Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

The vet said Dante was too skinny at his 12 week visit and asked me to up his Canidae from 2 to 3 cups a day. She understands that he is a growing puppy but said she can feel too far in between all of his ribs and you can really feel his hip bones as well. We did do a stool check and no worms.

I can not get Dante to eat more than 2 cups a day. We have tried increasing to 1 cup at three scheduled times a day. We have also tried letting him graze and leaving his food out all day. He still is only eating 2 cups.

I really didn't want to start a habit of having to add to his food to get him to eat it. Any suggestions of what we can supplement him with that will put some weight on him but not upset his system?

We are also getting an average of 4 stools a day. I think this is okay for a puppy?

Thanks in advance for the great advice I know I'm going to get!

Heather and Dante

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver was also a little too skinny as a puppy and our vet said the same thing.
I started adding Canidae's canned food. I have continued this as he
will not eat enough of the dry. I mix one third of the can with his dry(2 cups) in the morning and same mixture in the evening. Or if you like mix a little chicken, sweet potato and 2 cups dry.
I realize that you said you prefer to not start adding but this is just in case
you change your mind :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I do the Same as Sue.

I give dry Canidae dog food with a little canned. And some sweet potatoe but not much, chicken and rice. She beefed up real quick!
My vet said the same when he felt her, a tad skinny on the ribs but otherwise happy, healthy and alert.

NOW she's a little flffernutter 22lbs at 14wks

HOWEVER i am now beginning to wonder if this is just some doodles overall structure that's a bit thinner onthe ribs than other breeds?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I, also, know you don't want to add anything to his food, but, I started putting about a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese on Doc's food in the morning when he was younger because he didn't want to eat his food in the morning. He would throw up bile if he didn't get some food in his stomach. At 15 months, I still put the cottage cheese on the dry food in the morning most of the time, unless I run out, but I don't put anything on his evening meal.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK one other thing i just remembered. Max now 8mos old went thru a stage when he was yonger like 16wks old and sometimes didn't always go right for his food.

I sat down, held the bowl up to me and acted like i was eating something soooo yummy making sounds :roll: and then would push Max away hahaha worked like a dream!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mia was also a doodle that would not eat her dry food very enthusiastically so I started mixing in just a tablespoon of canned tripe ... enough to coat the dry with the "delicious" flavour of tripe. That solved the problem but I found it very smelly. If I didn't have the tripe she would not eat the dry.

I've now switched her from her original Natural Balance to a new food and she's much more enthusiastic even when it's just the dry. She's now on Innova Evo ... but I sometimes still give her a little taste of canned Innova Evo (95% duck) with the dry just as a treat.

As long as you are measuring and keeping the portion sizes accurate mixing a little canned food (or chicken or sweet potatoes) isn't adding ... just enhancing. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow you all "SPOIL" your doodles (I'm not suprised tho.. :D )

Our Pongo went through a little eating boycott too. I read to mix brands up every few months to help balance any food defiencies. And if you do add canned, to try another maker for nutritional balance.
Now, I am no expert but I read it online , I'll try ot find the article and post it.
With that said, I give him Innova Large Breed Puppy 1 heaping cup and a 1/4 can or Merrick Puppy Plate (it looks just like chicken stew) it has Turkey, Duck, Chicken, Peas, Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Liver, Carrots, and Granny Smith Apples and he eats that 3x's a day. He gobbles up his food now :wink:
~Jenny

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner is another guy that is not very interested in eating.

I have to add a bit or canned Canidae, yogurt, or something to get him to eat. I mix this with his first 1 cup then I put another cup of dry in his bowl. This way I can at least get him to eat 1 cup each morning and night and he will usually go back a munch from time to time on the second cup.

Sounds like they all have something in common :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I've tried it all...and even home cooking gets a sniff and "walk away" ...that's when I go back to kibble!
I think it is the Poodle in them. Most of my dogs, only one exception, would seem underweight...but they are all lean, strong and athletic. They have energy and are happy.
We free feed so they can eat whenever they get hungry. Often I catch them eating in the middle of the night!
You can try a canned "mixer" too. That might help...or drizzle bacon grease over the kibble.
Just try to add some higher calorie treats...
But don' t worry. This is a very common fear for doodle owners...we all expect our dogs to eat like, and look like, the Lab side. I only have one Labby girl (and she is on the heavy side) but all of the others are very lean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts