Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've had Ginny for over a week now. The first couple of days she pee'd whenever we put the leash on her, but she seems to be past that now. She's slowly venturing into the house from the breezeway where her crate is located. However, many times when you approach her, normally, she'll go running back to the breezeway and either into her crate or under the table. If you approach her cautiously, she doesn't run and will approach you. If you sit on the floor, she will come up and she loves to be rubbed and cuddled.

She's slowly approaching our Great Dane and there haven't been any issues, but they definitely haven't bonded.

When she's outside, she runs around like a normal puppy. As a matter of fact, she's very fast :) . She loves to roll around in the wet leaves.

She has been raised to this point with a bunch of other puppies and dogs. Cats too. But I suspect she has had limited contact with people other than the breeder and his family.

I've never had a puppy with this kind of shy temperament before. I understand it can sometimes be a trait with doodles. Can anyone out there advise me about how long we might expect her to be so hesitant?

We plan on starting her in obedience class in mid-January. The vet suggested this for socialization.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
They need a lot of early socialization at a young age, doesn't sond like she got that but I don't want to Judge since I don't know where she came from.

I would just take things slow with her no fast moving around her things like that and give her lots of love and attention. Hopefully she will pull out of it soon.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have been watching a million dog whisperers its on this week a LOT on national geographic channel (its 276 on direct tv) anyhow if I have been watching right for a shy unsocialized dog they say do not go to it you will make it feel threatened. no eye contact just let it come to you so basically ignore your puppy and it will make itself a family member.

Anyway I think I got that right, but if you have a chance check out dog whisperer. They do a lot with unsocialized dogs and they turn out the best!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
evervescent
how old is ginny??? and you may try letting her come to YOU instead.
You can also put some treats in your pocket as a mild lure :wink: Also if you had her for a week and you have a great dane well she might need 2 weeks . Also do you have kids??

just wondering ...because she just may need time to adjust.

I know in the past it take take some time for animals to bond. Just give ti time :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd echo what others have said about getting them together with other dogs as much as you can. We did this with Bella from day one and she loves meeting her mates in the park. It's good for them and helps cure the shyness

In our local park we often have six or seven playing together, gets a bit mad but does wonders for confidence :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts