Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Katie an 11 month old Labradoodle 2 months ago. At first, our vet and I thought some hair loss and "funky skin smell" was due to stress. Two months later, and Katie is scratching frequently (no fleas) and has that funky demadex bad skin smell. Anyone else experiencing skin issues? From reading this forum for the last two hours she appears "doodle normal", LOL in all other ways. Thanks for any info. Most of the hair loss is in her inner back thighs. Her bed stinks to high heaven. She's been treated with antibiotics and prednesone.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
hi I always seem to start with food.

when I got my F2 he was lacking hair in areas I put him
on the food my dogs eat and his coat is filling in and his odor has changed
(it wasnt really offensive, but it was certainly different)

btw welcome :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the fast reply. I have a friend who has a 'doodle also, and she was told to feed a "raw" diet. What do you feed your dogs? My other dogs eat Purina One . In the past, I had a dog with allergies and fed him a food from Fint River. I've also heard of a natural food........something like "Eveno" or "evo". Any ideas?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi katiedid!

I used Innova ..there's also Innova EVO...here's the websitehttp://www.naturapet.com/display.ph...all dog foods and their nutritional ratings: http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2556&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0[/b]
Petco and Petsmart sell many brands such as Blue Buffalo, Nutro, etc

good luck ....keep us posted :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
hmmmm

Have you noticed any redness or pimple-looking areas? Cody developed a skin infection. He had little white bumps here and there and the vet put him on antibiotics which cleared it right up. Maybe it's something like that?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
yes I feed nutro like maxnme said :)

havent noticed pimples on my doodles, but on the chin of our lab we had them once and gave antibiotics - so it could be from the lab side. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Liz had the skin infection, funky smell. The vet recommended some shampoos & told me to always use a conditioner. This seemed to mostly work for her skin.

Then she got a terrible ear infection & awful smell. Here's the interesting part- the vet had just come back from a canine conference (who knew??) and new research shows that most of the diagnosed "allergies" are really yeast infections?? I don't know anything about this - breeders comments? - but the vet didn't give us antibiotics/steroids, instead he prescribed us something for a yeast infection. Her earache (and it was truly horrible) was gone in a week.

Could be that the medicine that works for one works for the other? I thought it was interesting.

LizziesMom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's it!!!! I run a humane society AND a boarding facility and should have recognized that smell! It's a yeast infection!!! Thanks to everyone for the help. I'm so glad I found this site! It's nice to know that Katie is not the only one out there with jumping and "mouthy" issues too. I'm calling our vet today regarding the yeast.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think it was zymox I used for ear yeast infection. what a wonderful thing it was!

yes a funky smell isnt it. and the goop it creates.

I keep ear wash around and use it occasionally and always after a swim.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max had a yeast infection in his ears when we got him and ewww it smelled. I used OTOMAX ointment from the vet and wow cleared it up instantly. I also clean his ears out with vinegar and water which helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We live on the waterway, and also have a small pond in the backyard. Katie is ALWAYS going for a swim, :lol:

We have invisible fence, but can't train Katie on it 'til next week after our daughter moves out of the guestroom. That entrance has the doggie door for Katie, then we will have some control over her swims. Also, small dogs will be in front yard and Katie and other large dog will have back yard, acrerage in front of water (but not IN water) and lots of space to romp safely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I meant to mention, her bed in her crate smells to high heaven also. I washed it yesterday, and for a "non shedder" she sheds a LOT :!:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Katiedid said:
I meant to mention, her bed in her crate smells to high heaven also. I washed it yesterday, and for a "non shedder" she sheds a LOT :!:
ummmm sounds like you dont have a non shed coat there :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She sheds MUCH less than our Golden and Collie did. But, nope, I wouldn't call her a no shedder. I don't see it floating around the hardwood floors like I did with the others, but I DEFINITELY find it in her crate area. Also when I brush her. Do you think the skin stuff and shedding just indicates poor breeding? She is the SWEETEST thing in the world, and I didn't get her because of non-shedding. Friends of our have a doodle named Syd and we fell in love with him. Also a doodle boards with me at work and is such a sweetie, so when the opportunity came along we scooped Katie up.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
oh katiedid absolutely not - it wouldnt indicate that at all. I mean with the skin thing if its just a matter of food then nope probably not the breeding :) And the shed thing absolutely not. Not sure what generation she is, but first gen tends to shed. just the way it is. Mine does. 2nd gen tends to not, but some do. There really is no guarantee. and when you brush her and see hair, I dont really consider that shedding in terms of dogs per se. Poodles always have hair in the brush and they are by normal standards considered a non shed dog. Of course the hair on the bed would lead me to say she is for sure a low shed. But isnt it great that there arent hair monsters like with a true shedding dog such as a lab? :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
my fiance's brother has a st bernard/husky mix and believe me when that dog even sneezes their whole floor is covered with dog hair :shock: !! hahhaa when he walks by you it's like watching needles falling off a charley brown xmas tree. :cry:

sooooooo max's fuzz that appears on table legs or under ottomans is fine by me. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, I agree! Our Golden had huge balls of fur roving the floors and hiding in corners. The other day I took a gorgeous black and white mixed breed to the vet for neuter for the Topsail Humane Society. Very nice lady there said she'd love to take him home with her, he's so handsome, yada, yada. He then shook all over and medium length black and white (mostly white) hairs all OVER the black floor. She turned and left, LOL!

Katie is definitely a low shedder. I'm going to try to get in touch with her original owner and find out what generation she is, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts