Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
As a lot of you know Maya has a lot of tummy issues. She is on Wellness Super5 Chicken mix. She goes back and forth with having diarrhea. She will be fine for a couple weeks and then diarrhea for a week or so and then back to normal. I have out her on a GI supplement that I found and since she has been on that she hasn't had any diarrhea. So the question is should I switch her food or just kepp her on it with the supplement?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
if she's doing well, I wouldn't change a thing :) Have you asked your vet? Are the supplements something that is ok for her long-term?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately my vet is at a loss for what is wrong with her w/o doing all kinds of tests. The supplements I think would be good for long term...they just have probiotics and some herbs in them (slippery elm bark and alfalfa) so I don't see that being bad for long time use.

·
Registered
247 Posts
shaia had major stomach issues too which cleared up when i switched her food to one with very few ingredients and no grain except brown rice. this was the key - no fillers, no extra stuff. she also seems to be sensitive to chicken. weird. anyway, she's on california natural lamb and rice which is good for food allergies and all her probs went away. i gave her human grade probiotics too. so it's worth a try i think if you suspect the diarrhea or stomach probs are from the food vs her eating other things she shouldn't. in my experience, most vets don't know that much about canine nutrition.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Heather -- I have the same ongoing tummy issues with Sammy, as you know. Things have been a bit better (or firmer, shall we say ;-)) since she switched to Canidae + canned Merrick food, along with the OptaGest supplement, but she does not yet have the kind of consistently solid poops doodle owners get excited about. I would love to hear more about how things go with Maya in the next few weeks - good luck!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
heather that is a tough one honey.....also as silly as this sounds
without the supplements , have you ever measured the exact amount of food maya eats? i am asking cause just a dash too much food can also cause diarrhea in some dogs

but then again I went thru really severe tummy issues w/max for months!

I sure hope this all works out well

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I use the same cup everyday and fill it up. She has been getting that amount 2x's a day every day. I am just confused cause she has spurts where it is great poo and then there are spurts where it's not. No switch in food or amount of food. So I am very confuse on what to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts