Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riley has been home for nearly two weeks now, and is about 11 weeks old. I want to start obedience training early with him, as the message will get through clearer now than it will later, and hold off any excessive dominant behaviors, and so we can establish ourselves as pack leaders.

I have tried numerous times with the easiest command - "sit". From what I have read, you hold a treat just over the dog's head and he will sit automatically to reach the treat. When I do this, Riley just jumps for the treat! Every single time!! What am I suppossed to do? This is harder than I thought it would be... :roll:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We held the treat slightly above the head so the pup looks up. We had the treat in a closed hand so she couldnt get it until she did it right, but could smell it was there. we would say "sit" and gently press down on her bum and as soon as it hit the floor, we opened our hand and gave the treat. If she tried to bite our hand to get the treat early, we would use a sharp "AH AH", pull our hand away behind our back, wait a second, and start again.

I like the closed hand as opposed to showing the treat with most of our commands, as it works even if our hand is empty once she starts learning the words.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok here's something that ususally works and also is done at training with us.

Rather than push his bottom down try this...and even without a treat too if you want (to try it)

Have your dog by your side ,left side, say sit while holding your right hand gently on his collar resting on his chest. You can kneel as then you aren't looming over your puppy.

Now with left hand gently slide it by just above his rear contine down his legs guding him to sit down. YOu left hand will tuck lightly behind his legs and he sits. Commend with Good sit!! good Riley!! repeat.
Riley will get this quickly if not keep at it. Little puppies love to play

I do it without treats BECAUSE my doodles LOSE focus when they see the treat or Peanut goes haywire hahahhaa

If you use a treat use tiny pieces like i do with max for new command/exercises. It might help???

Lastly, once Riley picks this up you don't have to use your hand. You can cup a small treat in your hand saying SIT ONCE and thehold your hand over and higher than his nose while brining it in a somewhat backward motion almost touching their nose. This puts them into an automatic sit and give treat. PRAISE Riley !!! these dogs llove priase always use their name

Max so far has been trained for the past 3 months without treats. AT class now though we use it only for harder more complex exercises and then go back to no treats.

Some like to train with treats which is good. For us too many treats means diarrhea hahahha soooo thus no treats which is why my doodles see a treat and lose focus: they don't get them much :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OH at 11weeks old they train easily but also like a litte tiny child forget at times, want to play alot and have very SHORT attention spans.
I find Peanut at almost 5mos old is sooooooo babyish compared to Max at that age. Take in perspective Riley's personality as well.

Daily training is good with the drop it, no, good boy , come etc

sit, stay and down all comes in due time :D
Max took MONTHS to do a lie down and the word Settle worked better. He's great at others things, so as i say" pick and choose your battles" hahahhahaaa

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is what I do with Spooky. I show him the treat ask him to come to me than bring the treat near his nose but not give it to him than move the treat to my nose, which makes him pay attention and look at me. Don't give him the treat or ask him to sit until he pays attention to you. Once he is looking at you than ask to sit with the treat over his head. As soon as he sits down give him the treat right away. Repeat this in different places of your house and don't start teaching him outside as he will get distracted and won't listen to you. Remember do NOT give him the treat or ask him to sit until he pays attention to you. If he jumps on you say no and keep insisting for him to look at you. It worked for all my dogs and also for our new doodle Spooky. It took me about 15 minutes to get him to sit for the first time and now he does it all the time. He even knows that the only way he will get his treat is if he settles down and sits in the front of me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your suggestions, guys, and I will try them out. Once Riley has all his shots, we plan on enrolling him in some socialization and group obedience classes, so I'm sure this will help too.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You have been given some good advice...I won't add to the sit command...but do want to give you hope. :wink:
It is fine to take your puppy to a puppy kindergarten class before all of his shots. Usually these classes are held in a vet clinic where the floors have been disinfected and the pups are all required to have the first one or two series of shots.
If sitting is not working, you might want to work on other things...like just teaching him to respond to his name. Each time you say his name and he looks up (especially when you whisper it and/or he is sleeping) then either treat or praise (or both.)

·
Registered
273 Posts
We did a puppy socialization class and it really helped - ours was offered through the local humane society and held in a safe environment.

One thing we were taught is that you never use the word until you can consistantly get the behavior. If you are repeating "sit" "sit" "sit" and your puppy is jumping you are teaching your puppy either that "sit" means jump at the treat or to just blow you off and ignore you.

Until the puppy learns the desired behavior - don't us the word unless he is actually doing the behavior. (If you happen to catch your puppy sitting you can say "Yes - Sit" and reward with a treat)

Heather

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, we have success!!! I am SO proud of Riley.

I decided to try using a closed hand with the treat rather than the open, and help it more behind his head so that jumping wasn't an option, and said "Sit!". He immediately sat, smelling the treat, and got his reward. I did this only once more with the treat again, and he sat. Then, I did the motion over his head with out the treat, and told him to sit... and he sat! The next time, I only said sit, and he sat!!! I was getting so excited and giving him the most lavish praise - and this made him pretty excited too. I think he really had fun with it. I proceeded to go in different places in the house, different distances away from him, and he sat every time I told him to! Once, I put my hand in front of his face and told him to stay, and walked about 10 feet away from him. He didn't come over to me until I told him to!

I am SO suprised that it took only about two minutes to teach him how to sit. He is so smart!!!!! And I am so so proud. :)

I love this dog, haha!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Great job!
These dogs do love to make us happy, sometimes they just have a hard time figuring out what that is. But once they get the message, they are so easy to train.
Good work, you SHOULD be proud!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
TimeConsumer
Ah that is great. These dogs are very
smart and quick to learn. You are doing a wonderful job
and your puppy loves you lots!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Tonight we brought Peanut down the local Italian restarant/pizzeria. They requested to see her BUT they were so busy and crowded. So i decided to take advantage and train Peanut doing a sit and stay, OMG i was so proud of her. she NEVER jumped on anyone :shock: as at home she's mexican jumping bean, she never barked and whined once and had to go out :shock: ,she sat and stayed!! in fact, she was better OUT than at home hahahaa

I will say they learn fast but it's consistency with daily training that makes it stick or NOT let them outsmart you ? :roll:

I love HOW we all are so proud of our doodles !!!! and must say these dogs are smart for sure!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Good for you and Peanut, Annmarie
and you are right, consistency is the key.
As they can outsmart us if we let them.
Bahahhhahaaaa

·
Registered
2 Posts
blueteal said:
As they can outsmart us if we let them.
You've got that right! The puppy kindergarten we went to pushed the idea of no treat training, so that's what we did.

We were having trouble with our doodle (Punky)-- he usually would sit (albeit slowly), but just wouldn't learn "down". Constantly we'd have to be correcting him, frustratingly showing him over and over, and he just couldn't get the idea. We'd say "down" and he would just sit there staring at us.

Then one day my wife was moving his treats to a new cupboard and he was so excited she told him to sit to try and calm him down a bit.

His bum hit the floor immediately.

Surprised at the speed of the reaction, she tried "down". He did it so fast I swear the cupboards rattled when he hit the floor.

Turns out he knew _exactly_ what he wanted -- he just didn't see what was in it for him!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Timeconsumer!!

How fun!! I am so proud of Riley and you, BOTH!! Sounds to me like you have a wonder dog!! 8)
Coco is only now getting the idea of stay....thanks to Annmarie's tip on how to teach her to stay.....it's working, but slowly. :roll:

Wow! I was so excited for you as I read of your success!!
These Doodles are the BEST, huh? :!: :?: :!:

8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts