Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our labradoodle Sadie loves the water, even at this time of year. We take her down to the lake every weekend where she loves swimming and fetching sticks.

Several people have stopped and asked us if she is a Portugese Water Dog. I did not know a lot about this breed so I looked it up. There do seem to be a lot of similarities between the two breeds. I was wondering if anyone else had been asked that about their labradoodle. The black ones especially look like the PWD.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
yep :) and I used to want a PWD! then I saw labradoodle!! I think a labradoodle is easier to groom perhaps but I have never had the other. I also think they are way cuter, but I am partial ;) In san francisco for the baseball games people go in little boats with PWD to catch home runs in the water! Thats how I learned about PWD's!

here are a few pics, they seem to have spaniel or something else in them. I wonder whatthey are a mix of?

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have sometimes gotten that Boomer looks like an Italian Spinone. I don't think this is accurate with most doodles, but Boomer has a reddish coloring, so I think I can see the resemblance.

Spinone:

Boomer:

Bianca

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry, forgot to add, Boomer is a fabulous looking dog, hope ours turns out like that. Probably won't though as her coats quite smooth at 16 weeks although she is growing longer bits.
What did boomer look like as a pup?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boomer does look like a spinone - another breed I had not heard of. Although Boomer has the lighter nose, while the spinone's is darker. It seems common for labradoodles to lighten around the nose.

Boomer is a very handsome guy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on Boomer. He's the best (though I may be a bit biased :lol: )
Here are pictures of him growing up - from 6 weeks to a year. He's 14 months now: http://community.webshots.com/user/boomerdoodle

It's true that many doodle's noses lighten, but the reason why Boomer's is so light is because he's parti-factored, and its acutally white. He has a white chest, paws, nose, and tail tip.

His coat at 15 weeks looked like this:

So it got pretty scruffy...that's what I love about doodles...you never know what you're gonna get!

Bianca

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos.
Ours is similar to Boomer at 15 weeks apart from not as fluffy around to nose so hope she grows up to look similar.

He is lovely and I love his colouring especially :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although I've never met a portugese water dog, they do look cute. They are said to be non-shedding as well, a bonus for sure. Of course we are all labradoodle fans, so we are partial to the scruffy look.

G

·
There is a resemblance, Lisa. I do know the Irish Wolfhound coat is very rough. Most of the labradoodles I have seen are soft. Although, I did see a gorgeous red one at the football field a few weeks ago. He was an older puppy and I HAD to say hello and pet him :lol: . He looked really soft and fluffy, but his coat was rough and wiry to the touch. Anyone else have that?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I love love love the irish wolfhound, I think my f1 is very similar to them. His coat is similar to the wolfhounds I have petted at shows and such :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found a couple of parti Portugese Water Dogs who look an awful lot like labradoodles to me. Both breeds have that endearing rag mog kind of look to them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts