Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I wish I had more time to keep up with all the conversations here, but...

Darwin is now 8 months and about 65 lbs - very stocky! We are in constant training mode b/c he gets so hyper. Much of what we do for him follows Cesar Milan's book. He gets long walks 3X's daily.
But, at 65 lbs, he is still going crazy jumping on people, and it's putting us in a bad position - he almost knocked down a handicapped man yesterday.
Also, the cats continue to live in fear; he snaps at them any chance he gets.

So for these reasons, we feel it might be appropriate to get a shock collar to aid in the training. A while back this was a topic, but I can't seem to find it. I would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences with shock collars, and the proper way to use them. Alos, if 1 brand is better than another.
Thanks,
Darwin's moms

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/Darwin49/doodle_boy8months.jpg

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have a few quick questions;

1) have you done any obedience training classes?
2) have you tried a prong collar?
3) have you tried at home ignoring your doodle and having company do the same when Darwin jumps? also does he pull on the leash too?
4) have you tried raising your knee...NOT knocking him down ok? i mean just raise a knee more to block his jump saying NO JUMP and mean it.

I haven't used shock collars but can call a friend here and ask if she had success or not.
My thought is to get more serious training...or do some private trainer clases and see if that helps along with a prong collar?.

I am sure others here will help you more than me. I was just trying to give more of a reflection to getting back to basics first then proceed from there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, we haven't done formal class training, but have read the books, and as I said, we are constantly following the 'rules' to good behavior.
Ignoring Darwin when he jumps is not possible. He knocks people over.
Walking on the leash, we have made great progress; he normally walks well - he used to pull all the time. Now, it's only when he sees someone, or another dog.
Haven't tried the collar you mention - I'm not familiar, but will look into it.
Thanks.

G

·
Hi Darwin's Mom!
The collars are now called Electronic Collars, E Collars or Remote Collars :D
There are trainers that are trained in their proper use and I would only use one WITH a trainer I trust.
We have been working with a trainer and using the e collar for the past 4 weeks. I am amazed and thrilled with the incredible results. Bella will no longer jump on people, she will sit and wait when commanded, she has an almost perfect recall command, she has a great 'drop it' command, she can walk calmly on our walks with NO pulling. She will be able to walk off leash if we want very soon.
I made sure I knew the level of 'zap' she would receive AND how it felt. The feeling is very much like a TENS unit (if anyone has ever had this therapy for back pain, you will know exactly what it feels like). It is not painful at all and it does gain the attention of the dog. It is nowhere near the level of the zap an invisible fence would give if crossed.
Bella is much happier and calmer now. There is no more lunging for the dog when a visitor arrives. Our home is much more relaxed.
Here is a list of trainers:
http://www.sitmeanssit.com/schools_trainer.php
Here is a short article that explains the e collar a little better:
http://www.sitmeanssit.com/articles/article14.html
And here is another list of trainers:
http://www.canineworld.com/Directory/se ... ollar.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would only use a shock collar as a last resort after having exhausted other training (formal). Also, I would only use it under the supervision of a trained expert.

G

·
I would never harm Bella just to get her trained. Do the research, try out a collar, see what the feeling is. It does not hurt. Hurting a dog will only make them LESS receptive to training. The Remote collar works and it works fast.
"The remote collar is a gentle and effective tool that utilizes a feeling not unlike an electronic “tap.” The tap is unique, minutely adjustable and less forceful than a leash and collar. It’s a feeling that dogs of all sizes, ages and temperaments take to quickly. Not only that, but dogs properly introduced to a collar as a language, not just a correction, will develop deep-seated behavioral changes for the better and can be reliable off leash in very little time."

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I love my collar I have used it on all my dogs (except the four pounder!!)
I wouldnt be without it. Period. I also use electric fence.

I dont think people understand when you say shock collar how it works and what it really is. It sounds scary by name, but in practice is the best and quickest training tool I have ever used. Its not hard at all and is so great I highly recommend them.

(as a note I went to use the collar the other day and it wasnt charged and I couldnt remember the last time I had used it! Its not a constant or an everyday thing, it trains the dog. Their behavior changes and it changes quickly. In fact I lent it to my mother for two weeks and she trained her dog to not jump up and to leave the yorkie alone. After she returned it she would upon occasion pick up the TV remote (dog though it was collar remote lol and didnt realise she didnt even have collar on!!) and after that her verbal commands are all it takes. )

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree with the others, I would only use a shock collar as a last resort, and then only with good training support.

One idea for the jumping up...I learned this technique on this forum and it worked great for us when nothing else did...when Darwin jumps up, take his paws in your hands and hold them up high so that it is uncomfortable for him. It shouldn't hurt him, just make it uncomfortable. Keep talking to him and be sweet, but keep his paws above his head. He will try to pull away, maybe even try to nip at your hands, but ignore that nipping for now because you are trying to teach him that jumping up isn't fun.
Then, let him go and when he is on the ground, praise him and give him lots of attention. We had to do this 2-3 times and our dogs, all of them, stopped jumping.
OTwo of the best commands that we have taught our dogs is "go to your spot." and "stay in your spot." The "spot" is anywhere we point to...and the dog, once in the spot, can do anything he/she wants, they can eat, play, stand, sit, lie down, anything...so long as he/she is in the spot. Be sure that you also release him from his command after a time. WE do that by clapping our hands and in a happy voice saying "release!" and the dog can then just do his thing.
We had a trainer help us to teach these commands and we did use a prong collar...but in using a prong collar is is IMPORTANT to fit it properly, it does not go on like a regular collar and you need to not pull on it...a quick jerk to get the dog's attention is what you need, like a mother dog nipping at his neck. The idea is not to hurt him, but to get his attention so that he knows you are the one in control.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Linda and Movistar!!

Thanks for the tip....had never heard of this method and it sounds wonderful to me. I was horrified when Coco came flying in the house and leaped onto a visitor.....totally "mauling "her...in a friendly but forceful way. Good thing she was sitting down!!
This method doesn't sound the least bit negative to me....the links were very informative and I am calling the lady in Dallas.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Darwin is sitting on the couch, of course! When he's behaving, I like him sitting next to me, and he likes it too. Maybe you shouldn't be quite so judgemental as to what I allow.
:shock:

Thanks to everyone who wrote in. I have purchased the pinch collar, and was given a lesson on how to use it. It has been effective when out on walks and we run into someone or another dog.

The "e-collar" does sound like a good solution, as a training tool. I am going to look into it further.

Thanks again,
Darwin's Mom :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Darwin's mom...glad you found something that works for you. As for couches, I tell my family that if they want to sit on the couch...they WILL have a doodle on their lap. In fact, he's there now! This is an old pic, but I could get the same shot daily! :lol:

Or this couch.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
My son is going to bring me his "e-collar" to try just for boundries - I am trying to decide on a vinyl fence or electric - I am afraid he will bolt after the deer and bunnies through the electric so he said this may help me make up my mind - He used the "e-collar" for his two dogs barking at night and they dont bark at all anymore - he just has to put them on them and they are quiet - it only took a few days for them to catch on. He loved them now when they take their last potty run for the night he doesnt have neighbors complaining.

G

·
Bella loves the couch, (soft, comfy leather), but today I introduced her to the chair by the windows. :lol: She sat there for an hour just watching outside! (The trainer does not like her on the furniture, but I pick and choose what works for us from the trainers 'suggestions' :lol: )

G

·
Gene,
Ha, the chair does look like it's just her size...and she thinks the quilt is pretty nice (tasting) too! :lol:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
She's been reading Jonah's posts again, I see! :oops: We only had 1 fatality today.....another dining room chair cushion....6 down....2 to go! I think that's a record. I now consider them larger, more expensive chew toys. Might as well put squeakers in the last 2! :roll:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Might as well put squeakers in the last 2!
Ok now ya gone and done it I am crying again from laughing so hard!!!
Ah Gene, if I am ever in a sad mood I just have to read some of your stuff on this forum and I am laughing again. You are awesome!!!!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts