Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have been researching goldendoodle and labradoodles for quite some time. We came across a breeder who had older F1B puppies (just shy of 4 months) who was forced to reduce her prices. We made sure that the parents were genetically sound and were satisfied with the overall care of the dogs and cleanliness of the property. Unfortunately, there were only 2 puppies left. They were allowed to romp with the adult dogs and weren't as socialized as they were while with mom and being weened. I chose the more calm shy puppy with the fleece wavy coat due to my allergies...over the wooly, curly coat of the rambunctious puppy (both females). My puppy was at the bottom of the pack.
My concern is, the puppy I chose was very shy to the point of fleeing around people (not terribley). She did piddle once the first day when I went to pet her. It is now the 3rd day and she has finally started to act like a real puppy. She wags her tail to greet me, she is very excited to be part of the "pack". She hasn't piddled when pet, had an accident, is already trained on boundries, getting better at chewing only "her" toys and is very affectionate. However, she is still a bit shy of my children (2 and 4). Mind you, my children behave very well around my dogs. I have been taking the puppy places and trying to expose her to new surroundings, people and sounds. Should I be concerned that she wasn't socialized as well as she could have been? She is an amazing puppy and learns very fast! Another thing is, she shows absolutley no aggression towards our 6 yr old female Kelpie but, I took her to a BD party and they had a boxer there who was in heat. My puppy growled and tryed to snap at the other dog. I scolded her for the behavior by giving her a loud Aaaahhht! Still, she was uncomfortable with the other dog. Aren't labradoodles supposed to be friendly with all dogs? Is she going to be like this with kids? Sorry for all the q's....
Here is our beautiful Mottna:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oh she is SOOOOOOOOOO beautiful!!!!!!! That is such an adorable face and her coat looks like it will be gorgeous! Nice and curly and fleecy.

She will need to be socialized with other dogs an people nice and slowly. I know that many on the forum suggest a "puppy kindergarten" class once she has gotten her last round of shots (4 months). She may just take some adjustment to this big change in her life! Good luck and enjoy her!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the sweet compliments.....
In all, I shouldn't be worried then if I continue to properly socialize her?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Missy,

Your baby is so cute! I wouldn't worry too much about her shyness, but you will just have to be sensitive to her needs. It is just like children. I have one that is gregarious and is always getting her party on and one that is serious and comtemplative, but likes to talk one on one. Maybe you could find a way to socialize her that isn't too intimidating. Do any of your friends have a dog with a similar shy personality? You will get to know each other more and more as your relationship deepens. Good Luck and enjoy your puppy!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Missy, welcome to the forum. Mottna is a beauty for sure!

It sounds to me, from your description, that you are dealing with temperament more than socialization. All pups are different. I would suggest doing an internet search for shy puppy. I'll bet there are lots of articles to help you help Mottna work through her shyness.

Congratulations on you new addition.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Missy, welcome to the forum...Mottna is a gorgeous puppy!
Your question was very interesting to me, especially, because I am a breeder in California and we just sold our last two girls.
Thank goodness, our girls are doing great in their new homes...and I am so happy about that...but you know, I can understand that if this puppy was in a "pack" until now, it is such a huge change of circumstances for Mottna.
In fact, I will tell you that my dogs DO understand what is happening when they leave and the adult dogs DO miss them. The mother of my litter even wakes my husband up in the middle of the night to go outside...not to potty, but to search the yard, looking to make sure her babies are not out there. (It is so hard!)
But, the puppies have adjusted very well, from what I have been told.
I think that you have received some good advice here. Your puppy is just reacting to her new surroundings and everything is very, very different.
You might want to get her a cuddle puppy (they are stuffed animal puppies with a heartbeat and heat, great comfort to some pups.)
Have your children approach her gently, trying to keep the noise and surprises at a minimum for a while. Let her know that she can go to her crate and get away from everyone, if she needs to.
You might want to call your breeder and discuss it with her as well.
I have told all of my customers that I will do whatever it takes to make the transition easier, and I am sure that your breeder will do the same. After all, she can't have had your sweet puppy for nearly 4 months and not love her very much. I am sure that she is concerned for her happiness too and would be so glad to get a report, even a negative one...maybe she can give you some suggestions that will help.
Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your circumstances further, maybe I can make some suggestions that could help. (You can send a private message by clicking on the PM button below.)
We are glad that you selected this forum...the people here are great!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW....you guys are absolutley fantastic and your welcomes are very warm. Thank you.
Well, I just have to say that this little puppy just did a complete 180! Iv'e owned a shy pup before (12 yrs ago) and it took the Aussie quite some time to come around. Mottna is amazing! She isn't even the same puppy. This morning she awoke with confidence and was ready to greet and play with the whole household, including the kids. I decided to venture out again and took our Kelpie and Mottna to the park with the kids. My Kelpie makes an excellent teacher...we've had her help train several dogs. Anyways, Mottna was playing off leash with the Kelpie (in a safe area) and was out and about, curious of her surroundings. She even went up to the garbage man who was noisely slamming trash lids and vigorously shaking the trash bags! There was another dog that walked through the park with his owner and the Kelpie went to greet them....well here comes Mottna after she got the okay from her little teacher. No aggression... good confidence...and she's finally being playful! I was astonished! Again, I am absolutely amazed at the intellegence of this little puppy. She has picked up on everything that I have taught her thus far and it's only the 4th day!
Anyways...thanks everyone for listening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts