Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me while I vent!

I just discovered Charlie eating my husband's best dress shoe. These are his very favorite and now a nice chunk of the sole is missing. Who's fault is this??!! My husband still cannot seem to remember to close the closet. It would be great if my doodle could leave shoes alone but we all know he can't. So why can't a grown man learn to shut the closet door?!

OK... I've found all the pieces and superglued it back together. It doesn't have quite the same professional look but it may work for awhile. :roll:

Deb

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ack! Just came back in the kitchen to find Charlie chewing on the SUPERGLUE!

He is really on a roll today. It would serve him right if his mouth was glued shut. :twisted:

Deb

G

·
Deb it's only 10am and alll this destruction!!!! hahaha sorry to laugh but that's a riot! Sounds like Charlie needs some exercise!!! A tired doodle is a good doodle!!!! hahaha
I'm glad Maya is not a morning dog! She likes to sleep in. All my doodle antics take place after 12 pm here!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
DEB how old is he? is he near 6mos? hahhahaa or even 5mos has its moments

last night i didn' know my son left the living room door slightly open and his bedroom door wide open

Son came home and i said: thank you for learning hwo to close the living room door as i have been asking you to do this now for 10years.
YOU are NOW MINUS 2 pairs of underwear, 1 sock, and 1 new black tee shirt. and YOU can now replacements with YOUR MONEY."

we were going NUTS last night everytime i turned around they had a different item but did DROP IT AFTER they chewed off a piece hahahah

anyway, my 15yr son is grounded today and helping oout with housecleaning. I thought i'd have him murphy oil soap and then lemon oil the LIVING ROOM Door :wink: hahhaaaaaaaaaaaa
I am hoping this helps him to remember hahahahahaa

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I ground my husband? :lol:

Charlie is almost ten months. Lately he's been so busy with Lucky that he hasn't gotten into much. Perhaps we were lulled into a sense of false security?

Heather, you are right. We need a walk and we are leaving the house any minute now. The sooner the better!

Deb

G

·
Annmarie you are a mean Mom!!! hahahaha
My mom never could ground us. She would always let us out of grounding after about an hour!

Ok back to shoe chewing......

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
10 months old was the start of the really fun adolescence time for us - it got better by 12-13 mos. However as you saw from my other post, Dexter recently ate a sock and he's 18 mos old...on top of that he'll grab my husband's work boots from the garage and do doodle 500s through the yard with them. I guess my point is that I'm not finding he's outgrowing this much so we just try really really hard to keep shoes and socks away from him.

Sorry about the shoes

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leslie, I'm not expecting Charlie to outgrow it anytime soon. :roll: The good thing is that he has learned the DROP command and will usually give up his treasures easily. And usually I'm tuned in to what he is doing.

We've had our walk and Charlie and Lucky are both napping under my desk. We have a little reprieve around here for maybe half an hour.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
good going DEB!!

and Heather...my son is now going skateboarding :roll: he cleaned his room and put away all dishes. I can't stay mean for long hahhaa

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
MaxandMe said:
good going DEB!!

and Heather...my son is now going skateboarding :roll: he cleaned his room and put away all dishes. I can't stay mean for long hahhaa
Perhaps you should treat your son like a dog :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Deb - just a thought, but have you tried spraying bitter apple on the shoes? If Charlie hates the taste it may deter him from chewing again :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lmtoth2 said:
Deb - just a thought, but have you tried spraying bitter apple on the shoes? If Charlie hates the taste it may deter him from chewing again :)
No I haven't tried that. Do you think it would leave a weird texture/smell or otherwise problem with leather? I have used the spray on table legs, wood molding and other evidently tempting spots and it works well. I'll go read the label.

Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
DebBrown said:
lmtoth2 said:
No I haven't tried that. Do you think it would leave a weird texture/smell or otherwise problem with leather? I have used the spray on table legs, wood molding and other evidently tempting spots and it works well. I'll go read the label.

Deb

Do you have an old pair of leathers you could try the spray on first to see how it reacts to leather?

Sounds like Charlie is full of it today :wink:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Deb ... One thing DH LOVES about having Ebbe; since the day we got her I have put my shoes away. I was a shoeaholic years ... decades before I was a doodleholic. I'll put up with alot, but destroyed shoes? :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have done 2 things in past

1. put a shoe next to our doodles while watching tv or a movie
everytime they go to chew the shoe i say NO, then good boy, and hand them their chew toy

max took 4 hours to learn DO not chew shoes
Peanut took ......too long
Beau is doing good so far

2. one day i lost it hahahaa and made Max and peanut pick up the shoes and walked them to the door where we keep them and then made them DROP IT
hhahahaa they havent' chewed shoes since hahahhaa

NOW my basketball slippers...another story for another time

i do say, every time you say NO if you can give them one of their toys, say how good they are it can help teach what they CAN and Can't chew

for some doodles it's a maturity thing
max never chewed, peanut did till 11mos old

1 - 15 of 15 Posts