Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry:
I went marching into our local feed store with my handy list printed off this forum rating the dog foods. They didn't have many listed with good scores. They did have the Diamond brand that scored well. I opted for the Pro Plan Large breed because the Turkey Barley Pro Plan got a 103A+ I think. So I thought Pro Plan Large Breed would be good too - chicken, barley, etc. WRONG I just got home and scored this stuff and it fails!! It's a 57! This food wasn't cheap and now I feel like a dope. Maybe I'll just feed it to the barn cats and start over. Poor Cody!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a question

Has anyone scored the Eukanubas? Also - any info on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover dog food?

·
Registered
20 Posts
What a bummer....

A while ago, I saw someone post this dog food site: http://www.dogfoodproject.com. It has a lot of really good info and a product list with many many dog foods on it, listing their ingredients and protein info, etc.
I've found the links for the two foods you mentioned under that list:
http://forums.dogfoodproject.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=608&an=0&page=6#Post608
and
http://forums.dogfoodproject.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=11240&an=0&page=4#Post11240

hope this helps!

Bianca

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Check out this thread it has the dog food rating info and at the end has some pre rated foods. Check the link for the rating scale. Good Luck.

Here are some foods that have already been scored.
Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F

Canidae / Score 112 A+

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+

Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+

Foundations / Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 D

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D

Innova Dog / Score 114 A+

Innova Evo / Score 114 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F

ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+

Purina Benful / Score 17 F

Purina Dog / Score 62 F

Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F

Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A
_

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2606

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Would like to make a suggestion

We feed Nutro foods here
Currently i feed Natural choice chicken meal rice and oatmeal it has No corn in it which is what i wanted i havent graded it but nutro normally grades high
another good food is dick van pattens dog foods
hope this helps
Iams and science diet grades very low,,do you have the how to grade your dog food sheet with the dog foods that is already graded? if not i can post it let me know

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'm with Nancy

Max was on Innova (highly rated) and tooted sbd's day and night.
With switching to NUTRO chicken/rice , well for the past 3 days or so he isnt' tooting and no sensitive tummy either. he goes regularly and seems to love Nutro so much he picks it out leaving the Innova in the bowl.

also Nancy...oneof the mom/pop pet store owners sells more of the NUTRO and till yesterday I didnt realize how many different types of NUTRO dog treats there were! :shock:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Digby gets Nutro for sensitive stomach, it is the chicken w/oatmeal. He loves it. Tried the other expensive stuff from the vet and this seems to work as well. He also gets the treats for sensitive stomach.

He has a very "delicate" system we found out when we got him. He was nine months (2 now) can w/ a big bag of Science Diet for large breed. Had a very soft stool and the "squirts" sorry to be graphic :shock: might want to try that.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hello...I've never posted on this forum before, but have been reading for the past few months :) I have a 4 month old doodle named Dexter. Can anyone tell me if Iams smart puppy for large breeds is an ok food? My vet said it's good, however it seems like the other Iams varieties have scored poorly.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Thanks Nancy...maybe this will be his last bag of Iams. We have about half the bag left and maybe we can start mixing in something better.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thats a plan

I would go ahead and get the new bag of food you choose,then start mixing, more of what you are feeding now then gradually increase the new food,,over a week or more,,go ahead start now that way you have a half bag and wont do it too fast
no worries it will be fine :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The chicken rice oatmeal Nutro (also called sensitive stomach though I feed it to all my dogs) comes in puppy now.
(I have used it for the last year)

I have just learned that it is not in all areas and some merchants don't
know about it yet, but I absolutely love it for my pups and the puppy parent feedback has been excellent also!

They come in MINT green bags fyi (I look for color it saves a lot of reading!)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
movistar said:
The chicken rice oatmeal Nutro (also called sensitive stomach though I feed it to all my dogs) comes in puppy now.
(I have used it for the last year)

Max has only been on the same Nutro food 4days now and he loves it, doesn't overeat, and wow NO SBD's :D ...my fabreez bottle is beginning to get lonely. :wink:

And if it weren't for this forum and all you great people I would be at a loss for sensitive tummied doodle. thanks everyone!!!

PETCO carries NUTRO green bags and so do many mom/pop pet stores. REMEMBER MOST stores will refund your money in full if your dogs dont' like or can't digest the food. I didn't return Innova as I need to mix it with Nutro for a week or so.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
there is also a frequent buyer card (not valid at petco or petsmart though)
buy 10 bags get one free (they give you a free of the smallest you ever bought on the card so watch out and dont buy a cat food bag on the card!)

I have also negotiated price down on a 10 bag purchase, but you guys probably arent there yet LOL

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chicken soup for the spoiled rotten doodle!

I went back and got the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover food. It is great! Lots of good ingredients. Chicken, duck, salmon, turkey, fruit, veggies, flax, etc. The things we do for our doodles especially considering I had two cookies for lunch! :p

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
thanks movistar....didn't realize that :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
no problem, you can sign up at the nutro website and they will mail it to ya if your local store doesnt already have some in a file!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts