Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I hope you all enjoyed your holiday!

I do have a quick question about Canidae's all life stages food... If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

My Onyx started off on Iams Smart Puppy chicken chiots and then developed an itchy rash. Since then, we've tried a number of diet changes and ultimately I decided on feeding my boy Canidae's all life stages because of its high quality/and no wheat/corn biproducts.

He loves the food, but my baby's tummy is fairly tempermental. Even though he is eating less food with Canidae, he is having multiple poops every day, each of which are extremely loose stool. So, I've been mixing a little bit of rice in with his food to help balance things out.

Onyx is only 7 months old now, so my question is, do you think Canidae may be too rich for him at this point? Or, is it possible that even though I'm following the low recommended amount for puppies/the high amount for adults, do you think its still too much?? (only 2 cups - 1am & 1pm) He acts like he's starving!

I did read the lengthy discussion on food choices on here and I appreciate everyone's opinion. I just don't know what to feed my pup that won't consistently give him the runs. HELP!

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Jamie,

Of course, it is possible that the food may cause tummy upset...but there are so many other things that can cause loose stools too...so you might want to experiment with the food.

Certainly the food could be wrong for him, often Doods have sensitive systems...you could add a tablespoon or two of canned pumpkin to the food (or put it in a syringe and squirt it like meds) and it might help his system. (Not pie mix, just plain pumpkin.)

You might also try a tsp of PeptoBismol. Usually a tsp is all it takes for my dogs to get them regular. (Remember his poop will be black!)

But, if you have not had a stool sample lately, you might want to take one in...it could be any number of parasites that are causing the problem and you would not want to let it get worse, if that is the case.

I am always one for a vet check when something isn't quite right...but in this case, you can try the other things for a day and if you are still noticing trouble...then see a vet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Quin had very loose, smelly stools (and terrible gas) :oops: on a few very high-quality foods. He never had a normal poop until after a week or so on Eukanuba Low Residue Dog Food. (Recommended by - and purchased at - our vet.) He has now progressed to where I mix the Low Residue food with EaglePack Holistic Chicken. (He prefers the Low Residue. He actually has developed a method of taking a mouthful of kibble, "sorting" it in his mouth, and eating the stuff he likes while spitting back out the other. Then later in the day, he gets hungry enough for the EaglePack. I'd keep him on 100% Low Residue but it is more expensive and the ingredients just don't seem to be as high-quality - Chicken By-Product Meal, etc.). Anyway, my point is that even a really high-quality food may still cause upset. The ingredient list of the Low Residue looks to be not up the the "human quality" par of some foods, but it is lower fat, nourishes the "good" intestinal flora & has lower legume levels.

·
Registered
77 Posts
canidae is not for everyone!

hi there. we also had our puppy on Canidae because our breeder had her on it, and also sells it...

our dog had pretty bad loose stool problems while on it, so my vet recommended we switch her to eukanuba low residue until her system got back into balance and healed. then we switched to Iams and she has done wonderfully on that. i would not go back to canidae, and thankfully our breeder didn't push it after we bought the first 40 pound bag (I gave the rest of the bag away after I realized it was affecting our dog badly).

i had talked to 3 different vets who told me that Canidae is HORRIBLE for dogs because many can't handle it's richness, and it is not well-balanced for dogs. So, i would ask your vet what he recommends and try it. don't get all worked up with everything you read on the internet about how horrible Iams or other commercial dog food is, etc. There is a lot out there by extremist groups that can really confuse you and make you feel bad. i know, i've been there! i felt horribly guilty for switching our pup to a commercial dog food, but after talking to more than one vet and trying it, I feel better that she is doing great on Iams. Less poops, no more diarrhea, etc.

I never realized how many schools of thought there are on feeding dogs (RAW diet, "human grade meats", etc). My school of thought is that if you have to feed your dog "human food" like rice or pumpkin on a regular basis then you have the wrong dog food for your dog. Yes, those are fine if your dog has diarrhea and you need to heal their system, but if you have to consistently add those to the food, then the food is not right for your dog. i really don't want my dog eating people food because she begs then. our breeder boarded our dog when she was 14 weeks old and they fed her people food and I swear, she became a beggar! It took a long time to break her of it (i am still working on it), and I feel that she is a DOG not a child, so I want her to eat DOG FOOD! lol. we do train with Dick Van Patten's lamb roll and sometimes cheese, and she loves it, but other than that, we try to stick with dog food and dog biscuits, not people food. and never food directly from the table.

good luck! just keep trying other foods and seek your vet's advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts