Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Dexter might be ready to sleep in my daughter's room at night. He phased his way out of his crate (never LOVED it, but tolerated it). Now he basically sleeps in the kitchen on his bed. He lasts all night there without a peep, accidents are a distant memory.

What's the best way to let him know he can sleep in her room now? Just bring his bed in there and let him figure out the rest?? He's actually never been upstairs yet either, I don't think he realizes he can just walk up the stairs!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I would let him see you bringing his bed upstairs to your daughters room, and say 'C'mon Dex....look where Mommy's putting your bed, and you can sleep tonight! BUT....keep in mind that he's experiencing new surroundings if he hasn't been upstairs yet, and just might have a little accident! So be prepared..... :D

P.S. In the morning you also might find him snuggled up to
your daughter in her bed!!! :wink: Much nicer,softer and warmer than his!!! hahahahaha :D :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh :) I would bet money you will find him in bed with your daughter :)
We have trouble keeping Dexter out of our bed.

I think Kathie's suggestion is good. Maybe lure him up to the room with a treat and give it to him when he gets on his bed? Just be prepared that he may actually love to sleep in the kitchen so if he resists the new room you may have to take it slow.

Be sure to take some cute photos of them :)

G

·
We moved Bella about 2 months ago from the kitchen to the bedroom We just moved her bed and invited her in. She usually sleeps there, unless someone in the family is not home yet...then she waits in the kitchen until they arrive. I tell her "Time for night, night" and she runs up the steps, then I tell her "Go to place" and she settles (half off and half on her bed)... Why do they like their heads hangin off? :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
mabye for the same reason they sleep sometimes with their legs up in the air looking like rigor mortis set in? hahhahahahhaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so last night was The Test Night. He never even made it up the stairs. :? Our work is cut out for us. My daughter keeps giving me withering looks.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh...haha...

so you mentioned that dexter hadn't been upstairs yet. Maybe you should try encouraging him to go up the stairs (put a treat on one step...then the next) to encourage him to go up. The thing is that it's not good for young puppies to do the stairs too much so I would maybe carrying him up to the top (then give him a treat) would be better for now.

They're funny - we have 2 levels to our backyard (we have a retaining wall) and for 2-3 months our Dexter never tried to go down to the lower area - I don't think he realized it was even there.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, OK. I guess I thought he was out of the "young puppy" stage because of his height, but I guess not. I don't want to make him do something he shouldn't be doing.

We did try the treat-on-the-steps thing, but he would crane as high as he possibly could without moving his hind legs from the base of the stairs, and then he'd just bark at us...like he really really WANTED to, but couldn't bring himself to get those hind legs working. OK, I'll carry him up and give him a treat at the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts