Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Bella came in 2 days ago with a big 2 inch glob of pine sap stuck to her fur near her ribs. I cut it out with scissors and hoped it would not be too noticeable. Today I noticed what looks like a scab on the area. I really do not think I cut her with the scissors (although I guess it is possible?) She did not flinch or even move when I cut the patch out. Could the sap have caused this type of reaction on her skin? Some sap was still on her because I did not want to cut too close and hurt her. I washed the area, but it is extremely difficult to remove it all. Should I go to the vet or just use neosporin and watch it?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andrea. I read that butter or any type of cooking oil works to remove sap, so last night I rubbed olive oil on the spot. There was still some very concentrated sap in the area on her skin. The olive oil really helped get more off her. I think it was a reaction to the sap. There is still a half inch of fur left there, so I don't see how I could have cut her with the scissors. I did not think you would be able to see where I cut out the spot, but it is kind of noticeable :oops:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Maybe the object that got sap on her poked her skin. It doesn't sound like anything serious to me. I agree with evervescent's treatment. If it isn't healing or gets worse in 24 hrs, then I'd call the vet.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sounds like you have been given some great advice. I agree with the idea that, unless it appears inflamed or unusual, I'd treat the area and keep a close eye on it. If no improvement in a day or so, go to the vet.

You might also want to take her temp. If it is elevated, there may be more going on and a vet appointment would be in order.

It appears that she may have been running and brushed against a tree, scraping her skin and getting sap on the area too.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LINDA definitely watch the area and take her temp too...if it gets worse or doesn't get better call the vet

NOW FOR pinesap...being in landscaping business 20yrs now and also teaching pruining hahhaha i've had my fair share of Pine Sap in my hair which used to be really long

RUBBING ALCOHOL WORKS...BUT don't use if area is infected or skin broken

Peanut butter oils can also help break it down...it also works on gum in the hair.
( i used this on all 3 kids and myself)

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! The scab is looking better. The olive oil definitely helped remove the remainder of the sap. I think the 'getting poked with the branch that had the sap on it' theory could be the culprit. Now if I could just get her practically bald patch to grow back faster. I NEVER thought it would even be noticeable with all her fur. :oops: I'll have to get a picture. Thanks all!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Linda I am sooooooo happy to hear olive oil did the trick and Bella is going to be fine :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts