Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11.5 week old mulitgen LD pup. My holy terror of a puppy has been on Canidae since I got him (1.5 weeks ago) with some treats for training (Solid Gold Tiny Tots, Lil Jack by Bil Jac-which I am throwing away after reading the ingredients! HFCS!) and Puppy Kong treat). After his puppy shots last week, he was throwing up (they had also given him a dental chew at the vet) and the next day slept most of the day. A day later I was still a little concerned and brought him back to the vet. They checked him out and said his temp was normal, all looked good, and we went home. That was Thursday night of last week. His poop has been on the loose side almost since I've had him. Today it has turned into the runs. Two semi soft poops this morning and getting increasingly loose as the day progressed (2 more poops). I made him rice and ground turkey breast hoping it will help. The only thing I can think of is that my cousin picked up some dog treats at a dog bakery- The Barkery. He's had a few of these since Sunday. So- I am holding all treats and trying turkey and rice tomorrow and see how it goes. I am a little frustrated and feel bad that this poor guys first weeks with us have been rough for him (me too!). Any advice is appreciated! Tracie

G

·
I would take a stool sample to the vet to rule out parasites. It is very normal for a puppy to have parasites.

Also Maya did not do well on Canidae so it could be the food.

I would first rule out parasites if no parasites change food.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I would definitely take a stool sample in. I went through a verrrrry long time with this kind of stuff with Bogart.
I hope the rice & turkey helps!! If it does than thats GREAT!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I've had dogs get upset tummies from stress. Coming to a new home, getting vaccines, etc might have just upset him and this is his way of showing it.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
for a peace of mind and to be safe......take in a stool sample to rule out worms which is very normal for puppies to get within a week or more of leaving the breeders

hope all goes well :) keep us posted
Kinder is gorgeous!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, probably nothing to worry about...I agree, take the sample to a vet tomorrow.
The main worry for puppies with loose stools is dehydration...here is an article that tells you how to recognize it.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2218951_detect- ... -pets.html
If your pup has symptoms of dehydration, do not wait...get to a vet immediately. If not, home remedies are fine until you get the stool sample in.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I would take a sample in and then add pumpkin or pineapple to the food. and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Once you get your puppies digestive problems sorted out I would be very careful on what treats and chews you give. I would introduce them one at a time to make sure your pup can handle them :wink:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Different opinion here..

sounds most likely side effects to vaccines ESPECIALLY the sleeping the next day. I would check out and google shirleys wellness cafe or mercola.com or even homevet.com

michele

·
Registered
523 Posts
Boyd had the runs as a puppy - it's alot for them to get adjusted too.

With regards to the treats, this very well could be the culprit. A few weeks back Boyd became incredibly ill from both ends and I finally figured out that my neighbor was giving him "special treats" with blue icing. Once those were removed he was back to normal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all. We switched him to a bland diet for a day and it helped a bit. Then he went back to runs after DH gave him some kibble instead of the rice and turkey I had cooked. We brought him and a sample in to the vet. They have now placed him on a low residue diet (IAMS) and two meds. First med is to treat possible parasite as his litter mates has (sp?) toxemia? Cannot remember second med as we were at clinic last night until 11:30 PM (way past my doodle's bedtime and mine too!) last night. We are working toward 2 good days of firm stool before starting to transition him to his food. Phew I feel a little better but have not had a pup in 13 years so better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Boy, what a crazy two weeks with your new puppy! :shock: I hope the new food and meds help, and that you get some sleep! Keep us updated! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! So much better in just a full day of new food and meds. He is like a different puppy-much more energy and playful. :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dood's sick to his tummy right now, too, and there's just nothing scarier than a lethargic puppy, is there? I'm so glad to hear yours has got a little pep back in his step :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts