Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just got a new labradoodle puppy and he is sooo great! cute funny everything you want in a dog. The breeder told me that she expected D.O.G. (pronounced deeohhgee) to be a smaller dog of about 55lbs, but I am wondering. He is three months old and weighs 17lbs. I was wondering what any of you thought about his potental size full grown. This is my first large breed dog so I don't know what to expect (my other dog is a papillon). Also he has ear infections so I am collecting tips from owners on methods they use to prevent ear infections in their dogs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Biscuit was 17 lbs at 3 months, 26 lbs at 4 months and 41 lbs at 5 months. Our vet said he would be approximately 70 lbs. Both parents were 50 lbs. So, we will see. But, everytime I look at him he is bigger. I remember how little he was as a puppy and now there is this big torso and long legs!

Enjoy. Susan

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi and welcome!
I love the name for your D.O.G. !!! Very clever!
I don't believe that puppy size tells you much about how to predict the adult size, but that is only my opinion based on what I have observed.
That being said...puppy FOOT size does! LOL
If your pup has biiiiig feet, you can expect a biiiig dog!
Your vet can probably give you a fairly accurate guess...but the best way would be to find out what both parents weighed and what other sizes were in their linage. If your breeder has that information, he/she can probably guess fairly accurately.
Breeders can also base their determination on whether or not the parents of your puppy has had previous litters and what those litters looked like as adults.
I have heard of calculations that you can make by weighing your pup at a certain age, doubling it, adding to it, and tacking on holidays (I added that last part to see if you were paying attention. :wink: ) but I really can't say that such a method has been accurate.
I hope that you will post a picture of D.O.G. on our photo gallery page.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hello, and welcome....I have NO IDEA how to predict sizes...but I usually judge by the parents, and then have a 1-2" margin either way. My Yankee is just 20.5" yet came from a 24" mom.

I don't know how in the world anyone can guess weights when crossing such a boney (in a good way) breed like a poodle with a muscular (in a good way) breed like a Lab. Yankee, for example weighs 61lbs, while 24" tall Sheba (full poodle) weighs 45!

But one thing we all know is that we take pure delight in watching our doodles grow!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
sorry, about the ears..... CORN in the diet can be a real bugaboo for dogs and many foods have corn meal in them, so the first thing I would suggest is to check the ingredients on your food.

Secondly, there are nice, and mild cleansing solutions to help with current ear problems. Your vet can easily help.

Poodles do have hair in their ears, and it has to be managed and possibly pulled so it varies how much hair a doodle has, but if it's there, it needs to be managed as well.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am sorry, I forgot to mention the ears...we have had a very wet winter (rain, not snow) and I have had 2 dogs and one puppy with ear infections.
The dogs had a yeast infection (not sure if the pup's was yeast) but my vet had me using all sorts of cleaning products...nothing worked, so finally she gave them a shot of cortizone (sp??) and some pills to go along with the cleaning and it woked wonders! Cleared up immediately.
I'd ask for something from the vet because it is really hard to get rid of the infection once it gets bad.
I hope this has helped.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
wow, Jac, never heard of giving a dog a shot of cortisone! Glad it all worked out. If the ears seem too infected our vet has a ($20!) tube of cortisone cream she gives me to insert after the earwash stuff. the earwash stuff is done 2x/day and the cort. cream 1x/day, preferably at night, I think. Thank God we haven't had to use it for a while, but I'm glad I now have some on hand. :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi paps&doodles! You guys are gonna laugh at me because of this post but that's ok....

I am a cytotechnologist which basically means that I sit behind a microscope (thankfully only one day a week now!) and screen pap smears sooooo.....when I saw paps&doodles......well you can imagine..... I thought I had found a fellow cytotech/doodle owner! I'm a goof!!!

Welcome to the board!! Your dogs are cute! Your pap is much cuter than the ones I look at! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts