Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a new labradoodle puppy. He is 17 weeks old. He is all black and very cute. We picked him up from the breeder tonight. Our puppy was acting very shy and timid when we picked him up. The breeder assured us that he will come around in couple days and that he interacted well with his 3 kids. I am used to puppies licking your face when you play with them. He just wants to be held close. When we put him down in the garage-he ran and hid under the car. Are they all like this? I know they are even tempered dogs. We wanted a dog that loved kids and liked to play. My husband is allergic to dogs, but wanted a dog for hunting. We were hoping that a labradoodle would be the right dog for us.

My kids & I are confused by his behavior.

·
Registered
46 Posts
He may settle in but

what did he test out as on his temperment testing? This should give you an idea of what you might be in store for. How is your husband doing with your puppy? I am assuming that this is a f1 labradoodle - I would love to know if he is having anytype of reaction.

Good luck and just try to expose your puppy to new things slowly so that he has a better chance of adjusting.

Holly

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Temperment Testing

The puppy is an f1 labradoodle. Nothing was mentioned about a Temperment Testing. The family said it was the best one of the litter. He also was the runt, he was supplemented in the first few weeks. He received lots of attention early on. Is it characteristic for them to be reserved in the beginning? Could it be because he is already 17 weeks and not a 8 week puppy?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It sounds like your puppy wasn't very well socialized in his first few weeks of life. It will just take more patience on you and your family to make this little guy feel comfortable. You must give him a few days to come around, doodles adjust very quickly and I'm sure he will come around with a lot of love and patience. Don't rush things along, let him explore and get use to all his new surroundings. He has a lot to take in. Enjoy this time with your new puppy and he will soon be rewarding you with lots of kisses and a lifetime of devotion :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello and welcome.
I agree with Diane, it takes puppies time to adjust. Puppies are much like children in that each one is different and responds differently to various things. It is hard to say what your puppy has had to deal with or why he is shy, but I agree that once he learns that he can trust you and bond with you he will give you everything he has to give.
Be patient and keep being loving and playful with him. He will soon learn that you enjoy his playful side and these guys do love to please.
If, by some odd twist, this particular puppy has difficulty adjusting, however, you may need to get a professional help with training to bring him out of his shell...but that would be an extreme case, I think. (Although not impossible. :? )

·
Registered
972 Posts
Sounds like you have already gotten some good advice.
Maybe because the pup is a little older, he got attahced to the other family, and now is just scared. They adjust to new situations easily, so I would not worry at all about that.. welcome to the forum, and post pics when you can..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got Fred when he was 14 weeks, and he too was very shy and scared for close to two weeks. He also was happy to cuddle, but he didn't act like a normal friendly puppy. It was a big worry for a while, but he came around and now acts the way he ought. We found it was helpful to coach visitors to let the puppy approach them and to speak encouragingly and not make loud noises (as boys tend to). It is important to reward appropriate behavior, so when Fred was acting social, we praised him. He now greets new visitors with a wagging tail and a not a hint of fear.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

Ronnie. It is encouraging to hear your story. He is content with the kids. He is very alert with a neighborhood dog. Likes to watch him play fetch with the kids. Hopefully we can win him over quickly. The boys are frustrated with his lack of interest. He is eating well and likes to be outside. I am glad we are having a very warm day for December. It is 40 degrees and no wind. Not a typical Dec. day for ND.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just alittle extra advise. i would try limiting his space at first. a big garage may seem overwhelming to him. try putting a small blanket on the floor in your living room with some of his toys. he will venture out as he is ready. sounds like a sweet heart puppy to me. enjoy all the cuddling. now my puppy, 7 months, just wants to run and run and play get me attention no matter what. she's a sweet heart too though. good luck, just give him lots of love and keep things low key and in a smaller space for him.
greetings from alaska,
tina and raleigh the labradoodle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts