Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just have a question for you this morning. My F1 is 10 weeks old. So far he has a way fleece/wool coat and there is not a shedding hair to be seen. I know the risk of shedding is higher for an F1. I am wondering for those of you out there that have F1s, how many were non-shedders as puppies and then started shedding later on with their adult coat? We love our new babe and wouldn't change a thing, but just want to know what we might be in for in terms of shedding. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Lily!
My baby is also named Bailey : )
We got him when he was 16 weeks and he will be 7 months old on Halloween! He is an F1 and has a fleecy coat. He is a non shedder.
I am no expert by any means but I believe if your baby were going to shed, he would already be doing so. Does he lose any hair when you brush or bathe him?

Again - no expert advice here - just wanted to pop in and say hello!

G

·
No expert advise her either but Maya does not really shed. When I brush her (rarely cause she hates it) there is a little hair in the brush but I need to brush her several times before there is enough hair in the brush to get it out between the bristles. Maya is a North American Retriever so I am not sure if they go by generations or not.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi, Lily. My 18 month old F1, Uma, is a shedder, but it isn't nearly as bad as the other dogs I grew up with. When we got her (at 12 weeks) she hardly shed at all and the shedding increased once she blew her puppy coat. Again, it's not bad, but if I pick her up wearing a black shirt I'll definity have little blonde hairs all over it. I know my mom had to vaccum all the time with our Golden and it's not that way with Uma.

Good news is, although she's a shedder and has more of a "labby" coat, my sister-in-law who's allergic to dogs has no problem being around her.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Charlie is a year old, and when we forst got him at 10 months, he didn't shed much at all. Now, all of a sudden, he is shedding like a mad man. Not sure if getting his winter coat has anything to do with it or not. Even though he's shedding right now, my mother-in-law who is very allergic to animals, has no problem being around him.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hershey is an F1 hair coat. She sheds a little, 10% of the amount that a lab would. We only notice it in the corners of the room and stairs if we get really delinquent on sweeping, it doesnt come off on clothes or furniture, which is what we are concerned about.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Our Ebbe will celebrate her first birthday on 11.02.07.
She is an F1 (mom, yellow lab/dad, black standard poodle).
The most she has shed was when she blew her puppy coat and even that wasn't significant.

The amount of shedding she does now is so minimal I can't even say she sheds,
and I tell folks it is about as much as my husband and I lose daily!

We probably have the world's cheapest brush, but it does have that plate for easy hair removal.
We've never taken more than a smidge out of it.
She does love to be brushed!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max is a F1 and didn't shed until he blew his puppy coat from 5 to 7mos old and since then sheds just a little bit. But i don't get it on clothes etc just around the corners and baseboards

Peanut is a f1 goldendoodle and never sheds :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. That gives me a good idea. We had a golden retriever before and I could brush him all night and still not be done. It was year around also and heavy. So even if he becomes a heavy shedder in labradoodle terms, it will still be quite light compared to my golden. That I can handle!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cub is an F1 and a year old. My house is a complete white fuzzy blur!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Cubadoodle said:
Cub is an F1 and a year old. My house is a complete white fuzzy blur!
isn't white reflective of "innocence" hahahhaaaaaaaaaa
that and you can see it when vacuuming :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts