Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that I probably know the answer to. We have a shoe bench that can hold quite a few shoes, keeps things organized. :D Toby seems to think it is a smorgasbord. Do we need to remove all the shoes to keep him from taking them or is there a way to train him to not take the shoes? :? This shoe thing and ripping apart plants in the planters on our deck and ripping out the grass leaving mud spots seem to be his favorite past time(s) right now! :x Isn"t this the face of an "angle"?

Hi, mom!

Caught with the grass im my mouth!!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Toby is definitely a cutie! I would try bitter apple on all the shoes and shoe bench. I have had success with that. I've also sprayed it on my potted plants and it worked too. It wears off after a while and may have to be repeated. I've noticed that sometimes one application works because Doc thinks it will always taste that bad.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree- bitter apple spray! Silly doggy! You know, his face really reminds me of Duke. He's just adorable.

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow! What an adorable baby! Great pics! (Looks like he is hamming it up for the camera! Tooo cute!)

I think that you need to train him with the "leave it" and "drop it" commands...and don't leave him alone in the shoe area...not until he is past that phase!

Seriously...bitter apple may work...none of my dogs were deterred by it...so you might just lose a few shoes. We finally decided to put a "fence" around things we absolutely HAD to keep safe from our chewers...until they outgrew the need to chew them. (The 'fence' consisted of of kennel pannels...those have been wonderful for us!)

I still catch my chewers with pens and markers, but for the most part, shoes and other things are left alone.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I just have to say that the first pic of Toby is soooooo cute. I think it should be published somewhere. It would make a cute poster with some cute saying with it. It is very unique!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was amused because he looked like he was laughing! :lol: Here is what happened when we took some of the shoes out of the bench. We are working with the leave it command to see if he can learn to "leave" the shoes. :)

Who took the shoes?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I don't believe you, you should not tell such stories on such a sweet innocent little fella. I mean, look at that face and tell me he actually did all those naughty things you say he did :D

Actually, I bet the bitter apple will make him think twice about biting into one of those shoes. But if you can teach him the "leave it" command, it will come in handy on LOTS of different occasions so I say try both, the bitter apple will instill the "leave it" command when no one is around to say "leave it"!!!!

What adorable pictures of Toby, if you get tired of having your shoes torn up or shrubs ripped out, you can send him to Kansas :wink:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dixiedi, This must just be a nightmare, he would never do those things he is an angle! :twisted: I think my husband might take you up on your suggestion for a trip to Kansas but I am just going to wait to wake up! :lol:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I don't blame you, Toby is a keeper no matter how many shoes he shreds :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Look at that funny picutre!! I think that you have a little actor on your hands! He is sooooooo danged cute! I love the picture with him climbing in to find a shoe! Way too cute!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Lisa, there are several different ways to teach leave it but the way my instructor showed us was to have your dog on a leash and have someone else toss a treat nearby, when he goes for it, tug on his leash and say leave it and give him a treat. This only takes a few times, always treat when he doesn't go for it. Toss the treat, as it hits the ground and you can see your dog anticipating the treat, say "leave it" in a stern voice, when he leaves it, give him a treat and praise, praise, praise!!!! He will soon just sit there when the treat is tossed and you say "leave it", tell him good boy and treat!!!! After he has the idea down you can set up some distractions around the yard and take him walking (with leash) around the yard and go up to the distractions and say "leave it", when he does, REWARD!!!!!! Let us know how he does, I bet he'll be LEAVING IT in no time :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Diane's suggestion sounds excellent!

My dogs didn't mind Bitter Apple either...and I used hot sauce, reluctantly, they liked it! I don't like hot sauce or red pepper because your dog could so easily get it in his eyes...can you imagine the pain???

You might just need to tether him to you and crate him when you can't...at least until he learns.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Marty we think he is adorable but he does have horns :twisted: There will be many things to bring me smiles when he stops doing them! :lol: We are going on vacation at the end of the month and a friends son is going to come and stay with the puppies. I'm not sure he knows what he is getting into! He is not working right now so that is good for us. His shoes won't be safe! I am getting nervous about leaving my babies since the only phone service will be cell phone and they don't always work. :cry:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is Roby a F1 or F2? and what kind of coat would you say he has please, as his coat looks like my labradoodle and I cant make up my mind if it is going to be curly wavy or hair coat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts