighten if they take off? Because I heard of a family who had their puppy run over by letting it out in a parking lot, using the regular collar and leash.
My dogs easily pull out of a collar...I've had that happen more than once...so, even though it seems mean, do use this type of leash on your puppy until you get a secure system at home.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Don't give up hope, Angela...he is probably hiding somewhere. He may try to come back again...I am just so sorry...but please don't give up on him.
Are you near enough to the breeder that Buddy might have tried to go back there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, maybe Buddy is lost in the wood confused where he is. I heard that if a dog hear a sound, for example, bells or whisper, he wouldn't feel so confused. And the dog would follow that sound. Don't give up, he will come soon. He's in our thought. Also bell thing or music, dogs and puppy likes that kind of sounds because it remind them of their mom's heartbeats. Pls let me know if there's anything I can do. You can post his pic on forum and maybe there'll be someone who has him. :-(
Maybe also you can have a lot of people and go into wood during daytime to find him. Try to bring music, bell or whisper sounds. That may do a sneaky trick.

angelakj said:
I picked up Buddy this afternoon and drove him four hours to our home. He is just precious - beautiful - sweet. He's black with lots of chocolate tones. I was really worried because when you reach out to pet him he shrinks back and shakes. After about 20 min he was fine and would come up to me and let me pet him and look into his sweet eyes. He was fine on the way home and kept trying to get out of the back and up to me in the front. He's just a sweet baby. Anyway, the breeder told me he had never worn a collar or been on a leash. He carried him to my car. I asked if we should let him go potty before the trip and he said he didn't know what he would do if he put him down. I assumed he thought Buddy might be overwhelmed and run off. We got home with his $150 of new toys and gear and I put the collar on him and the leash and my husband picked him up and put him down. Well, Buddy wiggled once, twice and was out of the collar. He ran up the driveway and jumped around and then dashed off into the woods. We called and called and couldn't get him back. We had written him off for lost since he doesn't know the area or our home. About 15min later he emerged from the woods soaking wet - he obviously went swimming in the river. I called him and he came pretty close then dashed off into the woods again. I could practically hear the song "Born Free" playing in the trees! My husband and I have deduced that this poor guy was probably tethered his whole life with no socialization at all. We're so sad because we have such a fantastic home to offer him if he'll just come back. We are very, very rural and now we have "unleashed" an unneutered dog without the rabies vaccination into the wild. I'm just sick. He's such a wonderful guy and with lots of love and attention I just know he would be great and so happy. What do I do? I'm going to put the crate on the porch with a blanket inside. I think I'll put a bowl of food in there as well. We let Cody out to try and bring him back but nothing came of it. I'm so sad. I really believe the breeder is a good guy but how could a puppy be so isolated that he ends up like this. He shrank back with his tail between his legs shaking at the thought of being approached. I don't think he was physically abused - just ignored. Now I'm also worried about him getting sick or even aggressive/wild/dangerous and being in the woods near my children. Could I have just lost the animal that will attack my children one day? I'm just sick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.