Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just wondering if I could get some input on a topic currently being discussed in our happy household. When we made our long road trip last week, in a weak moment we let Marley sleep in bed with us on the two nights we stayed at a hotel. The first night he stayed with us he hopped off after about 5 minutes and went to his crate. The second time, he opted to sleep with us. Upon returning home the discussion went to "maybe he should sleep with us all the time." So we tried it to see what he would do. He loved it and slept there all night. My wife would love to have him there each night. I too would not mind it but I wonder if it is the right thing to do. He stays at the foot of the bed. Definitely prefers it there as opposed to up "top" with us. Which is fine.

Is there any rule here? Is there a general consensus good or bad in the discussion of dogs having a spot on the bed? Or as the saying goes "Let sleeping dogs lie" on the floor or crate or where ever? It might mean a upgrade to a king size bed in the near future, but that has always been something we have longed to do. Where do your dogs sleep at night? As always thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
One of my absolute rules when we got Ebbe was that she WOULD NOT be sleeping with us! And at 10 mos. it is the ONLY rule to which we still adher. :roll:

We were told, early in her training, letting her sleep with us would jeopardize the Alpha/Beta status we were trying to establish. That we would be giving her control of all aspects in our lives, including sleep.

I was against it simply because I am having "power surges" (aka hot flashes) day and night and the idea of a 68 lb. furry dog next to me while sleeping is unthinkable! Marc's lucky he's still there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway ... it's to the point now that she really doesn't want to ... she goes into the crate at bedtime but we leave the door unlocked and by morning she is snugged in on either side of the bed or has pulled down and made a nest of the bedspread. THAT I can live with!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I put a doggie bed next to my side of the bed and Uma usually sleeps there. She always starts in the bed with me and my husband, but jumps down as soon as I turn off the tv and sleeps soundly on her little bed (which is adorable because it matches our bedspread) all night. She'll jump up if she needs to go out or gets cold, but mostly just stretches out on her bed.

It'll be interesting to see what she does when we get puppy #2. Knowing her, I'm sure her and the new puppy will cuddle together. She can't get enough of other dogs.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver(100lbs) has always slept in our bed along with
2 or 3 cats. They all know that Mommy is the boss.
We do not have problems other then we need a King size
bed. Once again it is an individual choice and depends
on the dog. He sleeps at the foot of the bed and sometimes
in the night he will go sleep on his pillow on the floor.
:wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We opted for a king size bed. Tanner starts off on the bed then he moves either to the hardwood floor or his bed in the corner. If he gets cold in the night, he hops up on the bed to sleep between us...my 20 lb cat is already there sharing my pillow :twisted:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cali has slept in her crate in our bedroom since day #1 and has no idea that the bed or furniture are options. For us, if it ain't broke....

Sort of the same question as do you let your babies/kids sleep in bed with you. It's a very individual thing.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota is allowed in bed with us if he so chooses. In Sacramento during the summer, he generally prefers the cool marble floor in our bathroom but will "visit" the bed periodically. during the winter, he usually chooses to sleep in his pillow bed on the floor next to us. at our lake house, however, he ALWAYS sleeps in our bed. I believe he likes it there because he can look out the windows to both the front and back of our house.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I believe he likes it there because he can look out the windows to both the front and back of our house.
I'd *like it there because I could look out the windows to both the front and back of your house :oops: :? :!:

* Me ... Mary ... :wink:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Abby sleeps on her bed next to my bed or the bathroom floor where it is cool. She has never tried to jump on furniture or on my bed, which is what I prefer :D In the morning her head will be resting on my bed with her nose next to mine, which is the extent of her being on my bed :shock:

·
Registered
260 Posts
we decided that kumo would not be allowed on the furniture or the bed because we wanted to be able to take him to other people's houses, and leave him with friends when we're away (rather than boarding). not everybody wants a 70 lb. dog up on their furniture, or trying to get in bed with them at night! he's never been on the couch, and i don't even think he realizes that getting up on the furniture is an option.

-em

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky is not allowed up on *any* furniture, my bed included! He sometimes sleeps on a large towel which is on the carpet next to the bed, sometimes on the kitchen floor (vinyl), or on the hardwood floor by the door which goes out to the garage. The only time he's in his crate is when I have to leave home to go shopping or whatever.

He doesn't have a dog bed. Several months ago I got him a big dog pillow. He promptly chewed the corner off the cover, chewed through the liner, and started to remove the stuffing (fiberfill) before I took it away from him. I've put it away for now. Maybe someday, if and when he stops eating everything, I'll patch it up and give it back to him.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annabelle sleeps on one of the beds off and off - guest room and our room - DH goes to bed at 8:30pm,up at 4:30, so usually AB and I are in guest room watching tv/on computer til wee hours of the morning, she's a nightowl like Mommy!

She does hop on and off depending on her mood - sometimes she sleeps on her bed in the hallway where she can see all 3 doors - I think she is being protective.

Our labbies always slept on the bed if they chose to, they also had beds on the floor if they wanted.

I think it is just personal preference, if Marley doesnt bother you being up on the bed, then I'd let him be where he wants.

Annabelle votes for letting Marley on the bed :wink:

Also - how is Kathy's brother, not sure if I missed post on that or if you hadnt' posted

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
All of our dogs sleep on the bed at one time or another in the night. The big dogs usually start out there, then move to the floor or on the deck, the little dogs start on the floor and end up on the bed.
I LOVE having them in our bed.
They are smart enough to know when they can and can't be on furniture and are very obedient (finally) about that...but we love our dogs nearby and wouldn't dream of keeping them from us at night.
They are fine in a crate too...but we all prefer the closeness of them on the bed.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
FoodLady said:
One of my absolute rules when we got Ebbe was that she WOULD NOT be sleeping with us! And at 10 mos. it is the ONLY rule to which we still adher. :roll:
Ebbe......there's plenty of room for you in our bed!! :wink: :wink:
Jonah

I know all the experts say the bed is for the Alpha only, but I love my doods in the bed, They jockey for the prime position, then when Jonah wins, he gets down and sleeps on the floor. He is always back on the bed by morning though.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter has been everywhere...on the bed (between us), on the bed (at the foot of the bed), on the floor in our bedroom, on his dog bed on the floor in our bedroom. Currently he's back in the basement because he was being bad last week. He LOVES the bed w/us, but we only let him sleep with us sometimes to not get him too used to it. When we're away he always is in bed with us (hey, it keeps him quiet).

Oh yeah, Kirby doesn't know the bed is an option for him and we're planning to keep it that way - he seems so happy on the floor or on the dog bed. We only have a queen and can't have 2 humans and 2 doodles in bed.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quite a range of of responses, as we expected. We are thinking about alternating between the bed and the crate/doggie bed switching things up. Tonight is crate night. Days where he has had lots of exercise..maybe the bed. We will go day by day,in hopes we can keep some semblence of order in the process. Both, just bed? Just out of the bed. We will just keep working it until we get a program we can all live with.

Thanks for asking Mary and Annabelle. I did put a post up onthe travel Advice Topic. Kathy's brother is improving daily. He is off the respirator, breathing on his own, and his kidney functions are nearly normal. He is getting stronger each day. He has a ways to go, both physically and mentally in adjusting without his leg but he is ready and willing for rehab, so we are hoping for the best.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
gene said:
FoodLady said:
Ebbe......there's plenty of room for you in our bed!! :wink: :wink:
Jonah
Iquote]

:oops: :oops: :oops: OH ... Jonah! :oops: :oops: :oops: You make a girl blush .... Ebbe

Jonah ... How soon do you want her? DH is out of town so am playing single parent. After a hyperactive fun time at the dog park (1:15 hrs) which should wear an self respecting doodle out. Ours is having fun rolling a tennis ball UNDER the computer desk...then getting between me and desk to try to get it :shock: ! Unfortunately, the incessant pawing motion that seems to need to go along with that is quite painful on my feet. Not to mention she goes for my GLASSES and pony tail -more pain- when I haul myself down on my knees to get the d*^%(n ball.
So I repeat .... when? Mary

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok Max always from day 1 slept at the foot of our bed HOWEVER when i went to obedience class MAX on his own started sleeping in his crate. He just recently started sleeping at the end of our king sized bed again, though once in a while if it's hot he goes on the floor to his doggy bed.
AND every so often he wants to sleep in his crate.

peanut sleeps with my son or in her crate as she ends up playing 'airborn" doodle most of the night and will eat something too. :roll:

·
Registered
985 Posts
We've never had our dogs in bed with us. Partly it's because I'd read the same things that were mentioned before: that it upsets the alpha balance. But also, my husband's a light sleeper and a dog tossing and turning, or jumping up and then back down, would "murder sleep" like Macbeth....Even the dog's snoring on her bed at the foot of ours disturbs him sometimes. So our dogs have a bed near ours and that seems to work perfectly well. Sometimes Chouette will put her head on the bed in the morning to see what's up, but if the little mouth is open and the teeth are flashing, meaning she's in a playful mood at 6 a.m. or whatever it is, she doesn't get much reinforcement!

Leslie

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Foodlady:
I'd *like it there because I could look out the windows to both the front and back of your house
Hahaha!! So do I!!! Wonderful to wake up to!!! :D When DH and I were designing the house, we started with a closed-in master bedroom with no view of the lake. We didn't like that much, so we thought maybe we'd have window-like 3'x18" openings to "glimpse" the view through. When we finally thought about what we'd be missing, we completely opened our master bedroom loft-style and decided if anyone needed to peek into our bedroom that badly, GO FOR IT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts