Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone~ We have a 2 year old male chocolate Labradoodle now, that I think is the best dog in the world!! We got him at 7 weeks old and never had any problems with him, ever. I think he pooped in the house 1 or 2 twice the first day and that was it. He never has chewed anything. He has been awesome with my 3 year old and 10 month old, really no problems at all, he has been the best dog!
So, my question is... Is this normal?? I don't know anyone else with a Larbradoodle to compare him to, and I know all dogs are different. So I'm wondering if we get another, if she will be similar to our Marley. Meaning if she will be as easy as Marley was as a puppy. We have always wanted to get another, so Marley could have a little sister to play with. But, when we found out that I was pregnant again we kind of scratched the idea of getting another one. Now I am reconsidering, since I think it will be good for him to have a playmate and we don't have any other big dogs in our neighborhood for him to play with. We have a big yard and plenty of room in our house to have 2 dogs, and they will get plenty of exercise. I was just worried about the puppy stage and my 10 month old now and the other one on the way! So, if we did get another I think it would be best to get her now so, we will have 3 1/2 months to train her before the baby comes, and to get that over with (hopefully)!
Please let me know what you think!

Thank you!! Corey

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
My 1st doodle Max was alot like Marley
and now we are up to 3 doodles, each with their own unique personalities.

Ask yourself this: if you were to get a puppy that starts to chew or challenges more than Marley did, would you laugh and try more training?
or would you be frustrated?

as your 2 children have differing personalites , so do doodles.
you could try to find the same temperament as Marley but that is not a guarantee the puppy wont' take longer to potty train or chew.

then again perhaps the training and love you did with Marley is part of the reason he was so good for you

·
Registered
576 Posts
You really lucked out with your dog! Dogs and kids....you never know the exact temperment/personality you're going to get. The plus is the Marley would have someone to romp around with. The cons are that it's more expense, cleaning, attention, etc. Personally, if I were expecting #3 I wouldn't get a puppy just yet but if you think you can handle it, go for it! It's really a personal decision.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver is an awesome dog as well and I do want another at
some point but will he be as wonderful as Denver? hmm I do not know
The only problem we ever had with him was as a puppy because he was a biter..........all the time.........but this ended with training and maturity.
I am thinking that I may not luck out as well as I did first time around, and am ready for a Doodle that may be more work. That way I will be pleasantly surprised if I get another Denver dog again..........

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
To answer the first question, yes you should get another one if you have the time to train, love, play, exercise, etc the new puppy as much as if it were your only dog. i hate seeing people who get a second dog so they dont have to do anything with the first one to entertain it. Granted they will play with each other a lot, and this makes your life easier to an extent, but they each deserve their one on on one time with you. If you have it, it is great having 2 doodles!!!

Secondly, no too dogs are the same. even so called pure bred dogs, or even littermates. we have 2 doodles that are very opposite in many ways. the do share many of the doodle traits we all love, but one is a monster chewer, the other not, one is super food oriented (helps training) the other not. one likes to wander off leash and explore and not come when called until i get very serious, the other comes when i even think about calling, even before i say anything.

Overall, I think you will find most people here recommending being a mulit-doodle home.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
For me it's easier with the multiple doods because they run together a lot faster than I could ever walk them.It also burns off that excited energy that they have a LOT of. With the three, the personalities couldn't be more different. Jonah is the thinker and the gentle leader of the pack with food issues with the other too. Miko is the instigator, squirrel hunter, face kisser. Rumor is the big doofus , prancer, snugglebug.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Our first doodle Dexter is a good boy, but has always been silly and still does naughty things...our 2nd doodle Kirby is really good and the only things he ever does is to bark at things :) I think you probably got lucky with your doodle :)

It is very fun to have 2 doodles, but also more work. I'm thinking if you are going to have another baby in 3 months, that having a newborn and a puppy may be a bit much. If your new puppy was more like a typical naughty doodle, you would be hitting adolescence shortly after you give birth. I'm just thinking it sounds like a lot all at once.

Please post photos of your doodle. Good luck with your decision :)

G

·
Personal decision, BUT...
I would NEVER get a puppy if I had a 3 y/o, a 1 y/o and a newborn. Y'all are just tempting fate :lol: Plus, I would be in the looney bin and/or divorce court!
Seriously, could you just be forgetting how difficult puppyhood was? It is for such a short time, but it IS difficult!
I think you got incredibly lucky with Marley. If you decide to go ahead, can you go back to the same breeder?...and request a clone :lol:

·
Registered
968 Posts
How about getting an adult doodle? You would have a better idea of the dog's temperment, and you probably wouldn't have to do much housetraining. :D Plus, Marley could meet his sister and you could see if they got along well.

You can get a rescued doodle thru IDOG, or maybe thru someone on this forum. Also, some breeders sometimes sell their adult doodles (once they are retired from breeding) as family pets. And there is the occasional "rehomed" dog too. I don't know much about this but I'm sure that some of the breeders on this forum could give you more advice.

We got our doodle, Boo, when he was 6 months old, and he was a lot easier than a young puppy. He was already housetrained, neutered, vaccinated, and the breeder could tell us a lot about his personality. :D Of course now we're in the teenage years... :wink:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree, if you really want another try to find one at least 6 onths old. Adoption, rehome, or just someone off this forum. In the last couple days I have read a few posts on needing a dog rehomed, or someone posting a petfinder add for a doodle. :D GL

·
Registered
385 Posts
We got Manchego when he was 3 months old and he barely ever peed in the house and maybe pooed 1x. He is a bit wary of kids though but he's only 11 mos. right now and I've heard they get over this w/ time and exposure. He also likes to bark a lot and will get into mischief around the house if we don't confine him (shredding tp anyone? :lol: )

Our second doodle, Brie we got at 8 months, 5 months after Manchego... they are actually litter-mates. She was very insecure when we got her and was jumpy. We've really worked on the insecurity and after 3 months she is really gaining confidence and doesn't jump as much.

Manchego is very happy to have her around but he does get annoyed (in my opinion) because Brie is always right there when you pet him or call him. She ALWAYS wants the attention. She also gets jealous when Manchego plays with other dogs.

I did enjoy being a one-dog house and I loved the attention that I could give Manchie as an only-dog... but I do really LOVE havng 2. I don't know what I would do w/out both of them. As long as you train and exercise them then 2 is not really much more work than 1. They play when they are out and mostly just sleep in the house. My doodles get 3-4 walks minimum because we live in a condo.

Good Luck!
Sarah

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Marley sounds just like Cacao. Cacao does like paper but I think she have a great dog. We have been thinking of getting another dog. But we want to move into a bigger house. So we won't right now. But in a year or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your responses!! I like the idea of getting an older doodle... What would be the best way to go about doing that? I checked on idog and didn't have any luck in finding a female. If we did decide to get another I think the best way to go is to get one that is older or an older puppy.

Thanks again for all of your input!

Corey

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sounds like you have the kid thing covered so I agree with the new doodle being 'older' at least housebroken, crate trained and child friendly (no nipping puppy teeth!!!!).

Vanessa,
Paul has already stated: if you want kids, no second dog....second dog, no kids...actually, more like, no kids and as many dogs as you want, heck have a pack!

I'm with Paul on this one! If I did it over again I would choose Doodles over kids in a heartbeat and I'd probably live a LOT longer. :shock: Then again I didn't have the opportunity to 'raise' (TRAIN) my kids :roll:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Our second doodle was a rescue and things could not have worked out better....they are the very best of friends and play constantly...we got Bubba at 10 weeks old and was an excellent mom destructive puppy...we adopted Cosette when Bubba was about 16 months old and she was just a little older...they love each other so much....its great to see them together.......

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
mtd885 said:

I'm with Paul on this one! If I did it over again I would choose Doodles over kids in a heartbeat and I'd probably live a LOT longer. :shock:
OK i have 3 teenagers and 3 doodles hahhaaaaaaa 2 teenagers still live at home with me and my doodles.

NOW other day friend came over with their 2yr old :shock: this was probably one of the smartest tots i've ever been around and energetic too hahhaaaa

I'm with paul and mtd hhahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
313 Posts
I found Cosette on Craigslist....just on a whim i typed in labradoodle and there she was in eugene just and hour up the road...getting her was a great decision...just ask Bubba

·
Registered
97 Posts
ha

I am going to go to a breeder's this weekend to decide if I am going to be a guardian or not. I have an 8 month old labradoodle who has been awesome to train and really not much trouble (I just never post how easy he has been).
I am super committed to the training that both would require, and I feel that this will be the biggest challenge for me.
No plan for kids anytime soon either.... so right now I am pretty much 90% sure that I will be coming back this weekend with a pup!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, it is just my opinion....but.....with your toddlers and a new baby,
even if you get an older puppy.....I would definitely wait awhile.
Let your family make all the adjustments to the new baby
and life with three kids and a dog.
As they get older and things are running smoothly,
then I would consider a second dog. Be sure you get one that is well socialized around children and things ought to be perfect!
Well, as perfect as things can be with a new dog in the house.
My Coco was so easy in many ways, but a nipper, chewer, and a thinker who is a little too smart for her britches....
Abby is laid back, not a biter, not a big chewer, smart as a whip,
but absolutely no trouble.
It is a good thing I had the tougher of the two first.....
AND I am 55 yrs. old and nearly an empty nester....
Soooo, my time is freed-up some now.
Hope you make the right decision for your household...
2 is wonderful, and I hope to another puppy in a year, or so!!
8)

Windex, I am excited for you to become a guardian. I guess all things worked out to your satisfaction!! Wonderful!
:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts