Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UGH! My microwave (1 year old GE) caught fire last night! The smoke was unbelievable and my house still smells. Luckily I was right there (letting Bella out the back door and my 6y/o says, "Ummm, Mom look at that...Cool!" :lol: I turned it off and the smoke subsided and I guess the fire went out. I thought the rice I was cooking was the cause, but the rice was fine and tasted great. I think it was in the electrical part behind the microwave. I'm cleaning to try and get the smell away, anyone have any hints? The cabinet above the microwave smells bad and I tossed everything that was in it. It's a built in microwave, so until I can get it removed, I think the smell will hang around.
Checking for a possible recall on the internet, I found LOTS of posts about problems with GE microwaves. Don't think I will be replacing with a GE. No recall for MY model, but there was a prior year model recalled for fire hazard :shock:
Fire scares me, it is so quick and sneaky.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,918 Posts
UGH! My microwave (1 year old GE) caught fire last night! The smoke was unbelievable and my house still smells. Luckily I was right there (letting Bella out the back door and my 6y/o says, "Ummm, Mom look at that...Cool!" I turned it off and the smoke subsided and I guess the fire went out. I thought the rice I was cooking was the cause, but the rice was fine and tasted great. I think it was in the electrical part behind the microwave. I'm cleaning to try and get the smell away, anyone have any hints? The cabinet above the microwave smells bad and I tossed everything that was in it. It's a built in microwave, so until I can get it removed, I think the smell will hang around.
Checking for a possible recall on the internet, I found LOTS of posts about problems with GE microwaves. Don't think I will be replacing with a GE. No recall for MY model, but there was a prior year model recalled for fire hazard
Fire scares me, it is so quick and sneaky.
ooooh scary! we just replaced our over the range microwave a few months ago w/a GE model. I will have to look at the recall info...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,506 Posts
Wow good thing you were by it when it happened!
In 1991 we lost our home and everything in it to a fire. Thank God no one was home when it happened, so we were all fine, but all we ended up with were the things we were wearing at the time. It was not something I'd wish on ANYONE. Very frustrating and hard to have to start over again like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,203 Posts
Linda...i left DAVE a message as he did firefighting for 10yrs and his brother now 19yrs i am sure they'll have some remedy

i'll post once i hear back from either one :wink:

glad you're all okay
adn TINK that had to be sooooooo hard and heartbreaking to lose everything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Glad you're all OK. It could have been such a disaster. Occasionally, I leave the louse with the dishwasher or the clothes dryer running. I need to stop that immediately!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Hi Lori-

I happen to manage a company that specializes in fire/water damage restoration. I would say in your case, if the fire left no black soot on surfaces it should be pretty easy to correct. The biggest issue, which is the odor, can be corrected through cleaning of soft goods such as carpets, upholstery, draperies and the like. If the odor is strong I would either recommend buying or perhaps renting an ozone generator to use for a week. It is a natural way of deodorizing without spraying alot of perfumes that mask odors temporarily. Ozone generators should be used with caution so do your homework on what size would be best for your square footage. pm me if I can help you with anything or answer questions for you! Good luck!!
www.jenesco.com
www.alpineairproducts.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
One more thing- If you have a dusty house, its good to do a thorough cleaning of affected areas. Smoke odor molecules collect to dust as it would fabrics! Also a thorough cleaning of cabinets. Sometimes the bottom of the upper cabinets have no sealer, and the odor sucks right in to that! If the job seems too big you can always get your insurance involved.. depending on your deductable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
LOL Gene,

House, I meant house, not louse.

(One of the reasons I like Firefox is that it has a spell check feature.) Spell check is grate but I here it doesn't no when won is using the wrong word.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,836 Posts
Linda said:
UGH!
Checking for a possible recall on the internet, I found LOTS of posts about problems with GE microwaves. Don't think I will be replacing with a GE. No recall for MY model, but there was a prior year model recalled for fire hazard :shock:
Fire scares me, it is so quick and sneaky.
PS I would notify GE of the problem - might help to get that one on the recall list !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
Oh scary....that stuff scares me. SO glad you're all OK, and that it was confined....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,411 Posts
Glad all is well ... and the rice turned out tasty!

Very scary though ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,192 Posts
oh WOW!! Glad you're all safe!
Kids are priceless! Out of the mouths of babes.....they make anything take on a different view and try to see the beauty. Not much beaurty in this....but glad he tried!
I definitely woulc call GE..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
your six year old doen't sound like shes(or he) phased by much :lol:
when i was six i put toast in the microwave for 10 minutes, then when it started smoking ran upstairs to my mum(who was in the bath) shouting FIRE! afterwards the toast was definately not tasty-black and stuck to the (melted)plate :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,203 Posts
sorry DAVE doesn't know how to get rid of the smell
he ONLY KNOWS how to put the fires OUT

i do know if you can put amonia in a bowl HIGH UP
it does eat odors not sure if this will help or not this time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,836 Posts
*Casey* said:
your six year old doen't sound like shes(or he) phased by much :lol:
when i was six i put toast in the microwave for 10 minutes, then when it started smoking ran upstairs to my mum(who was in the bath) shouting FIRE! afterwards the toast was definately not tasty-black and stuck to the (melted)plate :lol:
OMG your poor mum !

When I was six there were NO micowaves :shock:
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top