Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have skin problems with their doodle.. Maggie seems to have a real problem.. We are seeing the vet every couple of months due to her chewing at herself to the point where she has an open sore or two... Vet suggests maybe allergy testing? Have switched her food several times - think that Duck is the answer but she is still itchy quite often.. Please help. Thanks...

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I tell you I feel your pain. Dexter has gone through several foods. He was getting frequent ear infections. We settled on Natural Balance Duck & Potato and besides one last week, he hasn't had any infections in 8-9 months. However, he's still a very itchy doodle. I am afraid to mess with his food again because I don't want to go back to the ear problems.

Our vet told us to eliminate everything besides food from the diet. The only treats we should give are carrots and treats made by Natural Balance (also Duck & Potato). So that's all our doodles eat besides some occasional peanut butter and pineapple.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so glad to hear that your puppy responded to the duck and potato.. We are on the Wellness Duck & Rice and she looks one hundred percent better. She used to have little red feet from all of her licking when she was on the lamb and before that, beef... She is still itchy though, I wonder if it is something that she is just going to have to live with.. Have you considered the allergy testing? Seems quite expensive and possibly inconclusive...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Chouette was itchy also, although not to that extent. I was giving her fish oil capsules to help with dry skin. Then when I finally got her groomed somewhere other than at Petsmart the groomer told me she had fleas. Not many, but enough to cause some discomfort. We never saw any signs of them. So when we got her home we treated her with Frontline, and the itching has greatly decreased. When we took her back to the groomer eight weeks later she said she saw a few dead fleas but no live ones. She still recommended one more application of Frontline, so I waited a day and did that. It also turned out that her dirty left ear was the result of mites, not a fungus. I have no idea why the vet couldn't have diagnosed that in October when we had her spayed. He just cleaned them and gave me some prednisone for her.

I put Chou on Canidae lamb to see if that would help her ears, but of course it wouldn't have since it was mites and not allergies.

All this to say that sometimes it's hard to tease out what's causing what. On the other hand, if your pup is doing well on the duck-based food that definitely narrows it down. Hope the improvement continues!

Leslie

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have had terrible problems with Chloe up to the point of her hair falling out and bald spots. I have her on a herring and rice formula currently but am thinking of switching to the Duck and Potato since it seems to have good reviews around here. Her hair isn't falling out as much but when I bathe her, there is always alot left in the tub. She still has little bumps that look similar to pimples on her chest and upper legs. She doesn't scratch as much as she did. Her hair is very course and brittle. I feel bad for her and it is very frustrating to pay so much for a dog and then have so many problems. I love her though and we just overlook her "ugly duckling" stage that she still seems to be in :).

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
many skin allergies can be food related and finding which ingredients cause it , well is not always easy

for us Canidae was the solution for both digestion and also
Max and Peanut haven't had one ear/yeast infection on it.

I found things like corn, eggs, etc were possibly culprits in past for Max's dry flaking skin which he itched and also was losing hair.

I hope you find out what's causing the problems and/or find a food your dogs get relief from their symptons. Keep us posted please

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm not a crusader however Abby is doing quite well on this diet www.rawmeatybones.com It's called the Prey Model diet. Her pre-op bloodwork was excellent when she was spayed. She is thriving and quite happy on it. Some Vets do suggest this diet for animals with allergies...mtd

[/URL][/img]

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon also has a bad case of the itchies. We've switched foods so often she's come to expect it. We're on Duck & Potato now. She showed improvement for a couple of days, but now it's back to square one again. The same with all the other foods we've gone with.

I read online last week that allergies can promote skin yeast infections and that one of the symptoms was itching getting better then coming back after switching to a single source protein like the Duck & Potato - which the website recommended. I'll have to see if I can find that again...but anyway, it recommended giving yogurt to combat the yeast in the skin. We're trying that now, Cinn's been on that for 6 days now. I haven't seen any difference yet.

We are seriously thinking about doing the allergy testing. I've heard it's expensive and that it's not pleasant to the animal. They have to shave them to see the results of the tests and its injections and all that. I'm not sure if I want to put Cinn through that, but if it tells us how to help her itching. I don't know if it would be worth it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are also trying the fish oil tablets and of course the medicated shampoo. She does not like the idea of being bathed every 3 days though... I sure hope that the duck is the trick but I know that the Lamb and Rice seemed to work for awhile too and then back to square one again... I am so upset that these doodles have these skin problems... They are such terrific dogs but this does seem to be a common problem...[/img]

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Have you considered the allergy testing? Seems quite expensive and possibly inconclusive...
yeah our vet said we could do it if we wanted, but like you mention, he said the same thing (expensive and not always conclusive).

Oh yeah - when we did the whole food elimination thing, the vet gave Dex a cortizone shot first to calm everything down. He said if you don't calm everything down first, it could take weeks to get the system clean and see if the diet is working. I think we can deal w/the itching (it's not overly excessive - like he's not causing himself to bleed or scab or anything like that) if his ears stay clean.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had the steroids twice in the past - this time they tried to avoid it due to the overuse of them causing trouble down the road.. Gave an antibiotic for the infection of the sore and the shampoo/fish oil deal... Seems to be going okay so far just wish there was a more definitive answer. Thanks for all of the advice. Funny how you get a dog that is good for folks with allergies and they have a bad case of it themselves!!! My husbands deceased father was a veternarian and studied many years ago in Italy - My husband says he is probably laughing at us thinking why didn't you just get a mutt... They are the best he said.... We love her just the same, allergies and all...

Lydia

1 - 12 of 12 Posts