Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Henry in yesterday for preliminary blood work because he is being neutered on Thursday. The vet just called and said his Alkaline Phosphatase levels were around 700. I guess that's really high. They are going to recheck it on Thursday and depending on the result, he may or may not be having the surgery. Anyone have any information on this???

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did a search on it. It seems that one of the reaons it is high is related to puppies' age:

"Age effect: AP activity in young, growing animals of all species may be 2 - 10 times higher than in adults, due to increased BAP isoenzyme. Values decrease within 3 months of age and are within adult ranges by 15 months of age. Note that some Siberian Huskies have benign (transient) familial hyperphosphatasemia. This is characterized by high AP values (> 1100 U/L at 11 weeks of age and > 700 U/L at 16 weeks of age). It is not associated with any clinical effects and is due primarily to the bone isoenzyme"

Keep us posted on what vet says.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Alk Phos is related to the liver for humans...and I just looked it up - it's the same for dogs. Did they run full blood work? Alk Phos (as well as ALT/AST) are all consider liver function tests. High or low values for these tests could mean something is going on with the liver...however it's not always something bad. For example, in humans, elevated values could result from a night of drinking too much alcohol...basically it doesn't mean there is definitely something wrong (however I doubt your doodle has been drinking).

I work in the clinical field and a high value like that can mean something is wrong or could be an error. I would try not to worry too much and wait to see what the retest shows because lab errors are not uncommon...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Henry is just 6 months old. I am hoping it is just because he is growing so fast. His legs alone have grown to giraffe lengths lately. They re-do the test tomorrow and depending on the result, they will decide about being able to do the neutering or not. I'm trying not to panic but it is so hard to not worry.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I know it's hard, but try not to worry...as the others posted, results can mean a number of things or could be completely an error. I think your vet is just being careful (which I think is a good thing) to make sure everything is good before operating.

I worry about the smallest things w/the doodles so I definitely understand :) Hope it all turns out well!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
did he eat any fatty food s befor the test?..usually fatty foods will case a rise in the APL..

though a high level of APL could mean there could be a liver or bone problem developing..the vet. just told me that they wanted to know whether there would be any problems with any medications during and after the neutering..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He did have a rawhide for the first time. Don't know if that is considered fatty or not. He got it when he "graduated" from his puppy class this weekend and his test was on Monday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the vet retested him today and the level was about the same. Because everything else is great - not even a hint of problem - she said not to worry. We'll retest him in about a month and see what it says then. If it goes up, there may be cause for concern but at this point she just wants to keep an eye on him. I feel better about it. They are going ahead with the neuter but will keep him on IV fluids the whole time and while in recovery to help flush his system and will give him a different pain killer to come home with that will be easier on his liver just in case.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I'm glad to hear it doesn't sound like anything serious. From my limited experience, generally just one of those values being high doesn't normally mean there's a problem...if all the liver function tests are high than that's different.

I hope he has a good surgery and you don't need a cone for him :wink: Good luck keeping him "quiet" :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts