Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have another question..

If you can all remember.. How much did your dogs weigh when they were about 4 months old?

Charlie is 13" and only 12 pounds. I am sure he will gain a few more since we are feeding him better than at the shelter but he isnt THAT MUCH under weight!

Do you think that is small for a 4 month old?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YEAH! I was just looking at an old post and he is about half the size of everyone else! That is funny because we thought he was a big puppy! Maybe he is a mini? I wish I knew about his parents :roll:
Well I guess this just looks like more research for me!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing i just remembered, the lady at the shelter adopted his sister the day before and said that she was a little smaller than him.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm wondering if there were small dogs involved in Charlie's breeding? I guess you'll find out soon...I would think that a lack of nutrition could have hindered his growth so far. But my 24" tall std. poodle only weighs 45 lbs when she's not nursing, and she's always fairly boney. She's just a slim poodle! Your Charlie might have a physique that takes after his poodle side. But it would be fun if he was a mini wouldn't it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Maureen! Lack of nutrition is another thing i was considering! However, now he is on Science Diet (vet recommended it), so he should be getting everything he needs! Either way he is already part of our family and we love him very much, no matter how big, or small he is!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Charlie, to be fair to the breeder (altho I don't understand taking puppies to a shelter) all breeders see some puppies grow bigger than others within the litter, but with 2 similarly-sized parents, usually those size differences due to getting more or less food are all nullified and genetics take over once the different puppies are alone in their new homes. Does that make sense? One puppy who was a clear-cut "runt" in one of our litters is now 75lbs and over 25" tall! So if Charlie comes from larger parents his growth could have been slowed due to his not being as aggressive for food, or the breeder not giving him as much as his body needs, but hang on tight, if his genetics dictate that he'll be big then big is what he'll be! :wink:

I guess what I meant to say is that I am not trying to accuse anyone of poor care or witholding food for Charlie and his sister before you got him.

does that help clarify?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean, I guess i will just have to wait and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sammy was quite a bit bigger... but we are only expecting her to reach 60lbs or so in the end.

She weighed 27lbs at 4 months and is 40lbs now at 6 months.

Heres a link to Sammys growth chart:
http://sammydoodle.tripod.com/id1.html

her sire was 75lb poodle and dam was a 45lb lab.

Charlie: as far as nutrition goes, I hate to tell you but the vets always recommend science diet because they get kickbacks ($$$$) but its really a terrible food. Vets dont take nutrition in vet school and many have no clue what makes a good food. The truth is that basically any brand you can buy at the grocery store is a bad idea and you will have to go to a pet store to buy the goo stuff. Here is a grading scheme to help you see what makes a good food and what foods get rated very highly:
http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/vi ... .php?t=642

There are also more links at the top of that post that are good websites to look around. Sciece Diet gets an F.

Here are some of the high scorers:
*Innova
*Royal Canin
*Chicken Soup
*Wellness
*Canidae
*Kirkland (is this the stuff you can get at Sams? Anyone know?)
*Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance (we feed the duck and potato version of this because Sammy has allergies... many dogs are allergic to wheat, corn, chicken, lamb etc so he uses less common sources of protein.)

In general you want something with very specific sources of meat that are "meal"... chicken meal, lamb meal. NO byproducts, and no corn or wheat.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OH WOW, I can not even believe that a Vet would sell something like that! MONEY MONEY MONEY, i guess! Thank you so much for that post, that REALLY helped me and i deffinately plan on switching to a healthier food! I feel horrible for buying this EXPENSIVE food and its not even helping him!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dont feel bad! I know its aweful that vets do that... that is why it is so important to find a vet you trust is really in the game to help you make your pet the healthiest it can be rather than tryign to get you to cough up more money. We are in the process of looking for a new vet!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a vet suggest that I switch from a super premium food to Science Diet or Iams and I'm inclined to think that she hadn't even heard of the food that I was feeding my boys. Petsmart's Authority Harvest Baked is a good quality food that seems to have a high palatability. I really appreciate the convenience of being able to buy it at Petsmart or online, when they have free shipping.

·
Registered
269 Posts
dshell it would not surprise me AT ALL if they didnt know what the food was. It is this simple: Vets make money from Science Diet so they recommend it. Period. Its sad when money comes before good health.

Thanks Maureen, ok so Kirkland is the Costco brand, and its rated pretty high. I am not a member of Costco but if Sammy wasnt having allergy issues and didnt need the two ingredient food I would definitely look into it. I have heard great things about it!

I will say that Sammy does LOVE LOVE LOVE this duck and potato though!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts