Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading another post about a doodle that was taken from its yard by a person driving by (who can blame someone for falling in love at first sight?) I got worried & started to think about some permanent identification for our dogs. Does anyone have experience with the implanted microchips? What are the pros & cons? Is there a brand that's best? How much does it cost & is it painful for the dog? Do they have to be anesthetized? Any feedback would be welcome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi PattyDaisy,

You should definitely do it! It's a very quick and seemingly painless procedure - my vet did it during a checkup when we were discussing it, right there on the spot. She had a needle (like they have for shots), but a little bigger than normal with the microchip inside, and then just in the scruff of her neck quickly implanted it. She then scanned Banjo's neck with their chip reader and lo and behold, she was a permanently identified puppy! We had to fill in some paperwork and send it in, but that was it.

There are two competing brands that have the most market share - Avid is one of them, and that's what Banjo has. I think if you go with either of the two brands, you should be fine.

I'd be devastated if someone took my puppy, or if she ran away, but I feel better knowing that if she ended up in a shelter or a vet's office, they could identify her!

·
Registered
215 Posts
PattyDaisy-
I think microchipping is great! It is implanted between the shoulder blades of a dog with a large needle, but it only causes a moment of discomfort for the dog. They don't need to be put under for it, but many people opt to do it while the dog is being spayed or neutered. I know my vet charges around $30 or $35 dollars, but it is worth much more than that. It is permanent identification for your dog- if your dog gets loose and its collar comes off, without a microchip your dog has little chance of making it home. All vets, animal control, and humane societies have readers that can read the chip. Make sure your vet carries Avid brand or HomeAgain. Both brands can be read by the standard microchip reader. Also, make sure you fill out and send in the information that your vet will give you after you chip your dog. If you don't send in the info, your information is listed as your vet's office. If your dog gets lost in the middle of the night, your vet's office is probably closed! I can't imagine losing a pet!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes...like the posts above state, definately a good idea. I would also recommend going with Avid or Homeagain because (as posted, they can be read by any scanner...some other brands can't) and they both have an anchor to keep the chip from moving around to other parts of the body.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hmm not sure about the anchor you're referring too. All microchips, when implanted correctly, remain in place in the dogs body because of connective tissue, not because they have any special type of anchor. Not sure if that's what you meant.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Does the chip only work with the scanner? Its not like a GPS or anything if the dog is stolen right? Just lost? But still...if someone wandered off!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was told by my vet tech that it was wise to go with HomeAgain and/or Avid because not only will it be easily scanned but....they both have a special hook that keeps the chip from moving to parts of the body. Said that they had problems with them moving before (other brands).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Both my doods are micro chipped. My Old English Sheepdog was microchipped as part of his neuter surgery, though I didn't yet have the good sense to ask for it. But as he aged, he wandered off a couple of times, and while we were having work done on our home workmen left the door open a couple of times. EVERY time, I was contacted within 45 min by my vet or by HomeAgain. I will always microchip my dogs now. Always.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I worked as a vet tech all through college and during those years we went through a few different brands of microchips. None of them had hooks- they all looked like little capsules with smooth edges. They are injected in between the shoulder blades of dogs because connective tissue forms around them and hold them in place. We never had a problem with them moving around more than a few inches. But, I agree, microchipping is a great thing to do!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree! Microchip!
We have our puppies microchipped before they go to their forever homes. It costs about $40 each for us...and we give the registration card to the new families so that their pup is registered in their name.
The chip is about the size of a grain of rice. You can feel it if it moves around, and ours did move to the side of the shoulder on one dog...but it doesn't hurt at all, I have been there when they implant them. I suppose it could hurt if not done correctly. Many breeders do their own microchip implants.
I have our pups done when they are getting spayed/neutered and they are out. But our older dogs were chipped when we got them and had no problems. We have Avid for the older pups (the one that moved) and Home Again for the litters. I think the brand is usually up to your vet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
K9Summer said:
I worked as a vet tech all through college and during those years we went through a few different brands of microchips. None of them had hooks- they all looked like little capsules with smooth edges. They are injected in between the shoulder blades of dogs because connective tissue forms around them and hold them in place. We never had a problem with them moving around more than a few inches. But, I agree, microchipping is a great thing to do!

Wonder why they would tell me that? Especially if it's false information. Makes me think what else is false they are telling me. :x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. My new puppy was microchipped by the breeder when she was spayed. When I took her to my own vet, she agreed that the chip is an excellent idea. She scanned it to verify the id numbers and assured me that all strays/unidentifieds who come to them are scanned. She said all of the shelters iin our area are using them, too. Mine is Home Again and I sent in the registration. An ounce of prevention I say.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Also, check with your local humane society. A lot of them will micro-chip for you for a minimal donation to a very worthy cause- homeless pets. Toby had his done at a pet store adoption day for a $10 contribution. It did not hurt him at all....typical tail-wagging moment. We then sent the paperwork to avid and sent a copy to our vet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
After seeing the amount of homeless pets that resulted from Hurricane Katrina we felt that chipping was a must for our Sawyer. Our vet pointed out that the pets that were chipped actually found their people again. She also said that they had one dog whose chip scanned down his leg, but it still worked! So they do tend to scan their whole bodies just in case there has been shifting.

On a different note about chipping: there was a microchip firm in Miami Beach that was marketing their product for people (creepy), by microchipping super-models' arms and demonstrating how the technology allows you to be scanned and IDed into clubs as well as to pay for stuff. All of a person's info goes into the chip; S.S.#, credit cards, D.O.B., medical history, etc. A bit too "Orwellian" for me!

So next time your credit card bill comes in a bit high............

·
Registered
136 Posts
both ruby and buster are chipped 40 dollars at the vet and 80 to register them with the company that will cover 6 dogs for a lifetime so any other [pups we get will be chipped also

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes microchip.... When my st. poodle was 4 months old she took off into the woods with my older dog (happened in a split second) and they were gone. She was missing for 7 days in the woods. It is just nice to know that I had a permanent id on her,.

The chip in my st poodle did migrate. It is now down low on her rib cage. The vet can still easily scan it.
Terri lynn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts