Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I need some help here. I'm down to two puppies and I keep going back and forth on which one to chose.

Puppy #1 - male, black with white patch on his chest, American 3rd Generation. Miniature labradoodle, wavy fleece coat. Born July 29th, is crate trained and working on potty training, lives in Texas. Breeder is really good at proper feeding and handling. She is a recommended breeder by ALCA and Goldendoodles.com. Size will be around 27 lbs.

Puppy #2 - female, completely black, F1, will have a slight fleece coat. Born September 11th, lives in Kansas. This is the same breeder I got my other Labradoodle from. She may be slightly bigger at 32 lbs.

We haven't had a male dog for 30 years. The breeder will neuter him and that really shouldn't be a problem. Jorja, my doodle, has a hair coat and I actually really like it. Not sure if I will like the full on wavy fleece coat or not that the male will have. Is it hard to maintain? I think the main thing that is keeping me from getting the male is that there is more poodle in him. Is there a lot of differences in the personalities of F1 and the more poodle dogs? Each puppy has very sweet and lovable parents.
I love everything else about the situation from puppy #1 though. He's getting a lot of interaction from the home situation that the little girl probably isn't getting due to the puppy being in their house with the kids, etc..

Since we already have two females dogs in the house and both are so attached to me would it be better to get a male that may bond more with my husband or doesn't it matter?

I feel I need to give my answer to both of these breeders really soon. My husband just says that it's up to me. A lot of help he is. :( I don't know if any of you will be able to help but maybe just typing this all out will help me with my answer.

Thanks,
Marty

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
In your heart of hearts, if I were to ask you,
"Marty without thinking about it choose 1 or 2,
what puppy jumps out first?????????????????
Then you can analyze why.............
Big help I know but worth a shot......................

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Some others may help more with coat decisions. I love Dakota's F1 hair coat but I have admired some of the wavy coats too. I personally would not want a curly coat, but that's just me. Both poodles and labs have great, different, but nonetheless great personalities. That could also be somewhat individual with each dog. In every litter you probably have alphas, clowns, mellows, etc. I would rely on the breeders to clue you in on the personalities of the two. As to the male attaching to your husband more; I don't think that's a factor. I've always had male dogs and they have all been closer to me. Dakota favors me but he has been the most neutral of all of our dogs. And it's not a male/female thing that make the dogs closer to me. I am the one that feeds, plays with, walks, and trains our dogs. That, to me, is more the reason. I say talk to the breeders about personality and then follow your gut. Whichever way you go, I'm sure you'll be happy!!! :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
that is a hard choice, they both sound adorable.

I have had male dogs and females, last 4 being female, so for me I'd most likely go with another female, personally I dont think i'd go with and F1 due to more chance of shedding and vacuming being hard for me

you have pictures? do either of the pictures draw you to them more?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've talked to both breeders via the phone and through email. Of course, the personality is showing a lot more on the little boy because he's almost 3 months and he just sounds wonderful. My heart is drawn to the little boy more so but again I keep coming back to the coat.

Here are pictures:

Little girl at one month (taken October 12th)

Little boy taken very young:

Same little boy taken last week:

The pictures of the boy aren't the best but I do love his white patch on his chest.

Thank you ALL so much for your feedback. It really does mean a lot to me! :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Marty, I can't help either, they are both adorable! I love the little boy's white patch and white toes. Toby has the hair coat he is so sweet and more laid back than Lani. He is the first male dog I've (we've) ever had, I was reluctant to get a male when we got Lani but when the doodle bug bit the second time the breeder had only males. He is a wonderful dog. Lani had the wool coat, hers is not silky it is more cottony. It has not been too hard to deal with. She doesn't mind being brushed, she has had some matting in the usual places, behind ears, under collar etc.

I love both looks. Can't wait to see what you decide. Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Based on pictures the awwwwww factor made me go for the boy - based on what you said you were looking for in the coat, I'd probably go for the girl.

But I just LOVE the boy. Don't be afraid of the coat - Sandy has a wool/cotton coat and I'm not the best about remembering to brush him - he gets a good brushing once a week or so and he is fine. And he LOVES to be brushed. He'll just plop down and let me go at it!

No help, am I?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
They are both very cute. As far as female vs male, I think once they are neutered, if done when they are young, they are the same. I can't imagine a sweeter natured dog than Tanner. he too is very laid back.

The females that I have had, had an attitude but he is just one big love sponge.

With regard to coat, how much time do you have to spend on brushing and grooming? While I love that Tanner does not shed, he does require some maintenance. For a second, I would go with a hair coat...shed or not.

Black with white chest and toes..very cute :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi Marty,

I am in the same situation trying to pick from a chocolate Aussie, a black F1 labradoodle, and a cream F1B labradoodle. It is so difficult isn't it???

My husband and I have written down the pros and cons of each of our choices. That has been extremely helpful and gave me a good idea of what I want in a pup. I am just waiting for a few more answers from the breeder to make my choice. I must say that I was looking for a female also, but out of the three now two are boys!

I must say though, I am very drawn to the little black boy in your pictures. Love the coat and the white markings, and his beautiful eyes. Just a little more character to this one. But I would hate to not choose the little girl as she is so sweet too. Big choice you have to make - Good Luck!!

lily

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I think I'd have to go with the white chest & toes. He's just too cute for words.
I've had both male & female dogs and I can tell you it seems to me that the males will bond better with women and the females will bond better with men, but it doesn't always work like that.

Good luck deciding. It's a tough one!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Marty, from an ex-breeders view, I would choose the male, hands down :) If temperaments of these two puppies are both wonderful (and I'm sure they are), the fleece coat would win out with me. Nothing beats a wonderful, fluffy fleece coat. Another thing I would look at is the health testing of the two breeders, who does the most testing?

I prefer a neutered male over a female but that is everyone's personal preference, I really don't think there is much difference between the two sexes if they are spay/neutered at an early age (before 6 mos).

Good luck and let us know your final decision :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow!...hard choice for sure...they are both just darling!

I have a male Labradoodle and a female Shih-poo. My female is almost 4 and has always had an attitude...but that is one of the things I love about her. She is small and just runs the whole house.
Bailey is almost 7 months and is just oozes LOVE! Now, I have no idea if that is because he is a boy, or just because!!! He is an F1 with a fleecy wool coat that doesn't shed which is exactly what I wanted.

I am sure regardless of which puppy you choose, you & your family will have many years of joy!!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I know that it is very hard to choose, both are adorable!
I would look first to the temperament, assuming both are great, then look at the actual scores of tested parents. How good are they? If one has better hip scores, for instance, that would help me choose.
Coat quality is hard to predict at this early age. I am not certain you are looking at a fleece coat with the boy...it may well be, however fleece is not that common with an F1 and although the first picture definately looked fleece, the second picture reminded me of some of my F1Bs that get a definate "Disney" look...and often their coats become coarse and slightly shedding.
At this age, you could tell a bit about shedding...you pull gently at the coat in several places and hold your fingers to the light...any hair? If so, you will have shedding...if not, there is still a possibility, but bad shedding begins early on. (By 7 weeks I know if I have a heavy shedder.)
All puppies feel soft and fleecy...so I would take a good look at the breeder...how experienced? How is the warranty? The contract? The customer references? Does the breeder have similar puppies, from the same parents, that you could check on to see what they are like now?
Either way, you win, they are beautiful pups!
The gender issue is probably not a biggie. Most dogs accept puppies of any gender. I have heard that mixing genders is a good plan, but for us it has not been any problem at all.
There is a very good chance that the F3 will have a good coat, looks curly, so it may be a bit wiry...again, any past litters to compare with?
I say, look to your breeder...not the "memberships"...FYI, I am not big on memberships...someone declined a puppy from me because I have not sent ALAA proof of my testing...but I HAVE the testing, I just dont' feel it is important to earn the "silver or gold paw award" ... so... let that just be a very small part of the decision.
Do they show YOU the testing results? Are they good? Do you know the pedigree? Will they let you talk to their vet?
Many other ways of determining a good breeder than looking for memberships. IMHO

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Good choice Diane !

I did that with my last lab babies - went looking and were only 2 left , could not leave one behind so both came home with me :lol:

I'm getting soo anxious wanting another furbaby

1 - 20 of 30 Posts