Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to teach Sandy to catch since I brought him home at 8 weeks... I'll try with a small handful of kibble and Molly will catch each and every one I throw in the air. Sandy at best will allow them to bounce off his muzzle and hit the floor... at worst (and this is the more likely scenario) they get caught in his wild curly hair on top of his head.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
:) Dexter used to catch when he was younger, but he literally will not try to catch things any longer. He will fetch and retrieve, but when I throw now, he just watches.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fred has trouble catching when the hair around his eyes gets too long--trimming his face makes a big difference.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Chloe catches about half of the time but the other half it is full effort on her part! I am going to get her a frisbee as I think she would love trying to catch it :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Charlie can't catch either, and he just turned one. He tries, but either misses completely, or the ball will bonk him right on the nose or face. He'll fetch and retrieve forever, but stinks at catching.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota had trouble at first until he beame more coordinated. NOw he rarely misses! Our biggest concern is he has no fear. He will contort himself into a pretzel, if need be, to catch any ball of frisbee thrown loosly in his direction. :shock: We have started being careful about "how" we thro just for his own safety!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sandy doesn't even try - he literally lets it bounce off his head before going after it! Sandy is 9 months and Molly (who catches perfectly) is 7 months

·
Registered
462 Posts
Stirker, whose going on about 8 or 9, can't catch either. We throw pieces of cheese at him, and they hit him in the face. He usually doesn't catch the frisbee unless it was a really good toss.

So, I'm not sure why some dogs can catch, and other's can't. I don't think Napa will be a catcher. He's definitely a retriever. When we throw the ball for him, his body gets bone straight, he crouches, tail's out strait, and as soon as he sees where it has gone, he bolts to it. And that's his natural reaction!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Sandy doesn't even try - he literally lets it bounce off his head before going after it! Sandy is 9 months and Molly (who catches perfectly) is 7 months
Just goes to show that the girls rule, while boys drool!!!!! :wink: Bwahahahahaha.....

Actually, Raleigh doesn't do to bad....when he was little (5-9 mos) he didn't do so well at catching, but now is becoming a pro!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I just started getting Marley to catch in recent weeks. He tries hard, aka pretzel twist, but I am not 100% sure that he understands the concept quite yet. When I hold the ball up prior to throwing it he takes that as an invitation to get closer to take it away and it makes it very difficult to toss a catchable ball. I will have to read from one of our books to get the proper training technique. At 6 1/2 mos. I am not too concerned. He will get it down eventually.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rowen is the worst catcher ever, although he's been getting better!
He usually let's it hit him on the head first, then he'll look around and grab it..recently he may have caught, um, 2 things? bahahaha

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I started practicing with Tanner at lunch today. So far, he can catch the ball from about 2 feet away...guess I will just keep backing up and hope he will continue to catch. :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
That's how we started with Dex, and man that dog impresses me nowadays.

He caught one sideways the other day. IOW, the ball wasn't coming straight at him, it was coming perpendicular-ly (?) to him, and he caught it as one might catch a bullet in flight with one's teeth. I just let out a low whistle.

·
Registered
248 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
We call Uma "Plaxico" on Sundays. She's gifted
haha...I wish Plaxico would be a little more gifted catching the ball...I have him on my fantasy team and he's been killing me!!!
Ha! I hear you. After this season's start, who would ever think the Giants would be 7-3?! I'll post a picture of Uma in her jersey later. It's ADORABLE!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
KGarro said:
Ha! I hear you. After this season's start, who would ever think the Giants would be 7-3?!
Don't I know it. I was dyin'.......

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Great advice, Sessa! I'm going to save your post for when Tyke is a little older. Richt now, she has just mastered the idea behind "fetch." She used to run to the ball, pick it up and stop. When I'd tell her "good girl" and call her back to me, she would drop the ball, and come running without it! In just the last few days she has come to realize that the only way to get me to throw again is to bring her toy back to me. She is starting to do that pretty regularly now. I'd love for her to learn to catch a Frisbee someday.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts