Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going on day 9 with our adorable new mini labradoodle, Sophie. Crate and Potty Training are going "okay". I just have to watch her like a hawk, every second. She is 12 weeks old today, and although I have her on a pretty strict eating and going out to potty schedule, her body just doesn't seem to want to "hold it" or take part in a schedule. After eating she may want to poop right away, or other times, she may eat and then not poop for 4 or 5 HOURS. Anyway, my question is about getting her up to tinkle in the night. She gets her last drink of water around 7:00 pm. She tinkles a couple of times before bedtime, and then she goes into her crate around 10:30. For the last 9 nights, she has whimpered around 3:00 am. She stands up in her crate and looks at me. (the crate is on the floor beside my bed.) I take her outside, she tinkles right away, and then she goes back into the crate where she sleeps til around 6:00am.
When cleaning out her nighttime crate, I did notice there were a couple of tinkle stains on my old shirt that I had put in there with her.
I don't know if this happened on night one, two, or eight. My question is whether or not a puppy at age 12 weeks is capable of holding it all night.
What is the typical time frame for a puppy getting through the night without having to be taken out? She is 12 weeks old and about 8 pounds.
Thanks so much for any suggestions or advice.
Melissa and Sophie

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hello Melissa, most 12 wk old puppies are able to hold it all night but each dog is different and some take longer than others. She should start sleeping all night soon, if not, you might have the vet check her for a UTI. Have you tried putting a light sheet over her crate? If she can't stand up and see you, she just may lay back down and go to sleep.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Melissa, welcome!

I agree with Diane, be sure to check for UTI and if she is fine, then focus on your schedule...most pups that age are able to hold it most of the night, but usually need to potty immediately upon waking up...which could be the problem...if you wait for ther to cry, it may be too late.

My dogs never cry to go out, they never give me a signal...I just need to take them.

There are so many methods and so many experts saying different things, you will find what works for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Melissa - I'm in the same boat as you. Farley will be 13 weeks (three months to the day) old tonorrow and he has slept through the night once, and that was this past Tuesday night. The problem is he usually poos when he goes out at night, so when he barks to go out, I don't want to not take him. Wew have had him for three weeks and I thought he'd be sleeping all night by now but I also thought general house training would be going better than it is so I'm trying to not get upset and just keep working with him.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Potty training, as you know, involves so many things...not only bladder control but learning how to signal you to let him out and understanding that he is SUPPOSED to go out and supposed to signal...this is an awfully lot for a puppy to learn...so, as hard as it is, keep your spirits up and try to be patient...it will pay of in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts