Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and my Labradoodle Hailey is 11 months old. She has wavy fur that is several different colors.She's mostly black with red/brown under her chin, salt and pepper on her back, and grey towards her feet. My question is: When is a Labradoodle supposed to stop/minimize shedding? She still sheds quite a bit.
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning and welcome to the forum.
I hate to be the one to address this issue with you (I wish that your breeder would have spoken with you about it...) but some Labradoodles DO shed. Especailly F1 dogs. Do you know if your dog is an F1? If so, there is a good chance that the shedding could slow down some, but probably will not cease.
However...if your puppy has not been a shedder to date, and just started, she is at an age where she most likely is "blowing" her puppy coat. When a dog nears her first year mark, she often will shed her puppy coat and replace it with the adult coat.
Labradoodles are very different from each other because there is no breed standard set at this time and since the breed is evolving, it is common to find shedding Labradoodles. This is due to several factors, but breeders are doing a disservice if they don't tell buyers that there is a real possibility that their dog could shed, especially if that puppy is a first and even second generation.
I hope this helps...
We'd love to see a picture of your puppy if you'd care to post one!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and Thank you for your Reply. Yes, she is a F1 doodle. At the time she (breeder) mentioned there was a chance Hailey would always shed but it would be minimal. It's not exactly minimal. She has a beautiful coat but, because of her color you see it instantly on my neutral floors. We still love her anyway. She's great with my kids and she's well manered. I've been trying to upload a photo but can't seem to get it to work. Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I understand about the shedding. Our F1 girls shed quite a bit, but it slowed down a lot when they reached their first birthday...and now they don't shed much...but still enough. If you brush her every day, that will probably help with the shedding too. I use a "hair" type brush for that, the "pin" type is good, but the hair type collects more loose fur.
I have trouble posting pictures sometimes too and I have not tried since the forum has changed posting guidelines...but what I do when I can't post is to put them on Shutterfly and then email an album to myself and copy/paste the link to the forum. It isn't the most handy way, but it works for me!

·
Registered
11 Posts
shedding

My dog is 14 months and has the shaggy hair. I recently trimmed her and found that this cut down a lot on shedding. She'll shed some, but not as much as a pure lab will. Trimming will also help this summer with swimming and hiking, etc. She loves the water! LaVonne

·
Registered
294 Posts
All dogs shed in the summer, we had dogs non shed and lived in Spain, if I had not clipped them, they would have shed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone! Thanks again for all your suggestions and support. I'm still trying to upload a photo or two of Hailey. I'm going to have to figure out a different way to share photos until the system is fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts